Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Banjo rear with torque arm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33WIRE, Feb 18, 2014.

1. 33WIRE

33WIRE

My version of a torque arm rear in my A. The arm takes engine and braking forces. The short link swings to compensate for the length differences in the arm and locating rods. The locaters on each side can be in the center line of the axle where you can't see them from the rear because all they do is keep the rear aligned. I use Ford rubber front a-arm bushings pressed into a sleeve on the locaters and the link. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. butch27

butch27

Looks awful complicated for what it does. Great job though.

3. Xman

Xman

Interesting idea, thanks for posting

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great engineering feat. I am sure it works but think it could be done easier.

5. ratman

ratman

Nice clean work. I like it.

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Almost same set up in NE Dirt modified. Just remember the front attachment point of the arm should have the same degree of rotation end as the track rods. So if you have a urethane bushing end in the arm and a mono ball bushing in the rod the two will not operate equally.

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

I like it, nice job. I have used the same setup on IMCA dirt modifieds.

8. jimvette59

jimvette59

I think it may work with parallel leaf springs but it will work the transverse spring in a improper movement meaning forward and backward. JMHO.

9. 33WIRE

33WIRE

The rear will swing in an arc controlled by the outer control links. With 3 1/2 inches of upward movement the change in position of the rear in relation to the spring is very slight. You have the same issue with the original torque tube. The drop link compensates for the the difference in arcs between the torque arm and the control links. Here are some pictures of the bushings i use; much more forgiving than urethanes. The steel bushing is cut from 1 1/4 schdule 80 pipe and bored to a press fit. Thanks..

Attached Files: