Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. shadams

shadams

So got the seat yesterday. Beautiful day yesterday and today, about 75 right now, haha...

So last night I did a few odds and ends, nothin pic worthy, got the hood painted and got the hoor seal put on, reinstalled hood with new bumpers, needs lots of adjustment still. Got the cowl seal installed, got the glove box installed with latch, got an original (repro) ignition switch mounted. Going to use a old pushbutton start where the choke cable was. Got the pass inside door handle regulator installed so I can open the door from inside.

Welded up the hole behind the pillar, and then remounted the 54 tail lights correctly, looks much better, reminds me, I need to paint the back of the tank so it doesnt stand out so much, and blind people behind me at night...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blew everything out and wiped everything down, then installed the seat for pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its not 100% perfect, some of the lines are a bit off and a few crooked stitches, but hey, its better than I could do. I am happy with it...It is comfy, although a bit bouncy, but no worse than my 85 and I can deal with it.

Anyway, I feel like I made some good progress. I still need to finish closing up a hole in the pass door, then under the cab corner, then I can reinstall the door and running board. I still need to figure out how to seal up the steering column hole and remount the column, then run electrical....getting close...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Ironskillz

Ironskillz
    from Madison,AL

seat looks awesome man.

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man, I don't know jack about upholstery, but I think that looks amazing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. oldman2

oldman2

Seat looks really nice...Jim

5. shadams

shadams

Finally finished the plates. Took all of five minutes but I kept forgetting to get the paint I needed. They came out great. Going to take them in soon for a recheck.

Attached Files:

6. RamJet1

RamJet1

Looks fantastic, should be nothing for them to complain about now.

7. daddio211

daddio211

8. shadams

shadams

Finally got the pass door back on, still have some alignment issues to sort out at the bottom front and rear, the door sticks out all the way across the bottom for some reason about 1/8-1/4 inch, I think the hinge may be the problem.

[​IMG]

Got 1 quarter window in, not too big a deal but I cannot even grasp the concept of how to put the lock strip in, the tool does not make sense when I look at it...

[​IMG]

Got this kick ass old peep mirror, really cool and got it for next to nothing on ebay.

[​IMG]

Got the white letters flipped, front

[​IMG]

Rear

[​IMG]

and overall....getting close...

[​IMG]

Sorry got the crap pics, too dark in my garage....three of my for overhead lights have ballasts that crapped out, too lazy, besides I work mostly in the driveway...

I also painted the glovebox door to match the speaker grill, got my pushbutton switch installed and got a cool headlight switch from speedway. It has a 4 position pull switch off/park/low/high so I dont have to mount the floor stomp button for high beams, less clutter and wiring...

Going to work on getting the glass installed the next couple weeks, then start on wiring........getting close...

9. ...the way your corner glass fits/looks, I wouldn't worry bout the lock strip, couldn't get mine in on the rear window of my 47 AD; been drivin it for over 10 years, no problem.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. shadams

shadams

I considered that. It was a bitch to get in so I dont think it will just fall out...as far as I know those are original corner glasses so they fit just fine. I need to put a little weatherstrip cement/urethane to seal the joint either way...I am kicking myself though because I thought they were green tint since the edge of the glass is green. But another member sent me some green(aftermarket new) side glass and it is REALLY green so I am just going to have to run all clear glass, I am sick of dickin around...

11. daddio211

daddio211

hooray! ;)

12. shadams

shadams

Hahaa...yea....much better. I was looking at some diamondback smooth black walls, that would be ideal. These have all kinds of non-sense on them, fortunately you cant see it from more than a couple feet away...

The only other thing is the stance isnt exactly how I want it, but I dont have any bed wood in the back and I havent driven it more than a few miles so I am sure it will settle in a little more. I have plenty of room in the front to go a couple inches lower if need be...

13. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Going good still can't wait till its done,
    Yeah you can't trust anyone anymore, I do the same as you I tell everyone what's wrong and give all the info up front before they even come out to look I've even told younger kids looking for a project to buy to go find something diff that what I have isn't for him , I guess a man's word just isn't what it used to be there's a few good people left but not many, well at least your truck was worth building I wish I had one agen but I prefer a 3 window well keep up the good work , and a side note if the ar15 guy knew the gun was that bad he had some balls I don't hink I'd be trying to screw a guy I just sold a gun to he might come back to show me how it works after he gets it fixed

14. Looking really nice! I like those little peep mirrors - I'm thinking of going with those also.

15. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Oh yeah forgot to thank you for the idea of the old plates I saw yours and started looking I found one and bought it but it needs some work but I think it will look cool on my car you did good work on yours what type of paint did you use

16. shadams

shadams

Here you go....this color and also "black tie" and it matched perfect. I dont know how durable it is compared to the orig paint but who cares, its easy enough to touch up...

17. ...you can use your DA sander to sand off obtrusive lettering on your tires, just go lightly and it'll come out real nice, then use some tire cleaner or tire black to finish up.
    ...never posted a pic of my AD, it's built a lot like yours ...been drivin it 10+ years; you'll really like yours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. shadams

shadams

Nice...look how good that hood fits....something else I have to work on at some point. I am sure some of it is due to my guess at how high to mount the front core support.

Never thought of the DA idea, maybe i'll grab a junk tire and try it out...

19. ...if your core support is too high, remove those tube spacers fo something shorter...and shim as needed...
    my hood didn't fit worth a crap when I bolted the hood springs on; so I removed them and it fits like the photos above. I made a fold-down hood prop to hold the hood open....several friends have followed suit since; the hood springs tend to push the rear of the hood up which looks like crap.
    BTW, this truck started out as a 3/4 ton p.u., which I mounted on a 1/2 ton chassis,71 Malibu clip, 10 bolt rear, shortened the bed/running boards, etc.

20. shadams

shadams

Yea I can push it down and get it to look better, but when I let off it comes back up. I may do the same, they are noisy anyway. The back of the hood fits ok though, plus I put on the hood bumpers so it sits high in the front now...maybe I can trim them?

21. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

22. The black walls look soooo much better!

Getting excited for ya man!

23. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Thanks shadams ill go down and see what I can find mine needs to be striped and redone 100% so that should make life easyer

24. shadams

shadams

25. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Glad they help. I am writing up an s10 t5 swap with a Colorado rear and Master Power master cylinder in a nice 54 AD.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. This is a hell of a build thread! Just went through all 36 pages of it! Mine isn't nearly as bad as yours was (although my cab corners were a hell of a lot worse). Although, I haven't stripped paint to see whats underneath... Really great build and I cant wait to see you finish it up!!!

27. shadams

shadams

Not a whole lot done, keep trying to work on it but only get 2 hrs at a time and seems like I dont make any progress. Anyway, got the other 1/4 window in, cant get the center one in, I think the glass is too big. Going to try again later. Got the windshield in the rubvber and got the trim in, have the w/s resting against the truck but I really need another set of hands.

Decided against using the roll pan, found a rear bumper with brackets on CL going to get it tomorrow. Got the pass cab corner finish welded and got a coat of metal 2 metal on it, the body guy at work let me use some sort of flexible file and man does that make shaping the filler easy....still need one more coat and then file, then finish sand and I can call that done.

Reading up on electrical options, that is coming up...anyway, got some better outside pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. ...I fought my rear window install for over an hour, found out the new glass was cut to big, ended up using a good original. Do you have an original to compare yours to?

29. oldman2

oldman2

Excellent outside shots, looks great...Jim

30. shadams

shadams

Negative...wish I did....so lets say I did, is there a way to cut laminate safety glass or would I have to have a glass shop do it?

Thanks! Would be nice if it was all one color!