Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to cast wide five disc brake front hubs for early spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Jan 28, 2014.

1. 55willys

55willys

I am already working on a wide five adapter cover that looks like an early hub. You can find the thread here on the forum. While I was working on the casting pattern this weekend and doing research for a friends Power Wagon-M37 disc brake conversion I found the rotor I need to make the wide five disc hub work.

Since I am already making a pattern for the adapter covers I decided to make a convertible pattern that can change from front or rear adapter covers to full front hubs with bosses cast in for bolting the disc brake rotor to. I was going to try and use existing caliper brackets but found that I had to move the caliper inboard about an inch to clear the wide five hub. So I will need to cast caliper brackets also.

I was wondering if any body would be interested in these hubs? They will look stock from the outside of the wheel but have the advantage of modern brakes and bolt directly to 37-48 Ford spindles. Thanks for the feedback Jim Ford (55willys):D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. 55willys

55willys

I guess this thread got buried so here is a bttt

3. we need some pictures
    even of they are just solidworks screen shots
    tk

4. A definite maybe. I 2nd needing pictures.

5. 55willys

55willys

I will post pics Saturday. Jim

cvstl likes this.
  6. Sounds like a neat idea. Agree some pics would help to generate buzz and understanding how it will look.

7. 55willys

55willys

Here are some pics of a wide five hub with a disc brake rotor attached and some with the caliper. This is in the design stages so dis regard the rusty parts. I plan on being able to run stock wheels with no interference with the caliper. I am going to make an adapter plate to attach the rotor to the existing two piece wide five hub first. Later I will cast a complete wide five hub that the rotor will bolt directly to as I know there is a limited supply of two piece hubs. Sorry about not posting pics sooner, my computer locked up. Jim

Attached Files:

D-Russ likes this.
  8. Leaves a little bit to be desired on an asthetic level. :cool:

9. He did say it's in the design stage,all in all it's pretty impressive. HRP

10. How much does this increase the track width?

11. 55willys

55willys

It doesn't increase the track at all as it uses a stock wide five hub. Jim

12. Beau

Beau

Not gonna be a market here for these, but the Wide 5 looks good.

Look into making the wire wheel hubs for Model T's. They are hard to find and REALLY expensive new.

13. anteek49

anteek49

Interested IF affordable..............love wide 5's

14. 55willys

55willys

Like HRP said it is just a mock up. here are some pics from another angle. Jim

Attached Files:

D-Russ likes this.
  15. I like it. Yes from the inside you can see the rotor and caliper, but from the outside, nothing to indicate it has disc brakes.

16. 55willys

55willys

That is the whole idea behind it:D Jim

17. Terranova

Terranova

I'm in if they're affordable.starting on the family cruiser '36 Fordor once it thaws.

18. what is keeping the wide five adapter hubcentric
    i see the bolt patern where it is assembled from the back, but what keeps everything in line
    maybe an exploded view
    thanks
    tk

19. I do't see a problem asthetically, you normally see wide 5s on a fender car so when installed all you are going to see is a wide five setup on a car. Should look pretty close to original until you get under the car.

I don't see a real need for disc brakes if the drumbs are working properly but it is a good idea and I would not hesitate to use the setup on anything that I would build.

20. My reply is a question, overall. I know very little about old brakes.

We're talking wide fives, so first you'd have to find a good pair of wide five front drums. The pair of drums I have are out of spec and mechanical. Then you need a hydraulic "JUICE" brake setup. That'll get you non-Bendix style brakes. How do those and this setup with disc brakes compare? The type of driving is a factor (traffic, speed, country road vs packed interstate).

21. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

22. RichG

RichG

I'm interested enough to ask how much you think these will cost...

23. Rolf

Rolf

Love to keep my wide five wheels. I have not studied how the wide five drum come apart. Do I remove my drum/keep my hub? You supply caliper bracket? Looks like GM calipers? Or do you want to sell a complete kit? Price?

24. 55willys

55willys

This is just a mock up, it will be hub centric with the adapter the same way the original drum is. I am going to make an adapter to use with original hubs and then later I plan on a complete aluminum hub that looks original. Jim

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

If you do indeed produce an item like this how would you go about safety certifications and other liability issues with something as safety critical as brake components? Not trying to be discouraging or critical just wondering about the process.

26. 55willys

55willys

You will have close to $400-500 in a set of original wide fives with 40-48 non-servo brakes and $450 more for the repop 39 Lincoln brakes. Rotors are less than $50 each, calipers $35, and I still have not worked up a price on the adapters or caliper brackets. But I don't see them costing as much as the drum brake way. I will work on price quotes from the foundry and machine shop. I hope to be in line with the cost of most other disc brake kits. Jim

27. 55willys

55willys

Yes, you need to separate the hub and drum from the 2 piece type. I sell you an adapter, caliper bracket and mounting hardware. You buy rotors and calipers with pads, or I can sell a whole kit. Later I want to cast aluminum hubs that will accept the rotor directly and not use an adapter so you don't need to find hubs. Jim

28. 55willys

55willys

I am using already tested stuff other than adapter and caliper bracket that I will have an engineer look at to verify strength of design. Jim

29. Rolf

Rolf

Got it, let us know price when you are ready.