Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Rock'N'Race Reunion Dragway 42 West Salem Ohio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Feb 16, 2014.

1. diamond dave

diamond dave

i never have anything fast enough for a dragstrip, but i still want to go to show support for what sounds like a great show in the works.

2. bustingear

bustingear

Right that shuld not be part of it.

3. Street Shaker, Thanks for the heads up! I am the one who invited the Jr. Dragsters to race with us on Friday night. It is my way of spreading the gospel of traditional rods and customs. More than likely most of us are here because of some car or event we witnessed when we were kids. This event has the makings of being really good. I personally have rented the track with my own money to make this event happen. The track is giving me complete control. ( Insurance does keep me in check:D) I am confident that I know what you all want out of an event, and I will deliver. I also am the one who decided to let all kids under driving age in for free for the whole weekend. Yes, we lose money doing this but it is an investment I believe that is more inportant than some cash now. The track is on board with my decisions, they too are all about customer satisfaction. The Jr. Dragster program will start at 6:00 pm on Friday and last approximatly 3 hours. While they are running the program the staging lanes will still be open for participant time trials. At 8:00 the first band will take the stage. Also, there will be a show car field and swapmeet to check out. Its just a couple hours of the event and it may have an effect to last a life time.

4. Racing is just part of the fun! Thanks Dave!

5. fms427

fms427

Don - I used to race at a "Quaker City Dragway (I think)" in West Salem, Ohio in the 60s - is this the same place ??

6. StreetShaker

StreetShaker

Quaker City - Salem, Ohio
    Dragway 42 - West Salem, Ohio

Add to the similar city name confusion, both tracks first opened in 1957.

7. StreetShaker

StreetShaker

No problem.

I just remembered how HAMB-Nation freaked out when the track went from limiting the event to 1972-older machines to allowing Pre-1976 vehicles, so the Junior Dragster invitation didn't make sense.

I am glad to see a bigger gap between Rock n Race and Blue Suede Cruise. Dragway 42 had always held the event in July and apparently the Baders noticed how well that month worked as BSC suddenly moved to that spot on the calendar beginning a couple of years ago.

Sincere good luck and hopefully the Labor Day weekend will be kind to you.

8. Carl over at Sandman Performance has committed to bringing out his wheel standing Henry J and make some passes! This thing is new, so it out to be fun watching as they learn! Maybe they will let me take it for a spin:D

Attached Files:

9. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya looks like dragway 42 will be a blast to go to agin.. Thanks don for trying to save such a good event. Looking forward to it....

10. BSL409

BSL409

Anything for the Nostalgia Super Stockers ?

11. I do not have a class for them as of now. They would run Hot Rod II. If there were a large number of you guys, I am sure we could figure something out.

Don

12. I can't believe what they have planned for that track! It is amazing!

13. bustingear

bustingear

Ok ok now I guess we will be obligated to teach them how to drink beer.....

14. bustingear

bustingear

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!

15. Anymore details on what's in store ?

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

tell us more about the future plans of the track Don..........would like to make it a regular stop like I did in the 60s.............

17. I think they are waiting to unveil their plans at the IX Piston Powered Show...so I can't say...but I know it will be a place you want to race, and watch!

18. An open letter to all Racers and fans from Ron Matcham, Joe Gambino and Aaron Polburn

Good afternoon to all of our loyal Dragway 42 friends, racers and fans. In the interest of being as transparent as possible, as we go forward with the renovation of Dragway 42 we wanted to update everyone with the information we can provide now as well as address some issues raised by you, the customer.

First we will start by addressing the track. McConnell Excavating is performing the work on the racing surface and are ready to move as soon as Mother Nature will allow. The track will be entirely concrete along with the shut down and guard rails.

Now for the question that everyone has been asking about, the schedule. Currently we are planning on racing Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Wednesday would be Test and Tune, Grudge Racing and Bracket Racing. Saturday would be comprised of Test and Tune, Special Events, and Bracket and Index racing. Sunday will remain the designated day for the IHRA Summit Super Series. This is our tentative schedule, and may continue to evolve as we get closer to the season. The 2014 Dragway 42 schedule will be released very soon, and will be available for pick up beginning at the Piston Powered AutoramaMarch 14-16. As always, we will make sure that all media and social media outlets at our disposal will constantly be updated.

One item that was asked about at the recent swap meet that we attended was the pit area. Dragway 42 has had a less than desirable reputation for its pit area for years, and that is an area that we are committed to improving. The trees and grass will be remaining mostly intact, with some other improvements also to come.

Ron, Aaron, I and the rest of the Dragway 42 team are extremely committed to recreating this historic facility with the intent to open and race this summer. We do not want to rush, or give anyone false hope with this project and sacrifice anyone’s safety, time or money. We are committed to giving you, the customer, the best possible facility for 2014 and beyond.

Thank You for your patience,

Joe Gambino

General Manager – Dragway 42

19. The new track is going to be 4000 feet long and all in concrete!

20. DH9185

DH9185

I believe I read where the extension was going to be done at the starting end since a county road precludes doing so at the big end.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I would guess you would have to be right DH9185 as if I recall you would hit the highway before you reached 4000 feet at the top end. Of course that wouldn't be a first as if I recall the overrun at National Trails crosses a two lane road before you hit the gravel

22. they are also putting in 200' of sand at the end.

23. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

hell ya going to be nice...

24. richie rebel

richie rebel

is every one going up to thompson first weekend of june???

25. No, they changed the date and I will be at the Hunnert Heads Up!

26. DH9185

DH9185

I plan to be at TRP.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I may go up and vend depending on the weather....seems like Thompson is the thunderstorm capital of the world. When it rains up there it really rains....but when it's nice it's beautiful

28. Ok, so far we have a verbal commitment fromt the East Coast Gassers and the Great Lakes Gassers for the Gasser Group World Finals on saturday night. Any other Gasser Organizations out there want to compete? You need 8 cars!

29. Don have you heard anything from Gasser Racing Series? I heard your event was on our schedule. Our racers meeting is Sunday and we'll get the official schedule then.

Art

30. Art, I have not heard anything, so maybe they were waiting until their meeting! I hope they decided to participate!