Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cool McCool's Garage shop roof collapses.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 22, 2014.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My dad called last night and said, "I have some really, really bad news." Since he's 89 and my mom is 83, I immediately thought somebody was dead.

"The shop roof collapsed under the snow, I saw it when I went out to get the mail.", he said.

We have a 30x60 pole building with 16 foot ceiling, which has all our wood working equipment, an overhead trolly crane, my '65 Del-Ray truck camper, enclosed car trailer (with our '68 Mustang convert inside), our '67 Caddy DeVille convert, the '63 Coupe DeVille, and the '12 Hudson Speedster. I don't work primarily over there, but do when I'm out of room here, or something like the camper that won't fit in our shop here at home, and obviously have lots of cool old stuff stored there.

My wife and I went over last night and surveyed the damage as best we could in the dark.

The car trailer with the Mustang inside, the Del-Ray and the '63 are in the part of the building which did not collapse, but the '12 Hudson and the '67 Cad are,the Caddy taking the brunt of the damage. It appears to be setting on the rocker on the right side,with most of the ceiling, roof and snow right on top. The Hudson was close to the back wall, and has a little damage, as near as I can tell, but it's not unscathed.

Two big table saws, a band saw, sawhorses, a roll around tool chest and work stands which were beside the Caddy appear to have absorbed some damage and are supporting SOME of the ceiling/roof off the Caddy, but it's not gonna be pretty.

I'll have to hire somebody with an end loader to remove snow from in front of the door to get the other stuff out, should the rest of the roof (a separate truss system) come down ASAP, but it's quite a blow.

Happily, our Pontiac woody wagon and convert are over here, along with the Diamond T, the T'Bird project and our Spartan, but it's quite a blow.

The pics don't show much, but under the mess is (what remains of) the Caddy. The Hudson Speedster is under the plastic cover , with the roof on the left side, the Caddy sets nosed up against that, just to the left of the left side running board.

Damn.

Brian

Attached Files:

2. Ouch that hurts, hope not to much damage.

3. slychamp

slychamp
    from Qc ca

X 2 ouch!! make sure it safe before going in there.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much snow was on the roof that caused it to collapse? I bet you've got a lot of guys checking to see what their buildings are rated for.

5. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is sad, I hate to see cars like the Hudson get damaged.

6. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope you can get everything out and stored elsewhere without any more surprises. Gary

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That is terrible news. I hope everything gets sorted out quickly and the damage is repairable.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Be careful under there, hope the Hudson is ok. Bob

10. Sorry to hear this. You guys have taken a ton of snow this winter. I hope all is well.

11. khead47

khead47

Insurance????

12. jdubbya

jdubbya

That really sucks Brian, the cars did get a beating, but luckily it happened when nobody was inside.

13. 26Troadster

26Troadster

that sucks, i hope everything works out for you. this winter has been a bitch.

14. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Is this the one on aa trail in plymouth??
    I am just down the road from there

15. Man,I can't imagine how much this sucks,with all the snow it's hard to tell just what kind of damage is there,hopefully it's not worse than you are expecting.HRP

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The Speedster looks just minor damage as was tight against the back wall, so there is debri against it but not on it. The Caddy however has TONS of stuff, pretty much the entire roof and two feet of heavy snow on it. It's on the rocker panel on the right side, can't be good.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man what a drag! Hope insurance covers it all.

18. diamond dave

diamond dave

im sorry to hear. i'm glad to hear thar nobody was hurt.

19. Ole don

Ole don

What a winter it has been. I hope the Caddy had winter insurance.

20. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

So sorry to hear about this. This winter has been a rough one for sure. I hope all works out for you and your family.

21. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Or maybe a SNOW RAKE ! They cost about $50 and if used can save you a lot of grief!

22. rustang

rustang

Dude, that is too bad, feel for you.

I spent every night this week raking my house and buildings hoping this would not happen, only to have a tree get blown over in this weeks storm, and punch a hole in my shop roof. Just got inside from throwing a temp patch on the hole and sawing up the tree....

I usually love winter but it can leave now.

23. This winter has taken a toll on maney of us, myself included. A roof caving in is horrible. Im glade nobody was hurt . Hope everything works out for you and your family! Mikey.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

an accident like this is never easy. lucky that you are close to your parents to be able to help them out. hopefully there are more family & friends that can help you out. as for insurance, guess it depends on type of policies and coverage - agent can help you no matter what.

25. Model T1

Model T1

Sorry Brian. I've been following along what our sons in central Illinois have had to put up with. Over 6" of ice on roofs and now flooded yards from a sudden warm up. It's not pretty anywhere up north or east.
    Best of luck and be careful no one gets hurt.

26. Man that sucks. But be glad your first thought was wrong.

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sorry to hear this, but am glad that no one was physically hurt.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Brian.Hope everything works out all right for you and yours.
    Be safe.
    Leo

29. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Sorry to see this. Hope all works out.

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm glad I or my Dad wasn't in there when it caved in. That's the important thing. We have an excavator coming over Monday morning with a big end loader to move the snow so we can get in and get the car trailer, camper, and tools out, and insurance adjuster is coming out Monday afternoon.

On closer inspection, the Caddy's windshield isn't broken, the top is intact, and while it's squatted on the suspension on the passenger side, it looks like the roll around tool chests are holding a lot of the roof/ceiling/snow up off the car. I'm sure it has some damage, but it's not a total loss, although we won't know how bad it is until the roof is lifted off it.

The building looks a mess, but it's just the trusses on that particular part, and should be pretty easily fixed. By someone other than myself…

Your comments and sympathy are appreciated, and, as has been said, it's only stuff, nobody got hurt.

Brian