Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of rear end is this???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Feb 21, 2014.

1. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I was told it was a dana when I bought the car, well it is not I do know that much....however I do not know what it is.....so how bout it, what the hell is it???

Attached Files:

2. Larry T

Larry T

Pontiac/Olds. But maybe not, what's the wheel bolt pattern. P/O is 5X5.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

5x5 but really strange backing plate and such...never seen one like it..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

World famous (our "world" anyway) 57-64 Olds/Pont. Appears to be the Olds style backing plates/brakes (they're all interchangeable). Lots of info on these right here on the HAMB, including several specific threads. Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. mechanic58

mechanic58

Pretty neat - those big Olds/Poncho axles used to be what everyone ran when they wanted to make sure their rearend wouldn't break. I think you can still get quite a bit of parts for those axles - gears and diffs, etc. I woulda liked to have had one before I started building my roadster, I woulda used that instead of the 9" Ford.

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Thanks guys..I am pulling it and putting a 9" under the car anyway just currious as to what this one was...the 9" I have is all rebuilt with new brakes and locker. Jim

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

To me it would be a shame to replace an Olds rear with a 9" Ford. They were the first bullet proof rears that all the serious race cars ran in the 60s. Yes you can still get parts for them. An Olds rear is a hotrodding icon. IMHO You will find more vintage Halibrands with 5" bolt patterns than the 4.5 Ford pattern. Probably not a popular opinion but If you grew up with the legendary Olds rear you might understand my feelings. Most probably won't.:(
    Sorta like putting a MII front suspension in to replace an old dropped axle.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

What he said ^.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you keep the Olds be prepared to spend big bucks. A 9" is way cheaper to build.

11. No it wouldn't especially when you consider how close to branson I live. ;)

12. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

9" axles were around at the same time. No shame in switching. Just as traditional.

13. Tommy,it's not nearly that bad!,a 9" Ford is except-able,,the Mustang II is a down right sacrilege ! :D HRP

14. Not hardly. Back then the O/P rear was king shit and unless hes replacing it with an early housing 9" its not even close.

15. Ford 9" rear axles were introduced in 1957,,I believe the Olds introduced their HD rear axle in 1957 also.

I the early says the Olds rear axle was the favorite with drag racers and hot rodders.HRP

16. Larry T

Larry T

Actually the "good" Olds/Pontiac rear end was introduced in 1957. I think the reason they were THE rearend to run back then was that they were stouter than the Fords. They were still in cars making passes while the Ford guys were picking their pinions and driveshafts up off the ground. I don't think Ford rearends were the hot setup until they started beefing them up a few years later.

Attached Files:

17. You are correct,I was modifying my post when you posted. HRP

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

For me it's a nostalgia thing. I only blew one rear end...a 55-64 Chevy...blew the spiders and then welded them up.:D Hell I can't even blow an old Ford banjo:D WE have some guys around here that can build a nice Olds rear. I wouldn't rush out to find an Olds rear but if it is already in the car ...it sounds like a waste of money IMHO

19. You guys must have missed the word HOUSINGS :rolleyes:

20. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I am not saying the 9" was as popular or as good as a rear end... but there are alot worse options he could be replacing it with.

21. First pic=traditional.
    Second pic=stronger, but not traditional.

Not all 9" rears are created equal.

Attached Files:

22. desotot

desotot

So, I'm wondering, if the 57-64 olds/american pontiac rears are strong[canadian pontiacs use a chev rear] What about 56 olds, are they any good? My son has a 55 buick and needs to change to an open driveshaft and I have this 56 olds rear laying around that is the right width and has a 5on5 pattern.

23. No, they used really coarse splined axles. For a stocker type car it will be ok, but if putting down power with wide or sticky tires, the axles IMO are the weak link.

24. stimpy

stimpy

wasn't till the daytona carrier was built that the 9" was just as good , seen many a O/P behind fuel motors that would gernade a non Daytona carrier .

freind of mine has one that came out of a 60's nitro funny car , many years abuse on it . all we did was rebearing it and weld ladder mounts to it , it will live a leasurly life behind a Blown and injected BBC in a 62 II ..

25. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Originally the popularity of the Olds/ Pontiac rear ends was due to the fact that a 40's olds pumpkin was a bolt in on a 57- 64 housing. This left you with a strong housing, bullet proof axles and good brakes. The 40's olds rears were almost all 4.38 or so ratios. Instant drag race parts at junkyard prices. Or so my failing memory says. That's my story and I'm sticking to it till corrected.

26. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Seems to me that the hot tip was the Olds station wagon housings. I watched a guy put one in a Pro Stock Camaro in the early 70's. That could be why your backing plates look a little strange.