Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Bel Air Post car - in progress.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big_dan, Jan 30, 2014.

1. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

So finally decided to start my 57 Bel Air post project. Have had it a while in "storage" and decided the time is now . . . So we'll get the floor pans and rust repair done first, then go from there. Plans are for a stock body sitting a little lower, steel wheels (think WV 17" smoothies possibly), 4 speed and - if I can find a reasonable price - a 348 or 409. Garage is a little crowded for a sec; 57 is sharing space with my 65 Falcon 351C/toploader build. Here we go.

Attached Files:

• 100.JPG
      100.JPG
      File size:
      166.6 KB
      Views:
    • 101.JPG
      101.JPG
      File size:
      223 KB
      Views:
    • 103.JPG
      103.JPG
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    • 104.JPG
      104.JPG
      File size:
      172.1 KB
      Views:
  2. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

And more to follow. Started slowly jacking the car up to separate the body and frame; quite the undertaking. My Dad is recently retired so he is providing that extra set of hands we need all to often - he should have retired years ago - this is going well. Got the door openings braced well (1x2 11ga tubing) as the door gaps were perfect pre-floor pans and I want to keep it that way . . . . Once the chassis was out, decided to support the body with a beam at the rear shock mounting points and used 2x2x1/4" tube to span the front end from mount to mount. Have new toeboards as well as a new pan, so it'll be a completely different car when this part gets finished. Right now no measurements from pre-chassis removal have changed, so hopefully we have it braced enough.

Dan

Attached Files:

• 105.JPG
      105.JPG
      File size:
      175.1 KB
      Views:
    • 106.JPG
      106.JPG
      File size:
      159.7 KB
      Views:
    • 107.JPG
      107.JPG
      File size:
      195.9 KB
      Views:
    • 108.JPG
      108.JPG
      File size:
      168.3 KB
      Views:
  3. mechanic58

mechanic58

Nothing like multiple projects going on at the same time - at home. lol

4. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Lookin good BD. Keep the pics coming

5. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Spent a few hours with my favorite instrument of self abuse - the wire wheel - trying to get the large portions of grime and gunk off before blasting. But, forward progress. Lots of fun here.

Dan

Attached Files:

• 109.JPG
      109.JPG
      File size:
      198.9 KB
      Views:
  6. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Keeping moving forward. Wanted to make sure nothing had moved during the body removal so pulled my tape and checked / re-checked all my initial measurements - all good. Plan is toe boards first, so I needed to get the firewall and car in general a little more stable. Dug throught the scrap pile and whipped up a "saw elephant" (too big to be a saw horse, Dad:D said my 11 year old), set the car down and checked measurements again. Still beautiful. Added one horizontal brace across the front and that should be it; should be able to start the toeboards in the next few days as work permits.

Dan

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      144.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      174.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      164.5 KB
      Views:
  7. biscaynes

biscaynes

sweet, another tri five coming back to life! :cool:

8. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Started trimming the cancer out this morning - just glad the outer rockers are intact. So far so good - i.e. no surprises yet!

Dan

Attached Files:

9. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Nice project Dan I'm on board. Just went through this on my 55. I kept my outer rockers on till I got things fitted also. Once everything is cut out its easy to loose your reference points. I also bolted the new pan to the frame with new rubber mounts and raised it into position. Ron

[​IMG]

10. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Ron -

Looking good. Should be at that point soon. My little post car has some more weight to shed first though.

Dan

11. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Floor pan is removed.

As usual with this kind of thing I found a few more issues once surgery was complete. I'll need to address some lower quarter rot between the wheel well and the rockers, and I'll probably go ahead and replace the outer rockers as well. Now I'm REALLY glad I spent the extra time to brace the door openings just in case.

I decided to cheat a little on this project and try the pre-fabbed panels when I could instead of just making everything myself, but the inner quarter in front of the wheel well will have to be a "DIY" piece. Simple piece, too. Just a flange at the bottom and a few bead rolled details and done.

Attached Files:

12. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Started the minor patches while waiting on a few pieces. Lower inner drivers quarter was pretty simple so I let my boys work it under my supervision (they're 5 and 11). Started toeboards also. Have plans with the wife this afternoon so that's all for today, folks.

Dan

Attached Files:

13. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Nice quiet Sunday morning so a little progress. Finished replacing the toeboards and sprayed a quick coats of "rusty metal" Rustoleum on the patches for now.

Side note - I applaud Chevrolets decision to use firewall insulation as flammable as anything I've ever seen - Wow! One spark and poof - the whole mess was ready to go up in flames.

Sorry for the crap pics but its the best I got today.

Dan

Attached Files:

14. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Final pieces of the rust repair puzzle showed up - all from Danchuk - parts are excellent. Hope to make a little more headway tomorrow weather permitting.

Dan

Attached Files:

15. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Well, slow progress the last few days. East TN doesn't like snow. Rolled the frame out a few days ago to get it cleaned up and the one piece pan mounted, and then this. . . . . .

Time to bite the bullet and build that 36X60 I've been threatening to build the last few years I guess.

Dan

Attached Files:

16. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I know what your saying, this winter just won't give up. I'm tired of keeping the driveway shoved. I've been working on the interior windlace, headliner, carpet.
    Keep up the good work springs on its way. Ron

17. Looks good,I'm a big fan of the post cars. HRP

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Working on one myself. Will be watching your progress.

19. jammer

jammer

I'll be watching this one closely ! subscribed !

20. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Back to it. Spent the last week cleaning up the frame. Goal right now is to get the bodywork done, so the suspension will have to wait. Chopped out the old c-channel trans cross member for now; I'll add one when I get my engine/trans ready to install.

Dan

Attached Files:

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome! Looks like you know what and how to do. I will follow your progress, love 57's, my first car, 210 2door, 50 years ago. John

22. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Finished the frame work for now; like I posted earlier I'll worry about the suspension when the body is complete again. Frame is cleaned, primed and painted.

One piece pan fits great so far, so next I need to do a little fab work for my cherry picker to help control the rear of the car a little better when it comes time to slide the frame back under.

Still moving along . . . . .

Dan

Attached Files:

23. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Got a few hours work in this morning so figured the lower quarter patches wouldn't take too long. In reality they aren't horrible but need to be replaced; especially if I'm this deep anyway :D. Patch panels are close but a few contours are off a little but nothing that can't be dealt with. Getting closer every day to rolling that pan under . . . .

Dan

Attached Files:

24. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Lower passenger quarter patch is complete, so I kept plugging along and stripped the pass. quarter. Found one small area of rust at the lower rear, but not bad.

Attached Files:

25. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Finished the right quarter and only found the one other little area of rust, so I was fairly happy about that. Moved on to the left quarter and patched the front lower portion, stripped the entire side and didn't find anymore rot. Now on to the inner front left quarter - then the splash pan - then time to roll the floor on in. Can't wait. So far so good.

Dan

And - if there's anyone out there with a good solid set of 57 fenders close to east TN - I'd be interested for sure.

Attached Files:

26. demonspeed

demonspeed

Hey who did you buy your one-piece floorpan from? My buddy is looking at the Danchuk piece but also said he found some cheaper ones he might be interested in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Got my floor pan and toe boards from Ashley Motor Works in Jamestown, TN. They carry mostly Danchuk parts from what I've seen but a quick run up there and I don't have to pay the shipping. . . . .

Dan

28. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

You might check these guys out. Good people to work with stock most everything you need. Ron
    http://www.chevroletrestorationworld.com

29. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

I'll check them out as well. I've made multiple orders from Danchuk and was amazed that - wait for it - A PERSON - AN ACTUAL PERSON - ANSWERED THE PHONE! On top of that, the first 2 orders I made they quoted a price for shipping then ended up correcting the quote to a lower price in my favor. Just glad to see there are still a few good companies with good people out there.

Dan

30. BD, keep up the good work and the photos coming....