Register now to get rid of these ads!

Santa Maria/ Roadster Roundup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fat141, Apr 15, 2013.

1. fat141

fat141

Hello all, I don't want to start a shit fight, nor do I need to be flamed, but, if I were to spend a packet of money to visit from Australia what show would rate the best, or are they too different to compare? I attended the last two at Paso and the first at S.M. Blown away and formed some good friendships. Not sure how I would enjoy Roundup. I certainly enjoy the pictorial coverage, so I guess what I am asking, is about the ambience of both venues. I am 68 and like a drink, but the heavy partying aint my scene;)
    I realise that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ie. opinions vary along with taste,but I just thought that I would throw this one out there:confused::D
    Hopefully no need for popcorn.
    Thank you
    Rod:)

2. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Do you mean the L.A. Roadster Show? The roundup is a private affair usually in August/Sepember. Do you like customs or Hot Rods? If customs, go to Santa Maria, if hot rods, best show on west coast is L.A. Roadster Show in June.

3. fat141

fat141

Wasn't too clear was I ? Really meant the LONE STAR Roundup. My bad.
    Have been to LA Roadster and enjoyed it, specially the swap and the car park cause 'belly button" 32s get a bit tirering (sp), but still heaps of other great Roadsters. Also enjoy Ink and Iron.
    Thanks for your reply mate
    Rod

4. fat141

fat141

Thought that I might bring this back to the top, hopefully more help this time around. I believe SM has gone off a bit, more lowriders and rats than kustoms.
    Cheers
    Rod

5. fat141

fat141

BTTT for the next shift.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have been to both, and haven't been back to either in a year. Santa Maria is closer to me and possibly a better show of customs; Austin has more ambience and better bars.

Paso was my favorite, and I don't think anything compares to it any more.

7. I have been to both although it has been a couple of years since I last went to either. Personally the Santa Maria show itself is more to my liking but that is because I am much more into customs than hot rods and the Lonestar is definitely more a hot rod show. Having said that the atmosphere and vibe in Austin during the show can't be beat. No offense to Santa Maria but Austin is a much nicer city IMO and things like the Austin Speed Shop party and what goes on down on Congress Ave every night made the Lonestar a pretty hard to beat all around experience.

Other than the vehicle content I didn't find the actual shows themselves to be much different but I am not the type to talk to people I don't know so you may get a different answer from someone who likes to mingle.

8. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

The grand national roadster show is a lot of fun. But the Race of Gentlemen also looks like a great roadster event.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roadster Roundup is strickly a private INVITED affair----Period.

10. A lot has changed since the first Santa Maria show.
    We have the Friday cruise back the last few years. And last year was the biggest yet.
    Several new Kustoms are showing up each year. Last year Some top Award winners were there also. Such as John D'Agostino's "Sophia" and "Ruby" were on display

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

MORE has changed since the last California Roadster Roundup! (Eh, Deuce Daddy Don?)

Remember when the L.A. Roadsters met up with the Bay Area Roadsters on an annual basis?
    Man, there were some days...(and nights...)

12. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Last year was my 1st time had a bast:D can't wait for this year:cool:

13. The cruise and all it's surroundings alone are worth the visit

14. no55mad

no55mad

Paso was great - free parking, free show, downtown was easier to get food etc. and even though Santa Maria is home for me, the warmer Memorial Day weather in Paso is prefered. However, being in the Fairpark, you don't have kids riding around on bikes and skateboards and the drinking is more under control. Plus, there is a stage with bands, roller skating is available at the Fairpark rink, more parking for the great cars that show up, indoor booths with pinstripers and products we can't live w/o. The Fri night cruise is also a fun venue.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Agreed! I loved Paso Robles!