Register now to get rid of these ads!

De-arching leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lgh1157, Oct 19, 2006.

1. lgh1157

lgh1157

the shop on sunset shut down.

There is betts, but they are far from me.

Is there anywhere else, LA or the valley ?

L

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

do it yourself! wail away at the main leaf with a cross pein hammer over a gap between some steel bars, shouldn't take an hour to do a pair of springs.

3. eric

eric

try ATLAS SPRING in the City of Industry, right off of the 605 freeway (in between the 60 and 10 freeway). they do really good work with fair prices. they did my '63 ranchero, they dearched then repressed new bushings and got it back to me quick.

4. You GOTTA know someone with a small press............It is much easier than it looks.

5. lonely king

lonely king

take em to altlas springs..i took my springs in the morning,by the afternoon done,,cost me $98 bucks with new bushings too..real reasonable prices and kool people..

6. BRANSTUDER

BRANSTUDER
    from SALISH SEA

HOWDY,
    i had a set ov leaf springs dearched and put my 34 nash back on the ground and under load,the spring ends from leaf to leaf were seperated from their brothers at the tips,not hugged up like before dearch,as well the second leaf rear tapered end rotated to the side 1/2 inch not laying on the main spring.
    did yours seperate/shift around?is this common?
    thanks for any help..
    d

7. That was a 4+ year old thread - you'd probably have been netter off to start a new one ......

8. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

I am unable to post on this topic for some reason, but can some one answer a question for me? Looking at the pictures and reading the info, to revers the eyes it looks like they just flip it over and arch the spring the opposite way and put less arch in it. Is this correct? Thank you

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's a simple press that does the job.

Blue

Attached Files:

11. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

Call Posies spring, they make new springs with a reversed curl on the bushing ends , will give you about a 2" drop without screwing up your load capacity (fat chicks on a sat. night) They also make-em with glide pucks between the leafs for a smoth no bind ride.

12. I did some for my Nova stock car on a 50-ton brake. We put in some knife dies with a radius on them, set the stroke for a nice hit. I marked the springs every 2" with a sharpie. It was a 2-person job, but we were on the clock and getting paid on a Saturday when no bosses were around.

They matched up very well when we were done.

Bob

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

How big a bottle jack do you need to do it yourself???

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I broke my spring doing that and vowed to never piss with that again, lol. I figured I was better off ordering a new spring anyway.

15. "How big a bottle jack do you need to do it yourself??? "

I did mine with a 3 ton but I think all you need would be a 1 1/2 ton.

16. white64

white64
    from Maine

I tried the bfh and the two blocks of metal "method"... one good blow near the center bolt hole and it snapped in half at the hole...

17. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I have never arched a spring, but I have changed bushings and they can be a real bitch.
    My local spring shop will arch a set of springs and install new bushings for about a hundred bucks..and if the vehicle sits cockeyed they will re arch them for free.
    Another bonus is they can make new u bolts so you don't have to mess with buggered up 40 year old bolts

18. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

Ever considered just pulling a leaf out of the pack?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!