Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Merc Chop by Matthewsgarage

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jan 26, 2014.

1. yes palle, it is back up.....can you post that side shot of your car on here. the one you sent me. what a great pic.

2. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

3. thanks, i got a friend coming over and he is not on Hamb. wanted to show him some shots of mercs. we are going to work on the our merc. this weekend,i will get some more pics up soon....Tom

4. I like it, it would look better with a thinner stainless strip at the top.

5. The flipped rear window I me looks better on the black car where they smoothed the transition between the window and the truck. It looks like the window line that used to be the top of the window flows better with the top of the trunk opening. The window in the red car just looks bad to me when they preserved the bottom character line of the roof and now it looks like the window line goes backwards. But in te end, if they could all flow like the Lucero Merc, that would be best. Man, that chop just rocks!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Shake n Bake

Shake n Bake
    from TN

I've always preferred this style chop where the roof flows into the back glass and tying into the same slope of the rear deck. It's just Bad Ass. I love this.

7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Where do you get the trim for this window, really like the look. Thanks

8. wide34, i need to look it up, don't have the info handy.

i haven't done it yet since I have to have my glass shaved in the top corners the gasket is too tight. :(

9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, I need all the help I can get!

10. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Love a hood chopped Merc. I learned from the great Bill Hines

11. Haven't seen any mention of trimming the 51 back glass
    I did one a couple years ago. Trimmed
    1 3/4 inches off the corners so it could lay down then took 1 1/2 the top so it was a better match with the side glass.
    The repo glass comes in clear, green , grey and dark grey and they are laminated that can be cut. The factory glass was tempered and can not be cut

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. noname, i heard you can sand the factory glass down, no?

i need a little off my top corners. like a centimeter.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

No john not on the tempered. My glass guy shaved about 1/16 off of some tempered flat glass and he really didn't like trying that. Noname you have any pics of that one that you cut? That's right about what I wanted to do on one of mine

14. i don't really understand that process.....would like to see pic if possible

15. What rear window is this?

[​IMG]

16. If I remember right from the Rodder's Journal article, it is a trimmed '51 Merc window with custom trim. I think/assume it was a laminated repop window.

17. I can see, that looks great.

18. That really does look special.:cool:

19. Does that mean you like it? If customizers back in the day could have done it they would have experimented.

20. I think it looks great. As much as I love the `51 back glass, the corners do "dig" into the body a little on some chops. Not thinking of reworkign yours are you?!

Yes, it´s a shame about all the tempered glass back then. Makes you wonder what would have been done if those guys could have cut their glass relatively easily.

21. I can't redo mine but if I could bend time and space I would totally do this. It's really sharp.

22. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Once you start rounding corners on a 51 back window, you might as well round 'em all and swap in a '49-50 rear window. That one on the burgundy 51 just looks huge to me. One man's opinion only.

23. desotot

desotot

I used to think 51s should have 49-59 back windows but now I'm older and more mature.I think...

24. Shake n Bake

Shake n Bake
    from TN

"I think it looks great. As much as I love the `51 back glass, the corners do "dig" into the body a little on some chops. Not thinking of reworkign yours are you?!

Yes, it´s a shame about all the tempered glass back then. Makes you wonder what would have been done if those guys could have cut their glass relatively easily."

I think we kind of know, with Mr Bill and Mr Gene still around sharing their craft.
    But then again, you get used to certain ways over time and its hard to change or take advantage of newer opportunities.
    When I bought my first move up house we all crammed into one bathroom for months even though the new house had three.
    I don't know to much about the limitations of old glass, but I'm about to learn on an old 34 windshield.
    I do know, I Love That Chopped Merc!!!