Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Plymouth Concord, What Next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Learjet76, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Learjet76

Learjet76
    from Miami Fl

I have dropped it 4" in rear and 3" front, left the patina paint alone, but I feel it needs something else. Roof rack? Paint job, French headlights, something. I'm scared to do too much on account of selling it one day.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390224249.985331.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390224270.963997.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i like it as is. a bath in some clr, maybe a coat of clear to seal it and drive it.

3. George

George

Where you're in Miami with a lot of salt in the air I'd go for a paint job before it gets out of hand.

4. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

FYI..."Concord" wasn't used until 1951...1950's were P19/P20's...no names. P19 was short wheelbase 111"...P20 was long wheelbase 118 1/2".

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Paint........

6. 35desoto

35desoto

external sunvisor - some love em - some hate em- in your case I think it would look neat

7. That's pretty killer!!!

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That "patina" needs to be sanded away, a primer shot on, sanded and a nice glossy coat of paint sprayed on. That's what your sweet fastback needs.

9. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture.

10. Learjet76

Learjet76
    from Miami Fl

I'm trying to figure out what color?

11. To my eyes it doesn't need one single thing...it looks perfect to me!!!!!!!

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Car is real cool looking as is, but it needs paint quick IMHO. I think a light blue like the stock ford color from early to mid fifties fords would fit this car well. Idk why but a sunvisor and light blue paint in my kind would make it seem like an early surfers car. Maybe some vintage surf stickers in the rear windows and a surfboard on top. Sorry, it's winter here and -45 with windchill so the sun in your picture has my mind wandering off...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

14. bgaro

bgaro

i agree on paint, you'd get your money back when it's time to sell. nothing fancy, just nice single stage. i'm not a visor guy though.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Besides paint, I think this car would look nice with the bumpers pulled in closer to the body, and the bumperettes removed. Maybe 1 1/2" front and rear, you'll have to trim the pan and slot the holes in the bumper brackets. Obviously you don't want the front to get too close to the peak in the grille, but look at the "underbite" it has now, and how far away the ends of the front bumper are from the front of the wheel opening.

I've also seen a couple of these Mopars where people have extended the forward part of the rear quarter bumpout a few inches, so it's a little more balanced. More like the Chevys of the era had. It's a bit of work, but gives nice proportions, especially with skirts. The stone guards can be retained if you like.

16. 54 ply

54 ply

Nice,I have a 51 Plymouth Concord If I can figure out how to download some pics I'll show you. How did you lower it?

17. 54 ply

54 ply

[​IMG]Not sure this will work

18. 54 ply

54 ply

Try this upload one more time

Attached Files:

19. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I vote for paint as well. That's far past "patina" and needs some protection. Nice looking ride though.

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

Looks a lot like my '48 coupe when I found it. I ended up pulling all the moldings, treating the surface rust and then two-toneing the car with gray lacquer primer, light on the bottom and dark above the belt molding which I reinstalled as soon as the primer was dry.

Then I took my time repairing the body one panel at a time, repriming as I went along. The car always looked neat and presentable - it took me quite a while to do the bodywork, the car was a mess - and when the bodywork was done the car was already primed and ready for final paint, which I applied myself.

Like others who have posted before me, I am not a fan of visible rust on the body. But primer spots...yeah, that's the ticket!

Good luck!