Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was your backyard paintjob worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 28, 2009.

1. txturbo

txturbo

I invested $500 in a HVLP Turbine system from TP Tools back in 1998. I've painted at least 10 cars, 2 houses, couple trailers and loads of small parts with it since then. It's portable and self contained. Can take it anywhere and paint and all you need is 110 volts to plug it into. If you are going to do just one car it's not really worth it to invest in all the equipment to setup up a conventional system. I don't even need to paint a car inside with this thing. I do it outside in the driveway on a calm day with just a canopy overhead to keep the sun off.

2. '48IHC

'48IHC

I've painted numerous projects in my garage and they come out great. Hang some norton plastic and tape it all together, run a couple fans on low (one pulling one pushing) with a furnace filter on the outside of the pushing fan. wet the floor and walls down slightly and hang as much as you can vertically and they come out pretty clean.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Not for me it wasn't.. Had my project sprayed 3 time by a " friend"...botched it up all 3 times wasting 3 preps and 3 paint kits.... I thought to myself.."how hard could it be...etc,etc".. I shot myself in my driveway..Slick as snot ,but panels did not match each other... wasting two more complete paint kits and prep jobs ,my thoughts changed considerably... Local pro painter took it in , shot it in his booth and sent it back to me $600 ( including materials ! ) later, looking great...

4. elba

elba

Painted in my barn. No booth. One fan to move air. Base/clear. Color sand and buff.

Attached Files:

5. I've done driveway/garage paint jobs starting with a laquer job in 1966. Probably painted 12 to 15 cars since. Everyone of them came out nice, at least for my expectation, except the last one I did on my '57 150. I'd never shot metallic before and it has to be redone. I'll use the same color, just not metallic.

A pro can spot the driveway job at a glance but friends and strangers are blown away, "You did that?"

I keep it simple with single-stage paint and spray enough so that the birds and leaves that are attracted to it like stink on shit can be sanded and buffed flat. The worst that can happen? You sand the panel and hit her again.

6. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Ppe... Ppe... Ppe... Ppe!!!!!

7. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

We've been painting cars for years. Began with the old Dulux, through Nason, and on to the newer systems. Haven't tried water-born, but may at some point.

Always do it yourself unless you can afford the tariff for a professional job.

Maaco is an illusion. The promised land that never appears. Pretty much every shop is staffed by the same losers and the paint quality is crap. Low end Sherwin Williams at one point. No matter what cruise you attend, once the gang learns that you painted it yourself, they pick it over relentlessly and ALWAYS mention one Maaco place or another that did such a great job on their brother-in-law's El Camino.

Crap !

Maaco never ever really comes through, there are ALWAYS problems. Earlier or later on. ALWAYS ! !

Paint it yourself, slowly, carefully, thoroughly, thoughtfully and pay attention to every single detail. Let it cure forever, color sand (WET ! ! ! With glycerine in the water.) and buff to perfection.

And never look back at, "If only I'd taken it to Maaco."

Luck,

TC

8. '48IHC

'48IHC

Water born is some nice spraying stuff. Water born primers and basecoats spray very easy. The primers are super easy to sand. However, the clears aren't worth a shit. They yellow in a couple days. I've just put solvent clear over it instead. It's stupidly expensive and really only has an advantage over light colors, especially light metallics and metallics in general. Takes fewer coats to cover and the drop coat or fog coat is much simpler and doesn't create any dust or slight graininess in the base..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Do your prep work and take a class at the local vo-tech and use their paint booth.

10. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

I might be the wrong guy to ask because I do everything myself but I painted about 10 cars. started with lacquer. Have done mrtalicw and nver had problem, just need an even coat and maitain same distance of gun. Done a couple of enamels. Have not graduated to base coat clear coat yet. I bought a quart of single stage last year but haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. Yes it is definitely worth your time if you take the time and do it right. If you don't do the research and figure out how to do it right then you are wasting your time and yes prep is 90 percent of the job.

My 2 cents,
    Dan

11. morac41

morac41

Hi .. Be prepared to do prep work..and lots of it....if you are lazy and dont like repetitive work dont even attemp to paint do it youself....if you are painting candy or other base..color..clear type paints..be prepared to spend time on prep or you may as well just tip you paint straight into the shitter....

12. FWIW, current beater is painted Rustoleum out of spray cans - outdoors - and three colors at that.

Where I took my time with the prep work, like the replacement southern door I put on last spring, it looks nice and has held up fairly well. Where I was careless and in a hurry, it's pretty obvious. But it's a beater, it sees road salt in the winter, and I wanted to be able to clean it up and touch it up out of the can when it needed it. Plus when I got it it had gaudy decal stripes in two shades of pink and they had to at least get covered up.

From 25 feet, you can't really tell anything's wrong with it, and that was good enough for me.

13. chopped

chopped

Any dummy can paint, I'm proof of that. Single stage, sand it into submission.

14. pitman

pitman

Yep, Chopped nailed it.

I haven't read the entire thread in a couple of years, but would suggest you set up a positive-pressure air supply. I used Home-Despot ice-cube freezer plastic tubing, 40' was cheap, and joined one end to a face mask. The other to a fresh air, fan source. If you use the urethanes, cover all skin, eyes, face, neck! And give the car, (maybe overnight) to fully de-fume afterward.

15. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Much has been written on this subject and I will admit that I have not read every post but one key to a great quality home paint job is the buffing process. Do yourself a favor and use a basecoat/clearcoat system. Once that is done wet sand with 1200 and then use Trizact 3000 grit paper on a good DA sander with an interference pad and then use the 3 stage 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound system and it will come out great, TRUST ME

16. Judd

Judd

My experience with paint shops here in Mississippi is I can do better job than they will do!

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've painted several cars in a three car garage over the last 25 years and all have turned out well. Most of my cars are drivers but still look good, clean everything first, tarp off the area and follow the instructions on the paint. Base clear is easier since you can color sand and buff easier than single stage. I did the pickup in 1999 and it's a daily driver, my sons Mustang in 2008 and T-Bird in 2010

Attached Files: