Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Flat head needs Automatic tran

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by preacher7, Feb 15, 2014.

1. preacher7

preacher7
    from Hoisington

What automatic transmission can I hook up to my 53 flat head? I realize there are kits out there but is there a automatic that will work without buying those expensive kits?

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

flatheads were not a direct bolt-up to automatic transmissions. The adapters work very well. check out Wilcap. I bolted a GM AOD behind my '49 flattie and never looked back....

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, since Ford started using automatics in '51, a '51-'53 Fordomatic would work without buying those expensive kits, right? :confused:

4. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I stand corrected, Bob is right, the Fordomatic will work...IF you can find a working one or want to rebuild one...sure, why not. Be aware though that these trannys were only "automatic" in TWO gears...you started out in 2nd, it would shift into 3rd. If you wanted to start in first (uphill?) you still would need to manually shift to the 'low' range on the selector.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

5. 29tudor

29tudor

ford-o-matic!!! try n find one with overdrive

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Weren't all the early ford automatics two speeds?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Only because they were usually driven that way. As stated in post #4, 1st gear was only used when manually selected.

'50/'51 Chevy Powerglides, by that standard, are single speed automatics. "Drive" started off in high (2nd gear of a two speed tranny) gear....selecting "Lo" started in 1st, but required a manual shift into "Drive". In '52 models and upward "Drive" started in 1st and self shifted to 2nd.

Similar operation, just a difference in total number of ratios available. Later Cruiseomatic trannies had two "Dr" positions.......one which started in 2nd gear and the other, with the green dot, started in 1st gear. Aside from potential economy gains, the 2nd gear starts sometimes would be helpful when operating in snow or ice.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Were I wanting an automatic attached to a Flathead, the C4 Cruise-O-Matic or AOD (not an AODE) would be were I would be looking. A much better trans than the early Ford-O-Matic, in my opinion. Even considering the necessary adapter, it may prove to be the more economical choice in the long run.

9. preacher7

preacher7
    from Hoisington

Thanks for the help[ guys...... now I need to see how deep my pockets are...LOL

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here's another thought--ford's cast iron cruis-o-matic was used from 59-64. this is the small case trans. they're out there, but i don't know how cheap. you have to use the flathead bellhousing, input shaft, stator support and convertor. a trans cooler is needed, too. as i recall, the length is the same as the fordomatic.

11. jhaas63

jhaas63

My fordomatic pushes my 53 f100 just fine. And after a gear change I can cruise 70+ on the interstate. I havent ever needed to put it in low for any reason.

12. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I have a C4 with a speedway adapter, I sure could use another gear! If the C4 fails I will put an AOD in it for the overdrive.