Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Couple shots of a clean empty flathead block

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sauterindy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sauterindy

sauterindy

Can anyone send a couple clean shots of a flathead (8BA) block looking at the back where the cam/idler/oil pump gears sit (cover off and gears out). Also a shot through the intake looking back at this same area from top/inside? Picked up a used engine really cheap but there appears to be a void or gap in the casting that doesn't seem correct to me. Don't have anything to compare it to though.
    thanks

2. prpmmp

prpmmp

Can you post pictures of that area? The experts here will tell you whats wrong or not!! Pete

3. sauterindy

sauterindy

Bell housing not off and had trouble getting camera where I wanted it on the inside of the lifter valley but just asking the question might make more sense. Looking back from the inside of the lifter valley with the intake off, I can see the idler gear that drives the oil pump (although need mirror to see). Should that passageway be there? It looks irregular and not sure how it would then pump down the oil manifold tube.

4. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Here's a few shots may answer your questions??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Everything you are seeing is as it should be, there are no issues with this casting!

Attached Files:

5. sauterindy

sauterindy

Thanks so much!
    js