Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drunk driver ends up in my wrecking yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 18, 2014.

1. big M

big M

Now that everything has been settled with this incident, figured I'd put a post here.

On December 19th, early evening, I had gone in early due to the strong, cold north wind blowing, when my dogs started barking like crazy. I went outside to see fire trucks and emergency vehicles driving through my neighbor's field. I'm not one to get in the way, so I waited until morning to see what had happened.

Highway Patrol had left a message at my office saying I had property damage from an accident, so I looked it over then. Apparently, according to the police report, a young lady in a rental car had chugged a half pint of vodka, and gone off the freeway at high speed, and catapulted the Chevy Sonic through my fence, and onto the back of a Galaxie fastback.

I found personal effects and chunks of plastic from the rental car strewn 8 car length's away from where it had landed. Gotta be one of the first times a car in a wrecking yard was involved in an accident!

Luckily for me, her insurance paid for damage to the '55 Oldsmobile, and the Galaxie, as well as repairing the fence. Earlier in the day I had been right next to where this happened, pulling a rear bumper from an Edsel, could have been killed if it had happened a couple hours earlier.

---John

Attached Files:

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Wow John, that could have been serious, glad you were not hurt! Looks like you have a great yard, I wish you were closer!

3. Apparently her application and drivers test for Joey Chittwood Thrill Show left a little to be desired.

Thank goodness you, or anyone else for that matter were not in the vicinity when the wreck occurred. HRP

4. Squablow

Squablow

Crazy! Nice that insurance realizes that the damaged vehicles had value to them as well. Glad you weren't hurt!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

HOLY SMOKES!!! I'd say you're right...I've never heard of that before! Glad everyone is OK and like roadster1927 said....looks like you have a great yard!!

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Thats pretty funny, but i can beat it. Unfortunately i dont have pics, some years ago we had a light plane crash into a wreaking yard here. We are next to an airport though so its not that odd i guess.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

8. MRTS33

MRTS33

Several years ago a drunk ran into a farmers barn near where I live. The barn was about 10' off the road. Well they went to tow it out of there and it pissed off the farmer off big time. He told them to leave it there. After the guy sobered up a few days later the owner of the car wanted to get it out of there. The farmer again told him flat out NO! That car stayed there till the farmer passed away and the tore the barn down. :D This thread made me think of that old 62-63 Cadillac. Thanks for the chuckle.:)

9. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

At least she didn't say it was the galaxie's fault

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I would hope so..I know in my younger days I was guilt of consuming alcohol and driving,fortunately my guardian angel kept me safe and I was never involved in a accident when I was impaired therefore I never hurt anyone.

I have had friends that were not as lucky as I was and I am pleased to say that a very good friend of mine was able to walk away from a accident that would have killed a sober person,,he made restitution,paid his debt to society and is living a life of sobriety today..I wish the same for they girl... a second chance.HRP

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

shows that you never know when wired stuff will happen. lucky that she crashed into empty vehicles. helps show how drinking and driving is a stupid thing to do.

12. mj40's

mj40's

Whew! I thought you were going to say you found a body in one of your cars. :eek:

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Your lucky she had insurance. She's lucky she's alive..

14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

There's a metal recycling yard, off of Highway 75 in north Tulsa, that has a crotch rocket punch throught the metal fencing about once a year or so it seems. It's on a left hand sweeper that can be deceptive at high speed, I guess. There were two incidents where the bikes hit within about twenty feet of each other, albiet a few months apart.

Glad you were not present for her drop in visit.

15. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Guess the insurance did not have to pay for a tow to the wrecking yard

16. jesse1980

jesse1980

Good thing you were not hurt.

17. did you get to keep her car?

18. big M

big M

The tow company hauled the car to impound, but the windshield, grill, front license plate and a few broken pieces are all that remain. The driver was care-flighted to a hospital, no doubt regretting her choices she made that night.

---John

19. big M

big M

Funny story- I can see it, as I have some friends that work hard to make a living farming, and would probably do the same thing if their property was damaged.

20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The last 3 drunks who ran into my property only hit the front yard and mailboxes. The last one took out 2 mailboxes, went thru 130 ft of my front yard, then flipped into the
    next door neighbors tree- left a scar 8 feet up. He landed the car upside down on the
    sidewalk. Drunk, suspended license, driving his Dad's car., middle of the afternoon.
    Lucky my neighbor is a landscaper- he has a row of large rocks in front od his house
    it kept the car from sliding into the house. I have replaced 8 mailboxes in 10 years.

21. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Didn't want to "get in the way".

Chuck Norris couldn't have held me back.

22. That's pretty FUNNY right there.:D

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it you weren't on rotation that day or your turn on rotation wasn't up.
    That would have taken the cake to get a call to make a tow on the backside of your yard.

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I live on a farm at the end of a 1/4 mile dead end. I've lived there for over 25 years. We average a drunk/drug relate incident every 2 years like clock work. In order to get to the end of the road you have to go out of your way to get there. One year we had a PCB druggie end up in the back of the farm. The cops wanted to tow the car out but we wouldn't let them, a similar incident happened two years before and when they pulled the car out of the freshly planted field they tore it up real bad. This time my father-in-law and I went down with his big tractor and pulled it out and up to the front of the farm, the car was not drivable by the time we got it up there. Did you know the proper way to chain up a car is not around the radiator and radiator support? It really screws the car up. Happened again last year, as we were pulling the car out the driver informed the officer that if he wasn't wearing a badge he'd kick his ass and when on to try to prove it. The cop didn't tolerate that. Three big cops kneeling on neck a 150 pound person is quite interesting.

I could write a book.

25. raymay

raymay

Similar event happened at an Auto Recycling Yard we used to own.
    Several years ago while opening up on a foggy morning, we found a car flipped over inside our yard. Seems the guy came down a road, crossed over the highway, missed a power line pole by inches, crashed thru our fence without taking it down and landing roof side down destroying a few cars that were actually runners and for sale. There were plenty of beer bottles and some blood in the car. We did make a search to see if he was in the yard. The Police later found he had been driving his mothers car and after crashing it, he walked back to his home in the nearby town and went to sleep.
    His mother called later in the afternoon saying she wanted to pick up her car that her son said he parked at our place the night before. I asked her if she had hugged her son today. She asked why. I told her when she sees her car she would probably prefer beating the crap out of him instead.

Attached Files:

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Old Manzinita Speedway here in Phoenix was on the far west end of one of our wrecking yard rows. Over cooking the east bound straight could and did have some very strange consequences... Saw an outlaw sprint do a perfect triple gainer over the fence one night. Sounded kinda like a trash dumpster being dropped from space...

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

HRP,
    In a thread filled with guys focusing on the car crash stories,I find it pretty impressive that your wisdom and experience prevailed and you chose to voice your concern for this Girl.
    I'm not knocking anybody else on here,just saying that the story of my youth sounds a lot like yours,and I totally appreciate your perspective on this.
    Wishing for someone to shake loose of their demons could only come from somebody who has lived life,and realized they are not perfect.

Not that it should make any difference to you,but your stock just went through the roof in my opinion Brother.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

28. RDR

RDR

John,
    Good to see you're on the H.A.M.B....
    Been by your yard on I-5 many times and always said I'd stop in...
    Never have yet ...but still have to go South sometime...
    need to stop at Nissens', also..
    Randy

29. big M

big M

Randy-
    Definitely stop by your next trip, you can wander and check the cars out. Nissen's hot rod shop is just across the street from me, so you can kill two birds with one stone.

---John