Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 fordcoup engine trans diffy swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Fritz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Steve Fritz

Steve Fritz
    from wisconsin

I recently found a 40 Ford coup and bought it, no engine, transmission. So I am planning a 302 , C4 , and 8 inch rear end. Question is what about Chassis Engineering "bolt-on" kits vrs the various weld on kits from other manufacturers???? I will not be racing or going HIPO on the engine, it will be just a nice cruiser for local use.
    Any comments , good or bad , from guys who have used Chassis Engineering kits would be appreciated. Also, any tips on using small block Ford rather than small block chevy, would also help. I know chevy is cheaper , but I want to stay with Ford drive line.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Armstrong

Armstrong

I have used the Chassis Engineering bolt ons and would highly recommend them to a novice builder.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I also have used CE stuff and will buy more. Ford is harder to get in without firewall mods, but it seems more are doing it. Small block Chevy is a piece of cake.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

That sbc will go in like it was made for a Ford. Why cut up a fire will just to put in a Ford in a Ford

5. Steve Fritz

Steve Fritz
    from wisconsin

How much firewall modification will be needed??? What floor board mods around the C4 tunnel area will be needed?
    Steve

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Take a look at the Snow white set up for SBF that Speedway has in their catalog. Saves 2 inches and uses a water pump available from parts houses. Looked at the setup in their display at Goodguys TMS this weekend.

7. metalman

metalman

I have a 40 Deluxe in the shop right now that the owner built the chassis himself using all CE bolt on stuff. I admit, I was pretty impressed with how well it worked out. I was a dealer for them in the early 80's, they sold good parts then, I'd say it looks like they still do, quality looks good to me.

8. 8350

from norway

What exhaust manifoild/ headers are you using on Ford 289/302 in a 1940 Ford?

9. George G

George G

Chassis engineering all the way!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Another fan of the Chassis Engineering stuff, well thought out and works great.

11. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Chassis Engineering is one stop shopping for a 40 ford.

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Okiedokie has it right---I went to a Bitchin' firewall with my 302 install but we might have been able to avoid it. I have a 2 1/2" extension on the mechanical fan to get it to within 1" of the radiator. CE is GOOD stuff---we used the crossmember from them with real good results.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

My coupe is all bolt in, done in 70s I think. Probably Chassis Eng. Unsplit front wishbone, bolt in SBC mounts, dropped tie rod, parallel leafs out back. Rides down the road super, the Missus is very happy. And after all these years, still looks good underneath with no problems other than setting toe in with dropped tie rod is a pain.