Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. nvrenuff

nvrenuff
    from new jersey

Also-had a 75 Monza with a forged 355. It still had the 2.9? Something rear gears and the yellow Porsche had no idea what happened. 50mph roll on made him look real bad and he wouldn't pull up next to me at the next light. Speedo only went to 85 i think it was,so who knows but it felt real sketchy. Wish I had GPS back then.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. xdirtracer

xdirtracer
    from missouri

79 camaro z-28 in 1982 128mph at least thats what the mo hwy patrol said when he was reading me the roit act i geuss he coudnt take a joke

3. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

155 in a four banger honda ......yeah I know not the coolest but it surprised me! And 140 on a bmw, wish my truck could get up there !

4. Back in 83 i had a go in my mates 354 Hemi powered T Bucket and got it to 150, it was about then I started thinking of all the things that could go wrong. Was cool to do it once. JW

5. cooger

cooger

11 in a 15 mile traffic jam on I-45.

6. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

my47buicksuper,

In all my years at Bonneville and other venues I have never seen a Viper in the 220 range. Timing slips or it didn't happen.

DW

7. ^^^^^^^^^^^^I think the Mayor of impound is the man to listen to.;)

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

I was waiting for someone to call bullshit on some of this....:rolleyes::D

9. Good call Tman. Dan Warners take on real speed is at the top of the list.

10. khead47

khead47

About 12 seconds. She was not happy!

11. Koz

Koz

156.04 @ 8.66. My old 120" digger, 301 Chevy, Hilborns, and a reworked banjo rear! Maple Grove. About a three minute reaction time!!!! I'd hate to see my time now. They could measure it with a sundial.

12. Hmmmm...

Let's see, I saw 6200 rpm once in a 455" FE '67 Cougar I used to own. With the 3.25 gears and H70 rear tires, that was over 150 mph. Just once... the first X made me sell that one... LOL.

Went 135 indicated on my XS11 motorcycle... woulda had more if I'd taken the windshield off, although the wind had it bent back at a 45 degree angle...

But maybe the fastest and by far the scariest was a ride I got from an acquaintance who owned a blown fuel drag boat. His 'check-out' pass was mind-blowing... and he either didn't notice or was too polite to say anything about my wet pants....

13. 7.70's @ low 170's mph, in a small block Chevy powered A/Dragster. Only problem was we were a tenth slow for the Index (7.60)at the time, and the record was in the low 7.20's @ high 180's mph! :(

14. bigmuff81

bigmuff81

136 in a early 90's turbo'd dodge daytona. It was all fun and games til the front end started to bounce. Bad choice of road i guess

15. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Let's see, it was early '50 and this young paratrooper came back to the farm on break. Four of us piled into his new '53 merc hardtop. Two brothers in back seat and him and his brother in front seat. He looked like a jarhead carved from granite. One beer (and that was tooo many) before leaving for town. Last thing I remember was looking over his shoulder and yelling SLOW DOWN...as we came into a sweeping curve with a culvert and telephone pole at the far end of the curve. I noticed the speedo was BURRIED on the right side. I think that that speedo was at i20 or more when we hit that culvert and made match sticks of that pole. Rolled forever into a corn stubble field.....and all four were somehow thrown out of that Merc..without getting killed ! Yup, speed kills, but the only thing that it killed that day...was a beautiful Merc. I saw pictures, after we got out of hospital, where its parts were loaded onto two trucks ! Hm, no seat belts back then..maybe that saved our butts ?

16. Valtin

Valtin

My 1969 super bee 145 mph and climbing when I let off of it. A friend asked how fast it would go. Hop in and we'll find out. Started under the bridge on the old rte. 83 extension in PA. Put it drive and nailed it. Smoked the tires hit second at 60 and the tires squealed again at 90 it went into drive, again you could feel the tires loosing it. The next exit had a truck exiting when we went by. I told my bud we hit 145 and it was still climbing although slow. He was ghost white with golf ball size eyes. When I think back about it there was probably another rider we couldn't see that kept the car together for us; stupid kids. Bald tire aren't slicks and ball joints aren't suppose to wobble and you only need brakes when you want to stop.
    Fastest on a bike was on a Honda Night Hawk 650 was about 115mph. That bike tossed me off at eighty in front of a Hospital. I landed in the medium strip. It was thawed mud. You really can recount your life in a split second. I cracked my right leg and ripped up my Akeley's tendon. Limped for three years and had very little sideway support many more years later. Emergency room doctor asked what murder cycle I was riding. Haven't been on one since.
    My friends had them also. Brother had a lady pull out in front of him sending the bike under the car and him over it. Best friend hit from behind coming turning into a filling station sending both him and the bike down the road a few hundred feet. School mate lost a testicle when bike fell over in gravel, cruising friend side swiped by a truck taking both his and his girl friends right legs. Another friends brother in-law lost his leg hit while stopped. My dad's mechanic hit head on by a truck crossing center line on a curve. Dead. All happened a few years apart. They are sure thrilling.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

120 appox in a friends Nova as a passenger.We missed the thruway exit and when he stepped on the brakes it did a 360.We didn't hit anything which is one of three of my life time close ones. I never rode shotgun with anyone ever again. Sorry cant prove it cause that idiot is dead.That I can prove!!

18. Fulvia

Fulvia

170 in a NASCAR. (I don't really like nascar) and 150 in a 07' honda goldwing.

19. RmK57

RmK57

About 140 in a buddy's L88 69 Camaro, a transplanted 427. 4-speed with 3.08 rear gears. There was a slight rise on the road which went into a dip maybe about 300 ft. When we hit that it bottomed out the suspension, scared the hell out of us. This was on a 40 mph secondary road. That was in about 1978, and I will never ever do anything like that again. I don't know how we ever survived the 70's to be honest.

20. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Somewhere well above 120 for a sustained amount of time in a 72 Chevelle SS454 which at the time a new LS7 454 short block topped off with squareport Merlin heads and a 1050 dominator, M21 muncie, 3.08 gears. Wasn't mine but afterthat ride I made a deal with myself to never ride with that guy again. My personal best was floated out my 69 Z/28's 302 in high gear freeway dueling a 429 Mustang on way to swap meet 25 years ago. Speedo wrapped around and realistically thinking about 120-130 something, felt like it was gonna float off the road. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Wonder how I kept from getting caught. Flux

21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

When I was a teenager my mom's grocery getting was a 1966 big block Charger. That danged car had a 150MPH speedo that would tease me every time I drove it. Well, one night heading east out of Albuquerque I opened it up. The old car hit 120 pretty danged quick and then kept climbing. I finally got the needle up to the 150MPH mark. Whew, what a ride. With that loosey-goosey Mopar suspension and bias ply tires it was a white knuckler, every time I hit a small bump it felt like the front end would never come down.

Another time I had that car up to 110 racing a Porsche down Montgomery Blvd in Albuquerque. There was another night I got it up to 120 running down Comanche in Albuquerque (that was 4 times the speed limit...LOL)

I've owned a 1981 Honda CB900C for years. I've had that bike up to 130. It was smooth as can be.

Bobby

22. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

The speedo in my T bucket was reading 130 and when I left off the gas it changed lanes rather quickly and scared the hell outta me. I assume frame flex (typical 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/8" wall T bucket frame) because ever since, I let off slow and it doesn't happen.

23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Not a record here, but about 112 in my friends 68 black Polara in high school. Down a long road leading to a marina...with ditches on both sides. Later he took me for a 360 plus spin around a corner in 70 GTO convert in the rain. Couple of "close to that speed " was in a friends brothers brand new SS 396 on US 1 and a 56 hemi Chrysler a high school buddy had.

24. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

149 in a 55. I will give no details. I don't drive fast anymore.

25. clem

clem

103 in a toyota starlet!

26. I done so many many stupid things over the years at speed, driving old unmaintained high powered (for the chassis) at over 120mph.
    The speedo jumps around so much over 100 on older cars I will never even know the true speed.
    Our rural roads I grew up driving on in North Australia I had so many near death moments like hitting our favourite marsupial, the kangaroo that loves to jump into the path of cars.
    Unfortunately quite a few have found their demise under my cars.
    They act a lot like deer and if one finds itself inside your car through a broken windshield you won't be coming out alive.
    It's not a country to do high speeds if you want to live.
    Was still doing stupid things into my late 30s. The day I asked my "other half" to marry me, I had her on the back of my CBR 600F4i doing 200 KPH just out of Melb in the ranges, that was only 10 years ago.
    Unfortunately for her she said yes.
    Having kids has really slowed me down finally.

27. 130 and some change in a 71 Javelin SST. The most scared I've been was 98mph in a Suzuki Sidekick in outer Atlanta traffic!

28. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

196 on my hayabusa. Been low eights on that as well on the back tire...turbos are a hell of a ride. Fastest in a car is 140-145 in my 69 amx.

29. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

A little OT but we raced the first Go kart endurance race at Nelson Ledges Road course in 1966 or 7 and I turned the 1.1 mile course in 52 seconds with a 6 ci McCulloch on alky. Pretty fast Do the math

30. Well I may have mentioned this before and I am certainly not bragging about it at all but I have got 'er done in as few as 3 strokes before. That's about as fast as it gets. ;)

deto and 57 Fargo like this.