Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Tucker #1047 is at the Gilmore. It has been repainted and was Waltz Blue. It is now lighter than most other waltz blue cars. It has blackwall tires which don't help the cars looks either. The Gilmore has it stuffed in a barn and really doesn't display the car well at all. You can't get near the car and the rear is not visable. Being a rear engine car you'd think they would want to show that. If you are looking to see a Tucker there are better examples to see.

[​IMG]

Last year the Tucker Club restored one of the movie cars and it is presently at the Gilmore.

Here are some photos of the movie car at the Ypsilanti Museum. The car looks real from 50 feet away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The movie cars were built on Ford LTD chassis. Not much done in the interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Tucker family home at 110 Park Ave in Ypsilanti

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. noboD

noboD

The Ida car, Low 48, is in the AACA museum right now.

3. I love ORIGINAL Tuckers and their history. So what happened to all the movie cars ? I know I have probably read it before but I haven't been on this thread in a while.

4. Late to the party here so if this is posted already my apologizes, I wish I had time to peruse 60 pages. :D

Attached Files:

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I'm not sure if that one has been posted before either. These cars belonged to Nick Jenin who for awhile had a car show called the Fabulous Tuckers. He took several of his cars around the country. He used two 1957 Dodge D600 Trucks to haul his car carriers filled with Tuckers.

[​IMG]

The photo posted shows the test chassis that was owned by the late Dave Cammack on top followed by Tucker #1005. On the bottom of the first carrier is #1037 in front and #1046 in back. The rear carrier has #1012 at the front top and #1045 at the back. On the lower section is #1049 and #1026.

Nick Jenin is an amazing guy. Many Tuckers probably would have been lost if it were not for his efforts. He and his brother Pete owned Raceway Park in Chicago and were big in stock car racing. Nick passed away on 2/13/1978 just a few years after selling the last of his Tucker collection.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  6. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

One is owned by the Tucker Club and is temporarily on loan to the Gilmore. One is at the Ypsilanti Museum. One is in Sweden where it has ben cut up in and attempt to make a running Tucker. This project has been on hold for several years. The fourth replicar may have been destroyed. If anyone knows where it is let me know and I'll come and pick it up :D

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Over the years I've collected several "what if" Tucker photos. Here are a few.

This is a more current version of what a Tucker might look like today

[​IMG]

Most people don't know but this was the original Monkeemobile. The shows producers went with the Pontiac to appeal to younger viewers.

[​IMG]

Here is a nice stretch Tucker

[​IMG]
    A Tucker Pickup would not have been too far down the road

[​IMG]

and with a pickup you get the Camper Special

[​IMG]

I'm almost afraid to post this one

[​IMG]

A cool Tucker Woody would look great in your driveway

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. FC49

FC49

Then there's the Triclopz 1/25 scale model from Model Master. I have one, unbuilt, and I'm torn between assembling it or saving the kit as is. Collectors like unbuilt kits, but I like models I can display. I guess I'll let my executor worry about it.

FrankC

9. FC49

FC49

Is that Monkee-mobile photo legit?

FrankC

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Clearly, that's a very poorly executed photoshop. Look in front of and under the front bumber;they left part of the original Tucker background picture.

I have to say it. The only conceptual Tucker proposal that looks remotely good is the convertable. The Woody is a distant second. Rest are really a stretch.

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

It may be a bad photoshop but still my favorite. I often wondered about a Tucker Batmobile or how Thomas Magnum would looked tearing around Oahu in a sleek Tucker bodied Ferrari. It would have made an entirely different movie if Barry Newman had been racing from Denver to the West Coast driving a white Tucker in Vanishing Point. Bo and Luke Duke jumping over everything in the south in their confederate flagged orange Tucker. What if Eleanor wasn't a Mustang but was a deep green Tucker? Back to the Future would have been much more appropriate using a Tucker time machine. Starsky and Hutch could have caught more crooks driving a red and white Tucker. Maybe someone with some talent can make them come to life.

12. gyronaut

gyronaut

I think I've got these from the right timeframe (I'll recheck in a bit and provide a link):

1969 Hershey AACA Meet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one that looks like it's from October 1972, Rockville, MD that looks like one of Jennin's repainted Tuckers???:

[​IMG]

These are all from a great Labarbara Collection of vintage slides from Bonneville, car shows, dragstrips at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57343654@N03/page1/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Back in the 80s I cleaned out all the old stock parts from a body shop in western Iowa and had a box in my pile that the body shop owner pulled back out of the pile and said it was not for sale. It was a aftermarket headlight for the center of a 49-50 Ford grille. You unbolted the grille center medallion and bolted this light in that pivoted side to side and had a control rod that went over to the radiator support to another pivot point that on the bottom was connected to the tie rod end. So when you steered the car it would turn the headlight in the center of the grille in that direction. The guy called it his Tucker light, It seems that someone was inspired by Tucker.
    I have never seen another!

14. gyronaut

gyronaut

That was probably this one, but I think there were others...

[​IMG]

15. EurekaFreak

EurekaFreak

Steve, you are correct, this is the "Tucker-matic" car, #1026.

16. noboD

noboD

17. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

The orange Tucker is #1026 probably right after Dave Cammack bought it from Jenin and before it was restored.

The other car is #1008. Owned by Les Schaffer at that time. He bought it in 1967. His personalized plates were LS - 8 for Les Schaffer #8

Great photos !

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  18. ibarodder

ibarodder

Here is a picture of one I took at the Hunnert Car Pile Up.

Attached Files:

19. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

That is Tucker #1048. When were these taken?

20. rustyangels

rustyangels

October 2011 Decatur Il

21. ROCKO ROCKET

ROCKO ROCKET
    from florida

i use to live in Sharon....Bill Brei had tons of cars back in the woods,
    bill brei  lot in sharon, pa.jpg

22. ROCKO ROCKET

ROCKO ROCKET
    from florida

this is a shot of of bill brei's garage he had tons of cars in the woods. View attachment 2166367

23. ROCKO ROCKET

ROCKO ROCKET
    from florida

bill brei  lot in sharon, pa.jpg

this is the picture

24. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

The Gambs Holmes Motor Company at 301 Grand in Des Moines I. The dealership showroom shown here was built for the new Tucker 48 but did not get to be used as such.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This is a post from several years back. I solved the question of which car was in Sharon several years ago.

Originally Posted by tucker fan 48 [​IMG]
    thanks to burn out bob for all his help on on the tucker tip in sharon pa.

There was a tucker in the farrell/sharon area from around 1950 to 1952 or 53. It was first owned by guy w. Gully, 270 shenango blvd, farrell, pa , president of sol j. Gully bank, 823 w. Broadway avenue (now 823 pennsylvania hwy 718) in farrell.

The cord transmission in the tucker was replaced by paul arvil's keystone garage and machine shop, 1013 spearman ave, farrell, pa. 16121. Paul arvil is believed to still be living, the keystone garage is still in existence and operation in the same location, just a couple blocks from mr. Gully's bank (which has been closed for decades and is now a food bank). Avril said he did work on mr. Gully's tucker and that mr. Gully told him that he was an investor in the tucker company and was acquainted with preston tucker.

Another interesting side note is the gully bank was robbed by john dillinger. Albert c. Meiss sr. A young mechanic in farrell, had a service station off idaho street at spearman avenue, and dillinger visited one day. Meiss’ daughter said her father didn’t recognize dillinger at the time. Dillinger said he was having trouble and needed the car running good and wanted it to run fast, so meiss tuned it up for him. Shortly afterward the bank was robbed. The service station off idaho street at spearman avenue is the same location that became paul arvil’s keystone garage.

On tuesday, sept. 12, 1933, there was a daring daylight holdup at the s.j. Gully bank, 823 w. Broadway avenue (now 823 pennsylvania hwy 718) in farrell. Seven armed bandits using sawed-off shotguns, robbed the bank of $6,000, according to initial reports. They held three girl clerks and sol j. Gully at gunpoint as they rifled through the bank for cash. They missed $40,000 in a cash box beneath the tellers counter. They kidnapped 21-year-old watchmaker karl wild of sharon, who had recently come to the country from germany and worked at gullys adjacent jewelry store. The bandits sped away in a blue plymouth and a ford sedan. They went from broadway to north budd street in sharon and out of the state toward youngstown. Wild was abducted because he was thought to be sols son guy gully.

After gully had the car it went to a car lot at 1896 n. Water ave.,sharon, pa. The owners name was william h. "bill" brei. He had a car lot and a wrecking yard behind it. Since that time they put a road right along his property (pa 846) that goes to sharpsville pa. And the address is now 1896 n. River road. Mr brei passed away in december 2006.

I'm still searching for more information on what car this was. If anyone has any more information to add to this story please post them.

26. gyronaut

gyronaut

If Henry's suitcase is going in, what's in it? Or is it coming out? Cash, steel contracts, or steering wheels??? Someone probably should have told Sherman not to mess with the Wayback Machine...

[​IMG]

27. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Great, now I'll have to not only find the suitcase but what was in it. ;)

28. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I saw this 1948 ad recently for Albert Richard Sportswear supposedly taken at the old Clubhouse for the Tam O'Shanter Country Club in Chicago.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  29. 91Bear

91Bear
    from Boerne, TX

When did this happen? Henry Ford died on April 7, 1947 - the day my mom was born.

30. FC49

FC49

Looks photoshopped.

FrankC