Register now to get rid of these ads!

When is an alternator correct for a custom ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lone Star Mopar, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my world the only cars that look bad with an alternator are those with flathead Ford power.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Yup. Like my race car I'm building...it'll get the early alternator, which goes well with the 427.

3. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Generators served there purpose for 60+ years. Just like points
    Run what you want. The power gen is pricey and really you don't have to look very close to tell it's not a real gen. Yes you can go to your local parts store and get an alt prolly some pos built in china with junk parts. Just saying. I grew up on generators and 6 volt systems and drove the shit out of them.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I prefer a generator for old time period correct hotrods...customs are a different story I'm old enough to remember the change over. The newfangled alternator was quite a challenge back then. What is considered basic knowledge today was all new and untested for a while. A mid 60s built custom or hot rod could have had an alternator.

I'm doing an early 60s street racer now and I shitcanned the working alternator and rebuilt a generator. I got an Atlas brand regulator with great period graphics to complete the look. It is what I wanted.

Contrary to popular belief, generators did not break down every other week. Too much fear mongering going on.:D

Run what you like. I don't think it really makes a difference for what you are doing. JMHO

5. Actually the hood closed is a late 20th century concept. Customs got points for everything including a well detailed engine compartment.

Alt, GMs had them in the early '60s. Run one of those and don't sweat it.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been thinking about going back to a generator on my 37 Chevy p/u that has a 235 made to look as close to a 216 as I possibly can but I think I am going to leave the alternator on,if it dies a trip to the parts store will fix the problem quickly and not have to wait to have the generator looked at. When I open the hood to show anyone I will just open the side where the alternator can not be seen.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes a nice period alternator actually looks better, and if the installation and future servicing becomes easier, well then it looks absolutely 'right'. I was talking to Mr Peabody and Sherman. They took a trip in their "Way Back Machine" to 1966. Some guy had a hopped up 57 with a 327 and an alternator, but they didn't take a picture dammit! The they went to some car show and lost count of how many cars had em. Imagine that...

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

NEVER, EVER, EVER! Period![/color][/color]

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hot rodding and car customizing was always about innovation. I have in my old magazine collection somewhere a hot rod magazine from maybe the very early 60's with a big heading on the cover that reads "How to swap out your generator for an alternator ! "

Now, after all that being said, I am seriously considering putting a generator on the 394 Olds in my rpu. The reason is, I want this one to look like a survivor that someone may have dragged out of a garage after 50 years, plus, I have the generator already and think it will fit the theme better. Since the car will have almost zero accessories to power, the Olds generator should be up to that task.

Don

10. ^^^^^^

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When is an alternator correct for a custom?

Right about....wait for it....NOW!

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Damn yall still here... I've decided to run an alternator powered generator, w internal external regulators, and cut my hood in half as to gain maximum show points. Thanks HAMB ! :rolleyes:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. navyboy

navyboy

Go with the alternator and save the frustration, if money isn't to tight follow hrp idea.