Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone tell me what size sockets I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ga66mopar, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ...you must be young and full of ambition;...even if I still was, I'd use a torch.

2. Noland

Noland

If you done it plenty of times before why you asking what sockets you need? I'd take an assortment you never know what you might encounter.

3. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Torch would definitely be the quickest and easiest to use. Jack the car up, torch the suspension, pull the axel.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. If you don't have a torch, take a good cold chisel and a BFH, split the nuts and they come off easier. If you have lots of time and a strong arm, hack saw and extra blades!

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I would be more focused on cutting/smashing/chiseling/prying tools than anything else.

Those bolt threads are going to be toast. So just cut the bolts. Easy.

You are going in with a wagon? Carry the tools on the way in. You don't want to carry the tools up the ridge? Climb and pull them up with a rope.

You are enterprising enough to narrow Olds rear ends for your 55 Chevy - use that creativity on going in with more than you likely need as that is usually the difference, when you can say 'glad I brought that' as opposed to 'wish I had it'.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do you have a parts manual drawing of the rear with its related parts identified? That might help.

7. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

This is all you need.

Attached Files:

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'd cut the control arms, parking brake cables and brake hose with a blue wrench.

9. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I have my Dewalt sawzall charged up and my tool bag packed up. From what I can tell the 59 & 60 pontiac has an odd one piece upper control arm right in the center. The trunk pan may be rusted out which could make it easier to cut. Sometimes the wheels can be tough to get off. I will know tomorrow.

There about 6 59-60 pontiac and olds laying around this old junkyard and I plan to get each one in case I need any spare parts. Tomorrow I plan to get maybe two.

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

... It is 11/16 stock... But Ive seen many been changed over the years to larger and smaller headed bolts....
    I kinda wanna see a video of you coming back down a steep slope with a rearend on a wagon though...

... I WANNA 60 OLDS!

11. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

Thanks

Here's a pic of the old girl.

Attached Files:

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Be very careful and don't let that car fall on you.

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Could I come shopping with you sometime?

14. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I usually try to find some old wheels laying around and stack them under the frame. I will not take any chances.

Here's another pic. I hope it has the rear hub caps on so the lug nuts are not to rusted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is, by far the best suggestion to date! getting the nuts off the bolts is LESS than half the battle. usually, the bolts are rusted to the bushing sleeves and cannot be pounded out. Since you plan to narrow the rear end and install it in a completely different chassis, it would follow that you are not planning to reuse the control arms. The advice above is the easiest and fastest method to remove it from the chassis. You'll still have plenty of work to do getting it out of the woods.........

16. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I agree I plan on doing some cutting. The trail going up to the car is wide enough for a car. I may take a two wheeler and try that.

17. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Borrowed my buddy's(really) small hf generator, took a sawzall and went at it,pull- a -part in Oh don;t aloud fire

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Or leave the wheels on and give it a push :D

19. 5window

5window

The correct size to fit the bolts will be the one size you didn't bring.

20. Man, those pics look like a tinder box

21. Remember, those early olds/Pontiacs have LEFT hand threads on the left side lug nuts. And if there's a 57 Pontiac rear axle in the bunch, grab that one first...it's a bolt-in for a 55-57 chevy and you won't need to narrow it unless you plan to run really big tires. Don't forget the left hand threads on the left side lug nuts.

22. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

That seems to be the way it usually works out.

23. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

Good advice on the threads. I don't remember seeing a 57 pontiac but I will be on the lookout. Does that include a 57 olds?

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

What else you got up on that hill? Also I dig those tailights

25. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm diggin the oval gas door. Can you take other parts off this car?

26. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

After thinking about it I am going to wait next Sat to get the rear ends out. I probably need to take someone with me. Don't need to hurt myself dragging the rear ends out. The old guy that owns the place will only let me take parts off from 8-12 on Sat. I need to get some new blades for saw anyway. I will post some pics of the rear ends.

I can get any part I want. That is a pretty cool gas lid.

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Don't light a torch up there you will never make it out...

28. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Bring a breaker bar and large ball peen hammer.

29. Just work safe and smart.
    :)
    -Pat

30. swe64

swe64

first thing is to look inside glove box for a red decal that shows if car has a posi rearend.if you have 6 cars and one posi rearend take that
    oldsmobile have same rearend