Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hydramatic tranny's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ChevyFreak, Jan 21, 2005.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Beaner,is it true that some of the B&M units had no reverse gear?That would be a huge bummer for me.:(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I have not run into one, maybe someone ordered one that way to save weight. Someone else may be better qualified to answer that.

If yours turns out to be that way you just need to teach your lady to push. :D

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!
    The reason I ask is that I know some of the ClutchFlites were built like that.What a huge pain in the ass.
    Now on a scale of 1-10,how violent should I expect this trans to be in a 2700lb model A with a Blown 700hp Hemi motor and some sticky tires...?I hear they are pretty brutal when they shift,but haven't driven one yet.Im dying to get this thing together and beat on it!:)

4. That's a good thought! It hadn't occurred to me to look up the patent info and add it to the group.

Yeah, the flat tow piece was an optional extra. I haven't seen too many with them. Do you see a part number on it?

And that's about what I've always heard. Racers couldn't shift fast enough so they started off in second, let the transmission automatically do the 1-2 shift, then manually shifted into 3rd and 4th.

To a certain degree, that will depend on how the Throttle Pressure Linkage is set up. A blown comp transmission should shift a little harder anyways due to internal springs and other pieces, but with the Pressure Linkage set up right, you should be able to get it to shift without banging too hard.

B&M instructions to help you out: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dgwhefnftval5om/htamP8DsN3

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks guys!

6. Well Scott, what's the outcome?

Posted via telegraph.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey!
    I got kinda tangled up with some family stuff,and never got time to get back there with the transmission before I had to hop a plane to go back north for work.
    So in two more weeks I will bring it to them and keep you posted.Apparently this old dude they have at the other shop used to be involved with funny cars or something,so he must not be your average "400hp is plenty for the street" kind of guy....which makes me very happy...:)

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Not only the CID error, but I just noticed the photo of the engine/trans was printed backwards, as the Hydro side cover is actually on the left/drivers side, and not the right/passenger side as in the photo. Or maybe it's an Australian Hydro, meant for use in a right hand drive vehicle (?). Long live the dead Hydro. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Crazy! I never noticed that.

10. magooz

magooz

Anyone out there know what this B&M Hydro Sticker Serial number might relate to? I mean what type of B&M Hydro Slant Pan Hydro it may be. We got this unit, but it had no info. We don't know if it's a street, race, or full race blown unit. You older guys like me might know something... Had the sticker reproduced, but it's the same number.
    Magooz..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mine has a 'BC' serial number,which I was told stands for 'Blown Competition',so I'm guessing the your 'UC' would stand for Unblown Competition..?

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

12. magooz

magooz

Thanks Scott,
    That makes perfect sense.. Magooz

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,I just read my post,and if it came off like I was being a smartass,that was definitely not the intent.

That Hydro should a great,bulletproof transmission.If you have a source for parts or rebuild/setup tips please let us know.
    Thanks,

Scott

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

And if ya got a NW guy that knows the guts of a full race hydro, i have one that will need a tuneup in the future

15. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

Photo won't repost for some reason, but I think it's the side of the slant pan you're looking at.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  16. magooz

magooz

Scott,
    Never took it in that way. I just appricated the input. Thanks Magooz Seattle, Wa.

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

18. magooz

magooz

Dave, looks like he may be out of business No web site currently available. Anybody out there know if on a UC (Unblown Comp) B&M Hyrdro you need the pressure arm function or are they manual?

19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

He has a Website ,his name is Gene , specializes in Hotrod Trannies
    >>>> phone 831-320-2726
    http://www.restorationhydramatics.com/
    sorry for not including that last time

20. magooz

magooz

Got it,
    We E-mailed him with our questions.

21. hansolo

hansolo
    from Martinez

I have a slant pan and a regular pan unit both have the chevy bell housings on them they have been sitting for decades indoors and I'm ready to sell them .