Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '51 Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beyond static, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

75-degree day ... sure , rub that in , LOL !!

Seriously - it's lookin' good .

2. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks man. We had a cold snap last week with 26 degree weather, and now it's warm again. Looks like it's going to be another Christmas wearing shorts and flip flops again lol

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I wish that was our outlook for christmas . It's gonna be 50 tomorrow - that warm enough for a motorbike ride to work , but that about it , ha ha !!

4. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Got the trunk latch finished up. I wanted to keep it simple and didn't want to mess with solenoids, so I'm using a pull cable that comes out in the passenger rear wheel well area to pop open the trunk from outside the car. I also picked up a re-chromed 49/50 rear bumper and built some mounts for it. It's amazing how different many of the parts were from year to year. The stock '51 mounts were no where close to the same as the 49/50's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. daddio211

daddio211

6. Awesome build so far, and I LOVE the color! What did you use for motor mounts to get that 302 in the S10 clip?

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a very cool build thread. Nice job. I really like the dark red.

8. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks guys. For motor mounts, I used the 49-51 ford to SBF conversion brackets. They were already on the car, and half way lined up on the S10 clip. After some trimming, they fit perfect and I welded them on.

They were similar to these http://shoebox-central.com/Store/Product/2501CP.aspx

9. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I bolted on some of the front sheetmetal earlier. I'm going to end up welding the splash pan to the fenders and building a grill surround out of exhaust tubing to mimic a mercury grill surround. Also got one of the headlight rings trimmed down so it can get welded on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Progress has been slow. I've been doing some research on shifters. There aren't many options for the FMX trans. The Lokar required a new shifter arm to be installed in the trans, which would point up and interfere with the floor. I ended up using a B&M cable shifter using the C4 shift arm and a modified C4/C6 transmission bracket. Spent a couple hours earlier hooking it up and it works perfect. I'm up in the air about either cutting the shifter off and mounting a 16" shifter, or just replacing the B&M knob with something else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had a little help in the shop
    [​IMG]

11. throttlein

throttlein

Will the steering box be a problem when using a 49-51 Ford radiator?

12. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I doubt I will run a 49-51 radiator. I've seen some people say it fits, but it's very close. I'll more than likely run a wider radiator than the stocker. My tires hit the factory inner fenders, so when I build new ones, I'll fab a new radiator support to run the radiator of my choice.

13. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Where did you get the pull cable latch for the trunk!? Thats exactly what I had in mind for a trunk latch on my car. Im with you on not using solenoids.
    Sweet car by the way.

14. 4rod

4rod

Keep it up lookin good.

15. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

The latch is an Autoloc unit. I've got an extra if you want it for $25 shipped. The cable came from a suburban that I cut it down to fit. The pull handle is a yellow emergency release handle found inside the trunk of all newer cars.

16. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Not much of an update, but I just got one of the major missing pieces to the puzzle. I bought a '51 hood from UnionVilleHaunt. Major thanks to him for shipping it from New Jersey to Louisiana. I set it on top of the car to get a picture since I haven't seen the car with a hood on it since I bought it.

[​IMG]

17. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

So close… yet so far away… HAHA…. I feel your pain. At least it looks like you have a cool old caddy from the previous pictures to cruse while this one is under construction? Are you doing that maroon color for the whole car? I don't have the money to make it to the round up this year…. but maybe next year?

18. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I plan to paint the whole car maroon and use red microflake on the roof. That's still a long ways out though lol. You're right, luckily I have the Buick to cruise in while I'm working on the shoebox. I'd love to tear it down and fix some of the minor rust issues and paint it, but I don't need 2 projects going on at once. I'll have a cold beer ready for you at the roundup next year

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The hood looks to be in great shape . That's a major plus !

20. It's been a while, any more progress? I wanna see the red on the body, I think it's gonna turn out awesome!

21. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks. You're not the only one that wants to see it painted. lol I haven't done much the past few months. I did some rust repairs on the hood and got it mounted. Got the door and fender gaps a little better as well as mounted and modified the inner fenders. I ran brake lines a few weeks ago and that's as far as I have gotten. Next thing to do will be getting a 67-70 mustang radiator to fit and then wiring/plumbing the engine.

22. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Hey what did it all entail to rehang the front sheet metal on the S10 clip? Did the new clip affect that at all? Also, did you Z the clip or just keep it straight?

I'm starting to think more and more about going this route with my '51. Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I did not Z the clip. Looking back, I wish I had gone with a 1-2" Z to help get the front end lower while maintaining good suspension angles. I'm running tubular upper control arms because the stock s10 upper balljoints were close to maxing out.

I made a pair of "T" shaped brackets out of angle iron that bolt to the outside of the frame and the splash pan/gravel guard bolts to the top of it. I have not worked on bumper brackets yet as I plan to go with a 49/50 front bumper and will more than likely build brackets from scratch.

24. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

You running Ford pattern rotors or some Chevy rear end? S10?

My dilemma is I want the S10 clip for all the reasons you did it but I have a good running flatty at the moment. If only the flatty could go back into the S10 clip... Not sure though

25. Should work if you used truck water pumps with the pedestal mounts.

26. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

chevy front rotors and ford maverick rearend. I'm running dual lug pattern wheels.

27. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

awesome build you got going there, cant wait to see more. i am also about ready to clip my shoebox. i read the plumb bob method thread you posted the link to but i still have a few question you might be able to answer. where do you "measure" the s10 clip to ensure its level from front to back. i was just starring at my s10 clip and nothing on it is flat to check for level. also how do you make sure spindles are steered straight before you plumb bob off of them.

28. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks. It's been a while, but I think there's a spot in front of the upper control arms that is flat enough to fit a small level. Hell, I may have just eyeballed it lol. There's a few holes on the s10 frame and the shoebox frame near where you will be making your cuts. Those make good reference points to get everything square.

29. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Did you trim down a stock '51 ring? Did you have to strip the chrome before welding? It's my understanding that the '49/'50 rings are what people typically use. I'm not sure what the difference is compared to a '51 however...

30. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

[QUOTE="beyond static, post: 10875752, member: 146806]Thanks. It's been a while, but I think there's a spot in front of the upper control arms that is flat enough to fit a small level. Hell, I may have just eyeballed it lol. There's a few holes on the s10 frame and the shoebox frame near where you will be making your cuts. Those make good reference points to get everything square.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the reply. Im probably just over thinking It, I tend to do that lol.