Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ventilation air intake for model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by altraditional, Feb 21, 2014.

1. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

I would like to get ideas how to manage fresh air intaking on a rod body that doesn't have a hole for it from the factory.
    I don't want to make usual vent hole in front of windshield, where it would rain in and will probably leak.
    I do want to get fresh air, not from under the hood, so not through firewall eighter.
    I have original gas tank cut out, so it has free space behind the dash. I allready have vent ports for windshield made.
    My only idea would be to plumb it out from the floor, in cab corner, outside the framerails. But then it will have road dust problems.

So, how have you made yours? Any pics?

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Doesn't your windshield open?

3. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

That is correct, my windshield doesn't open, it's not in separate frame. And probably I wouldn't want to open it in near freezing temperatures too.
    I am going to use a heater, and I like it to get outside air.

4. captmullette

captmullette

???????

5. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

While not on a model A, this is something I have been considering lately on a couple cars.

If you have the skills to duct it from a cab corner, you might consider putting a HEPA filter inline with the intake duct.

You can find the cartridges for vacuum's and such. Theyre usually fairly small also. Basicaly build it like a house's central heat/ac is designed with a filtered inlet.

Probably sounds kind of crazy, especially with new fangled terms like "HEPA', but it could be designed to blend with a heater box fairly well. And not take up much space.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

He wants an outside air source to the heater to aid in keeping the windows from fogging up in certain conditions. Like a modern car.
    It can make a huge difference...but don't forget to place exhaust ports somewhere at the rear to allow the air to flow thru and take the moisture with it!

Perhaps you could add a cowl vent like a 32 etc and box it inside to become your air intake. I think thats how I would approach it.

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Install tri-five Chevy vent windows. Open them up and get all the fresh air you need.

8. upspirate

upspirate

Maybe some kind of vent in the header under the visor with closeable vents on the inside overhead

9. upspirate

upspirate

Ventshades over the side windows with the glass rolled down slightly

10. That's the hot ticket !

Some had cowl vents on the sides, just above the toe boards

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I fabricated a scoop that screwed into the gas cap hole. Used it when needed and replaced the gas cap when not needed.

12. Tri five chevy trucks had kick panel vents and X2 on 26 Roadster. If you're going to use a heater, the fan can suck in the air. Drill out a gas cap and put a screen in it.