Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard Times, Tough Choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FenixSpeedShop, Feb 20, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Location isnt all that important... I am located in Boone, NC... Where is that? Nowhere... Theres nothing really here and i like it..

2. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Alright guys I hear all of you loud and clear. And I do agree with you, even those that think they are being rude, they are not.

Ok ... Business Mind I saw in there, yes MBA but never followed my career for various reasons.

Bare shop ... Yes those pics were taken before I opened the doors

Website ... Outdated for sure

Pics of work done ... Off topic hence not on the HAMB

Impala or show car ... No money to put into it

But I will share these pics of work in progress on it

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392968047.120900.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392968095.092392.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392968140.382279.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Oh and ... HotRodPrimer always has a thought on my threads/posts thanks! I respect your opinions sir.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Been in the same location over here in Frisco/Little Elm, Texas since 97...Building race cars, hot rods and muscle cars............Used to have plenty of race cars to build, but since 9/11 things have changed...cost of bring a car from Ohio, Missouri etc, has tripled, the economy has slowed a lot of the potential racers from building a new car. I have had to diversify...now I see more hot rods and muscle cars and have been busy as usual...but there are always lean times...This business is feast or famine unless you plan your jobs and bust your ass to get them in and out the door..........along with this I have had to downsize from 3 buildings to only half of one...It's tough but it's not that hard ...just eliminate the years of "treasures" and go on...keep the place fluid and don't tie up space...
    My shop stays full.........I have work scheduled thru May now and more coming ...
    I don't know what type of rep I have ...most think I am an asshole, and I say NO more than yes...but through out the years I have established a pretty good customer base and they keep coming back...........but it takes dedication to the work, honesty to the customer and don't be afraid to tell them the frickin truth...

I had a guy come in needing advise about an engine problem with a 66 Vette...the first thing he asked me was.."aren't you a little old to be still doing this type of work"...everyone else laughed their asses off at that one.........I just said that I was only 71 and this is what I did for a living............I then proceeded to ask some questions about his problem.........he was still wondering if I had any knowledge of working on these cars............I asked him if he knew what a Grand Sport Corvette was.............he stammered a bit and then told me no.........I almost just pulled the door down in his face...........but my NEW persona prevailed and we went on with the conversation..........I hope he gets the thing working ok...I don't want that customer's car in my shop..............

but...these days I am not hungry.............the situation may change ...lol I just had to roll my 49/50/51 ford out of the shop and into the trailer to make room for two race cars to be built...hated to do it, but the work comes first and MY car is last on my list for now...

Good luck with your shop and don't hesitate to look for other ways to make the floor space pay it's way.............quality work sells it's self.........

Mark

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. charlieb66

charlieb66

Nothing personal, but I will ask the unobvious question. Have you checked around on the comments your customer may be saying about your work to their friends? Are you clients referring others to you? Often I hear, not so good work and the price far exceed the estimate. I know that just because someone "wants" to be a car builder doesn't mean that he has the ability to be one.
    Hope you are able to pull through.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree with everything everyone has suggested so far. Since you asked, you evidently are open to criticism and suggestions, so here are mine. Sorry if they seem somewhat blunt:

1) When I look at your website it does not project the image of a shop I would take a car to. The shop is totally empty and shows the barest amount of tools and equipment most home shops have. If you look at other people's shop photos they have cars in various stages of completion so the shop looks successful and busy.

2) The wording in the website yells out " Rockabilly" to me. Nothing wrong with that, but as someone pointed out, that market is very narrow and populated by folks who do their own work and who generally do not have lots of bucks to spend on this stuff.

3) You need to tell people WHY they should trust their car to you. What are your qualifications and specialties ? What areas are you educated and certified in ?

4) Post pictures of cars YOU built for customers, not pictures from a random car show. I want to see what YOU can do.

5) Finish the Impala as your calling card. There is a local body guy here who gets tons of business because he has a bright yellow 57 Chevy that he takes to shows with signage that show he built it and can build a similar car for you.

There is nothing wrong with having a small shop to work out of and in fact it is smart to do it that way. The guy who does our upholstery work does it out of his home garage and he is booked out a year or more, simply because he has a niche and does a very good job. Look at Langy on here, he works out of a small shop and is booked up all the time. It is because his work is top notch and he knows how to run the business.

I would suggest you get a day job and work on one customer's car at a time in the evenings or on your days off. Then, as you start getting a reputation you can move more toward only working on other people's cars and less on your day job.

Above all else, charge enough money to make it worthwhile yet be reasonable, do exactly what you promise, and make your customers happy. Those things will get you good word of mouth advertising, which is the best kind.

Good luck.

Don

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I disagree.
    Location, location, location.
    Look at a 250 mile radius of both Boone, NC and Mission, TX.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Are you a customizer, or a business owner? That's the first question you have to ask yourself. And there IS a difference.

Second question is "How hard am I working to bring business in the door?" Advertising in print publications is easy, but it costs money. Call around and find out what ads cost in the local car-related pubs.

Are you a member of a car club? Not a local club, one of the state-sized clubs... Here it's the Georgia Street Rod Association. They have a bi-monthly publication you can advertise in, and a captive audience.

Fliers are expensive to print, but they work.

Do you have a Facebook page? If not, get one. They're free.
    Advertise on Craigslist. It's free.

What are you doing every Saturday? I can tell you what you NEED to be doing--Haul a project car to every car show and swap meet you can, set up a table, put out a stack of business cards and a photo album with pics of your work in it, and talk to people. That isn't free, but it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

When you're not in the shop making sparks, you need to be in the office making contacts and figuring out ways to get the people in your door.

You're a business owner first and foremost... you stopped being a customizer the minute you hung your shingle. A business owner makes widgets--and they figure out how to make the most they can, and get the best price for them they can. And THEN the build the widget.

-Brad

9. events? social media? buy selll flip used parts and projects? things like that...like brad is saying, get involved with local bike shop? pin stripers, host a hot rod/bike related open house at ur shop??

10. i didnt read whole thread, here are my thoughts...ads on craigslist? facebook page.....keeping people with ur shop....partner with a charity to help them out and also yourself through being benevolent, meet some good people that way too.....we all have been touched by tragedy, cancer, loss...or other causes you would like to help...homeless vets etc....get involved with a charity you are sensitive too.........you need to have ur shop out there on so many levels...word of mouth, social media, events etc, maybe a friend can help you on those things....pin up girl calendar, photoshoot? contest? i dont think that is worn out yet...hot chicks...hot rods

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Sounds like you have a good handle on overhead type stuff, which is excellent, and you're very open to advice and constructive criticism, which is also good. Shake things up, see what sticks, I think you'll be fine, you've already got a lot of solid advice in this thread to look at.

And I agree, don't rule out having a second job in addition to this one, full time or part time, until you are booked solid enough not to worry. I have a side gig painting new construction houses, it's not super fun, but it's some guaranteed money, and it really helped out in the early days.

12. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

Wicarnut hit it on the head. Being the owner of the business is not easy. But the rewards are so much more gratifying than busting it out for somebody else. Other people do think it is so easy, bah. Do you do only paint/body work? Or do you do mechanical work? I know it's not fun but used car lots need repairs ALWAYS. I am in my 10th year now. I did a '71 LT1 Corvette for a customer about 15 years ago (on the side while working a full time job at a dealership). Well, after about 2-3 years in business doing hot rods and customs and muscle cars I was in you shoes. This Corvette customer opens a used car lot and starts having me do all of his safety inspections and repairs (I do mechanical work only). Now I have a tech doing all the "regular work" which has grown into 5 used car lots and a shit load of general repair. I can now concentrate on the "FUN" stuff again. His labor generated pays all the bills and his salary/costs etc. It has generated a lot more paper work and "office " work, but the cash flow is much easier. I did not enjoy doing the regular stuff but it got me through the tough times and paid the bills.
    Hope that helps, Michael

13. flamed34

flamed34

My $0.02:
    I know others have mentioned the website. I'll admit, I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I'm redundant but get some build photos together and on the site: before, during, after.
    Give an explanation of services offered. Will you put in someone's floorpans? Patch panels? Chassis work? Wiring? Coordinate upholstery? There are a lot of people who can do various parts of the build but can't do it all so you might be able to fill the need of someone who wants to do their own body work but can't weld in a patch panel, etc.
    Others mentioned Craigslist. I put an ad in CL about 2 months ago in the barter section to barter some paint work for a few items I'm looking for. I haven't come across the trade I wanted, but I have at least 6 months worth of very good paying work lined up and I'm trying to figure out how to build a bigger shop and get some help. I haven't renewed the ad in a month and a half and still am getting emails, plus multiple jobs lined up from work I already did for guys. I really didn't intend to get this busy, but it's hard to turn away. The same ad generated several emails from small dealers that wanted a "paint guy" on a regular basis, but it's not my full time gig and I really don't like doing color match work.
    Finally, others mentioned diversifying. How about buying, painting, and flipping? Find those projects others abandoned when the finishing costs started adding up - even the late model stuff. There may not be huge profit, but perhaps enough to get you over the hump.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough to start if finances are tight, but I lost track of how many cars I bought to flip that turned into good jobs and friends. You have a tone that sounds worried that you're "the paint guy". Is that right? I'm 56 and still pushing sandpaper. Why? It pays to do so. A lot of shops don't paint so you need to do something stellar and take it to them with a "...hey keep me in mind if you get in a pinch...", but try not to have your 'hat in your hand' when you do. Confidence sells better than arrogance. Watch current tends and ask yourself what's hot right now. I can tell you it's not in these pages. Make up your mind if this site is for you or your customers. I can say with my right hand raised that none of my current customers and those booked for later even know about this site. That's not a bad thing so don't confuse the message. The HAMB is MINE, not my client's. Have I picked a job or 2 from here? Yes I have but I sure wouldn't bank on it. There's a reason that some of the bigger street rod organizations have allowed newer cars in. Read that twice if need be. Did you ever think you'd see the day where a fuckin Mustang would command 7 figures? How come one of those doesn't have a "Fenix" finish?

I'm not slamming you, not even trying to get all "R. Lee" on ya, but you're really good at 1 thing like all of us who are answering to that asshole over the top of the bathroom sink. That's what got us all started. How many cars make the LSR? How many are at an NSRA or Goodguys? Exponentially more. Work is work. Labor hrs are cash flow. They suck sometimes. What you "like" to do might not be what you "must" do. Go meet with your boss and ask him what's next. If I never pick up a spray gun again I'll die a happy man, but guess what? 3 jobs going that require just that. I have no ad budget, no employees, no shop expenses to really speak of, and on the surface that sounds like dream come true. It is for a customer when they hear my hourly rate. And that too is a cluster fuck to manage sometimes. I can't collect every hour and yet I sleep well. I don't charge for bad days and fuck ups, and trust me when I say nobody is immune to those. I'm not an MBA but my projections are usually dead on balls correct. Remove the dream figure or reduce it by 25% and your projections will be right every qtr, every year, then deal with that. If that 25% is still there at year's end that's a bonus. That's enough for now, and don't be offended. Just hoping to clear some of the fog you're driving through right now.

15. wsdad

wsdad

I don't know you and have never met you so if you're already doing some of this or disagree with some of it, please don't get upset at me. I only wish I "played" with hot rods all day. I'm only an appliance repairman, but we're both working on machines for customers, so maybe some of this free advice will be useful or universal. These principals (that I've learned from others) have propelled us from rags to, well, decent clothing.

1. Don't spend your money as quick as you make it. Save up an emergency fund. I know that may not help you today but it has saved our sorry a$$es more than once.

2. Look at your business through your customer's eyes, not your own. Imagine you are a customer and try to find your business - try to get in contact with yourself - or have a buddy do it without helping him/her. You'd be amazed at what makes people not call you. I know you can't do anything about the phone book listing now but you have other ways people find you. Website, Google, Car Shows, etc.

3. Do what your customers want, not what you want.

4. Don't try to impress your customers. Be impressed by them. Don't imagine that you're smarter or better or more stylish than them. Everyone has their own strengths and their own warts. Some are more hidden than others.

5. Genuinely love your customer. Sounds corny but if you can find something you really like about them, it permeates all your dealings. If you practice finding something to love about the person you're talking to, you'll get better at it, just like practicing beating dents out of a fender.

6. Just before you pick up the phone, smile. It will be seen through the phone on the other end.

7. Be honest. Even if it makes you look bad or loose money. Any money you may loose now will be earned back many, many times over in two or three years. Give the customer something extra. It doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming.

8. Be the best you can be at what you do. Practice. Educate yourself. Learn from those who have been successful.

9. Other businesses are a concentrated source of customers. Get work from other businesses. Every body shop has a car in "jail." Some have overflow. Insurance companies have a lot of work. Auto repair garages (mechanics) sometimes get old cars in. They don't want to go too far away from AutoZone to find parts because it takes time and is unusual for them. Meet with their owners and offer to take these. Some of them will be happy to make their customers happy by sending them to you rather than telling them, "Sorry, I can't help you." Other businesses (and clubs and forums) are a concentrated source of customers.

These 9 suggestions may sound oversimplified but it's human nature for us to be self-centered and egotistical. When's the last time you talked to someone who really liked you and thought you were smart / worth listening to?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014