Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Been working on the front cover for Beth's blower, since I didn't have a 3 inch thick plate to work with I used three 1 inch plates to build it useing my poor mans machine shop, After I get all the inside clearances for the gears done I'll weld the plates altogether,, The cold weather is dipping into the parts funds trying to stay warm out here ,heat wave today 20 degrees:eek: BTW Randy hope this pic of the gears works on changeing the rotation,,,,,,Tim Jones

Attached Files:

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Hi Tim:) As intake gasket, we have been using copper with a little silicon gasket on each side. Worked great @15psi of intake pressure:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looks good Tim you won't have to change the gears it's correct as is the drive side is always on the left and as its rotated clockwise it will draw the air/fuel around the outside of the case also if you look at the bottom of the end plates you will see the drain holes that need plugged don't forget to plug both end plates then relocate the drains from the end covers I would recommend to not drain from the bottom of the cover but no higher than one third the way up so there is some oil kept in the covers for start up any other questions just give me a call

Chrome don't get ya home

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the info Kjell

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Randy, good talking to you again, Tim Jones

6. Wow and I thought I was a glutton for punishment, it just goes to show ya there is always more than one way to skin a cat.................

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the rear plate done and the front pieces welded together,, just need to finish clearanceing the inside areas,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the pieces for Beth's 4-53 blower all fitted on the blower ,still need to run the oil lines, plus Beth wants to do some polishing:D,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking good Tim out of curiosity why a burst panel instead of a backfire valve

Chrome don't get ya home

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well Randy two reasons, first I had an extra:D, Second we had them on the fuel cars and if you had a small backfire:confused: you always knew by the split panel , on the old pop off valve you might miss it and miss some hidden damage:(,, Tim Jones

12. same reason I went that way Tim......

13. willo_96

willo_96

There maybe different types I'm not sure, but don't the burst panels blow out at something like 80 psi?

14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Right on Tim I've ran many a blower on many cars and never had an issue but I see your point

Chrome don't get ya home

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah I probally won't ever have a problem, But if I learned anything on the fuel cars, It was small things turn into big problems real quick:D, Just being careful:) Tim Jones

Attached Files:

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I really don't know, I'll have to check,, Tim Jones

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Guy flaked out on restraint, Im not in big hurry to sell, call if or when ready

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bruce, I'll give you a call ,By the way? do you know how much pressure a burst panel splits at?, Guy aboves comment got me wondering, looked on the net didn't find any info, Tim Jones

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

20. willo_96

willo_96

The reason I ask is because I have a mate with a top alcohol funny car, at one stage he had a fuel pump problem resulting in a lean backfire and as well as bursting the plate he also blew the bottom out of the magnesium manifold. He really didn't know how much pressure they could take but assumed a fair bit. 200 - 250# is that psi? Now I know that's not a big blower and I'm not knocking your work but that's a lot of pressure to put in anything.

21. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Maybe a stupid question, but if the Burstpanel go off at 200psi, what will happen with the flathead if it makes a 100 psi bang? I would assume that something will happen inside? My pop-off opens at 30-40psi or something.

K

Taildragger&fenderless

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

No problem on the question, Glad you asked ,never thought the psi would be that much, got me wondering now if I should switch it to a pop off valve on this manifold, maybe Bruce or somone else will gimme there thoughts, this setup will be very low boost,, Tim Jones

23. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I would think at the very least it would push out some gaskets,,,, Any comments? Tim Jones

24. willo_96

willo_96

I would be leaning towards the pop off valve type, I don't think even in a back fire scenario you would make that much psi?

25. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

When you think about it each cylinder makes a lot more than 100 psi during combustion, so inside the engine it shouldn't hurt anything (unless your running nitro, then all bets are off). It could possibly find a weak section of an intake manifold, or blower case before the burst panels lets go.

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Making mountains out of mole hills and overthinking your setup, you will never get a pressure spike big enough on alc and low boost to even activate a pop-off unless the springs are really really weak, If the P-O uses a O-ring to seal chances of it comming loose and hanging it open are common and gasket type need a lot of spring pressure to keep sealed. Blowing the disc kills the run and MAKES you find and fix the problem that caused it -- haveing the P-O re-sealing gives you more chances to destroy parts on the run. get your car done and stop worrying about crap like this. JEEZ

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

What do you expect from an old nitro wrench that lives in the middle of nowhere and talks to his dogs all day:D:D Your right,, on to the next project at hand:confused: Gettin the car DONE!! Tim Jones

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well winter returned again, but we got the shop cleaned up yesterday and Beth had to test fit her blower intake on the motor, I'll tig up the new rear motor mounts this weekend, hopefully this weather doesn't stay long, Also here's a short OT video of why I like dogpower as much as horsepower,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmk44igcBn0 ,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Warmed up enough to get out in the shop to do some work , test fitted the saddle type mid mounts ,now just need to get the good clamps to go around the frame and mount, also finished removeing all the old steering mounts, so I can make the new box mount,,, Tim Jones,, BTW Beth took a couple of the dogs for a run the other day:D

Attached Files: