Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TP, Feb 15, 2014.

1. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have the oppertunity to buy a 54000 miile 292 out of a very nice 64 pickup. It is a good running 2 barrell motor with a 3 spd transmission.I am thinking that I want to run the 3 spd with a floor shifter. Are they available? Can I change the bell housing as some has said and run a 4 spd? or is there an option for a c-4 tranny[bad knees]? What's my options? I haven't had a y-block since sophmore year of highschool in a 58 ford and it ate transmissions[3 spds]. Thanks TP

2. luke13

luke13

try a 65 mustang 3 speed toploader, they bolt right up and hve better ratios and syncro 1st.

3. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

Flat-O makes a C4 conversion

4. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Luke13-Thanks for the information.
    wldtrout- is flat-o the name of a company?
    Thanks guys I'll start looking.

5. I know what you mean about those transmissions. I had a 56 Ford Vic in High School. I used up 9 of those transmissions.

6. Ole don

Ole don

There is an adapter to put a late model four speed or a five speed on a pickup or passenger bell housing, and a fellow who advertises in the Y Block Magazine who puts an AOD on a Y block.

7. Early T-10 or Top loader four speed will bolt up. Charlie Burns ran a T-10 out of a Galaxie in the "Yellow Brick" for a while but the jump between third and fourth was too big, the Top loader got him the E/PP record.

8. khead47

khead47

ffr1222k- you beat me! I went through 6 3 spds in my 56 wwhen I was a kid. And Flat o Refers to Flat-O-Matic Co.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ford used 2 different 3 speeds behind y blocks.in these years one with a side plate and one with a top plate The top loader was stronger.

10. Cooon

Cooon

I found this on a website recently, not sure with whats involved.

"Slight modification of a 3-speed column shift bellhousing allows for the use of a much more modern Tremec T-5 overdrive 5-speed with the stock clutch assembly"

Would be awesome to keep the column change and have a 5 speed on the column.

11. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've got a '62-65 Borg-Warner Ford T10 4-speed which needs a good home. PM me if you'd like to go that way.

jack vines

12. zoegrant

zoegrant
    from CT

A T85 3 speed is a tuff heavy duty tranny and they also come with a heavy duty R11 overdrive if desired.....J

13. Wilcap has a few Y block adapters and Bendtsen offers a Y to AOD adapter kit.

14. finn

finn

The 64 3 speed should be the same basic fully synchronized toploader (3.03)transmission as the Mustang, as far as I remember. The trans came out in 63 in the pass car, and was used in many GM performance cars as the base transmission in the mid-late 60's (GTO, etc).
    It is a totally different trans from the old non synchro first gear trans used in the 50's and early 60's, and shares the basic architecture similar to the top loader 4 speed.

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Be honist with your self,a teenager will kill any tranny :eek:,no matter what it was. Old Ford 3 speed was fairly good old gal,but in a full size car,dumping the clutch on it was a lot of load,yet in a cut down hotrod it could smoke hell out of the tire very well.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wilcap has an adapter to put any GM automatic on it.

17. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

How much are the Wilcap adapters for GM tranny?

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Both my 56 sedan an 60 f100 have factory fordo's and work great. In my hot rod I will be running a stout 292/T-10