Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Ardun and Nitro bro, it's hard to forget something like burnouts on the school grounds when you are 14-15 and having a hankering to drive anything with wheels. I didn't realize that the Chargers were around such a short time, glad I had the chance to see one up close and smell the rubber it left on the campus.

2. mopacltd

mopacltd

Keep 'em coming!

3. camerl2009

camerl2009

here's one more from Windsor dragway the rest I got are from what it looks like now for the most part
    [​IMG]

the old blacktop will probably never see another race but it would be cool to rebuild for the history and car shows here's a shot from 07 or 08 [​IMG]

4. rick finch

rick finch

5. rick finch

rick finch

6. rick finch

rick finch

7. rick finch

rick finch

8. rick finch

rick finch

9. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Airoso Brothers, from Tulare, not many gassers ran DeSotos but these guys did, set 1320 record at some point, well finished car...picture from Pomona
    [​IMG]
    Gotta love a deuce coupe gasser, not sure whose this is, track looks like Fremont

[​IMG]

Ron Colson in the Colson & Wood gasser, Ron went on to drive gas dragsters .
    [​IMG]

The Marrs Boys, strong SoCal runners, track looks like Fontana (?)
    [​IMG]

Jr Thompson, think he was running a McCulloch blower on this Stude, I remember this car, even with a stock front end, he pulled the wheels on takeoff.

[​IMG]

Remember when gassers were old Fords with steel wheels? I think that this one was Roach and Torgeson from Ventura, CA, ran a blown Olds, saw it at San Fernando, late '50s

All these gasser photos from the George Klass collection, and thanks again, George, for posting it and letting us post some of them here!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. rooman

rooman

Colson later drove front motor top fuel cars (a friend of mine owns one of them) and also drove funny cars--Chi Town Hustler and Roland Leong's Hawaiian are probably the best known.
    Gary Wood founded Stiletto and made steering components for race cars for many years--he recently sold the business to Stu Spears of Chassis Shop/Pro Werks. The Stiletto name came from the small block Chevy dragster that he and Colson ran in top gas.

Roo

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Roo, I completely forgot about Ron Colson's fuel dragster/funny car days...here is the Petersen and Colson top fueler, at Bakersfield:

[​IMG]

and the Colson & Woods gas burner at Bakersfield:

[​IMG]

12. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

This from the Marty McDonough Collection, looks like Dick Kalivoda's roadster, once Desoto powered, headers look like a SBC. Photo from '60 NHRA Nationals

[​IMG]

Hollish Brothers, from '60 Nationals (was '59 runnerup), and now perfectly recreated

[​IMG]

More from Marty's collection, '56 Nationals (don't remember whose Continental this was but think it ran a Chrysler...pretty stout

[​IMG]
    More from the NHRA '56 Nationals, photo courtesy of Justin Greene, Wild Child's Custom Shop, as are those below:

[​IMG]

Melvin Heath, from Oklahoma, won the event in '56

[​IMG]

Calvin Rice in the J.E. Riley Special, Doug Hartlett's blown Chrysler engine

[​IMG]

Weeks & Noble's engine, was this Paul Sylvan's car, once Ardun powered? I know it has been found.

[​IMG]
    I think this might be Luther Wheat, from Madera, CA, ran Chevy 6's

[​IMG]
    Back in the days when street roadsters really were street roadsters

[​IMG]
    Cortipassi and Butler Glass Slipper, at '56 Nationals

[​IMG]

"Ohio George" Montgomery, Dayton OH, before the Willys, ran this '34 with Cad power.

[​IMG]
    Bill Butters, Grohs Texico, Pico Rivera, CA

13. noboD

noboD

Love that gold T roadster, nice pics 296.

14. 296ardun

296ardun

15. Looks like Mr. Alevo is driving his '32 wearing the latest in safety headgear, a fedora!

16. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

The 32 five window was at FREMONT was HENRY PONSO the 32 had INJ RAT MOTOR would 10:50 all day long with a 4 speed.

17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

This photo is actually of the 1957 NHRA Nationals at Oklahoma City, OK. My 1957 NHRA National Championship Drags official program with entry list shows #83 as George E. Woolever from Marlow, OK driving a '41 Lincoln powered by a '54 Chrysler. His competition is #261 owned by Ted Oney from Oklahoma City driven by Pat Suchy in a '35 Ford pickup powered by a '57 Chevy engine.

[​IMG]

18. talltexan55

talltexan55
    from Tyler, TX

The Scorpion was on fast car. Saw it roll after hitting a timing light at Caddo Mills.

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

19. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A little later than some.

Shelby DragonSnake, 1963
    [​IMG]

Gene Snow's Rambunctious AWB Dart, 1965
    [​IMG]

22. I think Mr. Boring's Chevy roadster is a '33 and not a '35. How 'bout that "rollbar" he's using?

23. 296ardun

296ardun

I think you are right, here is a stock '33 Chev roadster, looks like the same body, guess the caption on the site was wrong:

[​IMG]

(sorry to post a picture of a stock car, but it makes Bowtie Coupe's point)

24. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Yes, it's crude, and no, it wouldn't have a chance of passing safety inspection today...but give the guy (or guys) credit, it's homemade, looks like some kind of 6 cylinder with homemade intake, and a VW torsion bar suspension...don't know who, where, or when, though. From the George Klass collection

[​IMG]

Corvette bodied, either a gasser or modified sports car, don't know who or where.

[​IMG]

Adams & Enriquez experiment with twin turbos, they went back to standard induction...Give Gene credit, he was always experimenting

[​IMG]

Nye Frank (?) think John Peters was also involved (?) this car ran with different combinations, I saw it with a blown Olds on gas at Lion's, then later it got a fuel Chrysler, Bob Brissette drove. They ran it at Fontana, got off to a lazy run, then the motor took hold, and then Bob barrel-rolled it in the lights. He got out ok, apparently with only a broken ankle, which he only discovered when he tried to drive the Brissette brothers roadster the next weekend. Brissette was one of the old "no-lift" drivers, along with Bob Haines, Bobby Langley, etc...

25. HEMIDAV

HEMIDAV
    from FL.

Does anyone have any other pictures of the '68 "MISTER ED" Hemi Dart of Ed Knezevich from Columbus,OH? ....or did anyone know him? He also ran a '64 car called the "HUMPIN HEMI" and a '65 A990 "MISTER ED" car.

Attached Files:

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

n

I believe there is some info on "MISTER ED" on the Doverdragstrip.com site and the ;

" Corvette bodied, either a gasser or modified sports car, don't know who or where." picture was also at Dover I think it ran altered.

Pat

27. Bob Brisette was luck he couldn't drive the roadster the following weekend. His brother, Jimmy, drove it, and was horribly burned in a nitro fire when the motor let go in the lights at El Mirage.

28. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

29. autobilly

autobilly

This thread's quality sure hasn't diminished over time.

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Is that color shot Fresno ?