Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss paint only @ LA Roadster show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Autodave, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those that need info,----Have a great time!!

Attached Files:

2. They make the rules,go and park in the designated area that is set aside for everything else or stay away,it's that simple. HRP

3. Just go, if ya don't you'll miss 1 of the best shows in the U.S.
    Makes no differance where ya park.

4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I'll be there......I'm going.....I'm headed there soon......I'm going to LARS 2014.....by the way, did I tell you I was going to the 50th Anniversary of the LA Roadster show with the 4th Annual Great Greybeard Adventure 2014 group.......I can hardly wait....and I don't care where I park, if there is any trophies or decals, slick paint, satin paint or beaters......I'm going to have a good time, talk about and look at cars while I meet people of like interest........ANYBODY ELSE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING...HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED JUST GOING AND HAVING A GOOD TIME WHILE WE'RE STILL ABLE TO DO IT..........Ever think about that?....by the way, did I tell you I'm going to the 50th Anniversary of the LA Roadster Show in Pomona?

Attached Files:

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I couldnt say it better myself. The entire event is one of the best just go and enjoy it ALL.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the first LAR show July 31, 1960 Hollywood Bowl parking lot, Tom MC mullen was the first show chairman. 50 open cars were present for mugs.----Don;)

Attached Files:

7. You clowns are forgettin all about the comradery & meetin up with friends to BS & bench race. Park where you are supposed to & no problems, just have a good time . enjoy things for what they are.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Don. The LARS has been on my "Bucket List" since the late 1960's, and I really hope I don't run out of years. I enjoy reading about the history of things automotive, knowing the history of the headlight stickers is of interest to me, if others don't care about it it sure isn't anything I'll worry about. Bob:)

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

No kidding, some people can fuck up a free lunch.... :rolleyes:

10. In 1999, inside my program was the headlight sticker. I don't know how it has been since then. A 50th anniversary of most things is very special. There will only be 1 of those. The LA roadster club is made up of some of the most generous people I have met.

11. metal man

metal man

Me too, buddy! I'm going this year
    For the first time, and driving my phaeton. I can't wait!

I don't much care where I park or anything like that either....I'll try to park in the roadster area and get my mug, but I know I'll spend most of my time in the swap meet.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Kinda my thought too. The OP's car could be considered to have a gloss; how would they measure this? some sort of reflectivity gauge?

13. The only guy that I know of to get in with a flat paint job was ME!!!!! mug and all.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did you accomplish that David?-----Haaaa!

15. Hey Tanner, I got an idea, ya wanna go to the L.A. Roadster Show?:D::cool::D:rolleyes:

16. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Nahhh!....can't find anyone that's pumped up about going.......Everyone is B@#tchin about where they got to park and why they can't park with the slick cars..........RULES..RULES...WHINE..WHINE WHINE.......I Pray I get to park where people are there because they love cars and talking to people about them...........Maybe they need a section called "The Wine Tasters" for all the whiners.......Ya'll look me up if you like to talk cars and have fun......I don't drink, so whiners need not apply.....hehehehehehe..........I'M GOING....DID I MENTION...I'M GOING TO THE LARS 2014

17. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Hey Don.....here's the Headlight Decal installed and ready.........

Attached Files:

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good Donnie------Save one for me!

19. :Dpersuasion!!:D
    :D :D:D:D:D:D:D

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Being from Ohio, taking my 33 to the L.A. Roadster Show was very high on my bucket list... I had never intended to have shiny paint even though in the 80's it wasn't that popular to run a primered car... I called first and was really pissed that it had to be painted... the shop was going nuts that after all the work, I wasn't going to paint it... they offered to paint it for the cost of materials and it was the only way I was going to get in - so, I went for it... I keep telling myself that I could always primer over it and the base paint would seal it... Well I have my pewter mug and the car never did get repainted... moral is - it still looks like an ol hot rod and I kinda got used to the paint...

[​IMG]

and it probably wouldn't be part of the Gilmore Museum exhibit if it wasn't for them thar L.A. Roadster rules

21. You DA MAN Donnie.
    Got a few of the "Greybeards" askin when they can get the windshield banners and H/L decals.
    If ya want to forward sum 2 me I'll disperse them to the guys who will B on the Adventure with us.
    Don

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There was a time when most car shows didn't allow primer.In the past hot rodders did the best they could and wanted to show there craftsmanship and finished cars with paint and upholstery. I don't understand why people want to make there cars look like they belong in a junkyard. Is there no more pride in workmanship?

Ago

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

A guy lives down the road from me has a satin black truck, very expensive, doesn't look like junk.

It is a 2013 Expedition, came from the factory with satin black paint.........;) Whatever next, factory primer spots? :D

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

exStreamliner - they do know that you have a "closed" car? or does roof remove?

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

It is a Cabriolet with a removable hardtop made out of a Tudor sedan roof section by Harrold Duffey

26. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Dang...I didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I was just curious, I have never been to it.

27. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Just go, You will not be disappointed. It is a great show and the swap meet is HUGE.

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Yes... I can go topless...

the point I was trying to make earlier... its their show... their rules... I wanted it bad enough to change the direction of my build... It will always be a fond memory... they treated everyone who displayed a car like they earned the privilege - free admission, dinner, & a pewter mug...

[​IMG]

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice CAB.---exStreamliner!---Glad you painted it!
    Neal East had a removable aluminum top made for his (Doane Spencer) '32 roadster also, came out real nice!---Don

30. deucemac

deucemac

Here's my two cents worth.I go to the LA Roadsters meet every year since it was at the Great Western. I was able to park in the roadster exhibition many times in my old roadster, a '27 on deuce rails that was far from high zoot expensive. It was flawed like most but looked pretty good and ran great. The main point I would like to make is that I have been to shows and rod runs, big and small for more than 40 years. I considered it an honor to be allowed to display my car there and was ALWAYS treated very well. I never went to a Goodguys,NSRA, or other event and received the way the LA Roadsters guy (and Gals) have always been, Deuce Daddy Don included. Me and every other roadster owner is welcomed, shown respect, made to feel like we really are important to the show, and thanked for coming. I am most impressed at the Saturday night dinner ( a freebee and included as a part of the experience) where the roadster club members stand to the side and will not eat until all the roadster "guests" are fed. Sunday after the mugs are distributed and the magnificent sound an sights of 6-800 roadsters fire up and drive out, here are club members walking along or standing in strategic locations smiling, waving, and actually thanking us for coming. I haven't been anywhere else where that happened. Several years ago I had a financial setback and was forced to sell my roadster,I was able to slowly start a new car a few years ago and just painted it recently. I am looking forward to once again being part of the exhibition. I parked in preferred parking for several years as the car got finished and enjoyed a lot of good people there. My feelings are that if it is required that the car be done to be in the exhibition, so be it. If the rules offend you, either don't go or park in the preferred parking. I'm a graybeard old fart (wear t-shirts and jeans, never owned a gold chain, hate power parkers, and figure that GOD gave the 4 round black things that touch the ground to allow us to drive the snot out of our cars and not to keep the frame from rubbing on the garage floor or to locate the car on a trailer) nowadays and Me and the friends I have grown up/older with all felt that primer/dull paint or unfinished interiors were never a badge of courage. I have 10 Mugs and look forward to the 11th for the new roadster this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.