Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 ford f100 with 6 lug disc brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diamond dave, Feb 9, 2014.

1. diamond dave

diamond dave

I just made a deal for a 56 f100 and It has 6 lug disc brakes on it. the truck was originally rodded in the early to late 80's.
    with that being said, I cant find anything on a 6 lug disc brake conversion for the original 56 beam. does anyone know of any vehicles that were 6 lug that bolted on to the 56 spindles? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Clik

Clik

If it's already got six lug discs........what's the problem?

3. diamond dave

diamond dave

the problem is the fact that I don't know what they are. and I want to know so I can get pads and new rotors. kindof important. I just figured that somebody has came across this before. they fit the stock 16'' rims and all. i'm gonna pull numbers if I can find any.

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Pix would help, but making a wild guess it is probably Dakota pickup, which was produced in both five and six lug versions (and yes, you can replace the six lug rotors with five lug rotors). Is the rear end six lug also?

5. diamond dave

diamond dave

thanks. i'm fine with the 6 lug rotors. I have chrome smoothies and the stock rims for it. it also has a different rear end that is 6 lug also, I assume from the same vehicle that the spindles came from. did Dakota rotors fit the spindles of my 56? I will take some pics when I can. I just got it today and it snowed a ton. didn't want to crawl under it in the snow.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Dakota 6-lug pattern is NOT the classic 6-on-5-1/2" pattern. It is 6-on-4-1/2".

7. diamond dave

diamond dave

okay. thanks. i will know more when i get to look at it weds.

8. There should be a number on the inside of the rotor and on the caliper should give you all the info you need to know.

9. diamond dave

diamond dave

I was able to take some pics of the brake calipers today. I found out that they are the same ones that fit a mid 70's dodge truck and van. but, they weren't 6 lug on dodge until the late 80's Dakota, and they weren't the right size, as noted above.
    there were some jeeps that were 6 lug in the late 70's, but they were mostly 4wd. i'm thinking it might be a straight axle from a 2wd jeep.but, it appears to be original. it looks as if the the spindles were put on the original straight axle.
    I was told the rear end was not original, but it appears to be original.
    i'm probably over thinking this. just wanted to put my findings here. when it gets warmer this week, i'm gonna pull the wheels, and rule out something simple, like wheel adapters that I cant see.

Attached Files:

10. Squablow

Squablow

'56 F-100 would have 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, what "stock 16" rims" do they fit?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pull a wheel and see if the rotors are a one-piece hub and rotor combo, or two separate pieces. If it is two pieces, it is possible that they are 4x4 rotors, over the stock hubs.

12. diamond dave

diamond dave

ive had a couple people tell me that they didn't have 6 lug hubs. I will post a couple pics of the rims that I have.

13. diamond dave

diamond dave

heres a pic of what I was told to be stock rims. they have ford script hubcaps

Attached Files:

14. diamond dave

diamond dave

I was thinking that they may be 4x4 spindles on the straight axle, but think it is pretty unlikely because they mount to the straight axle and there would be no place to pass a front axle through. but they cant be the stock hubs because the caliper mounts are cast into the spindle. I guess they could be 6 lug chevy hub, on a 5 lug dodge spindle but, that would be way to coincidental that it all fits together as well as it does.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weird. My research says 5-lug too. Can't seem to find a Ford application with six-lugs, and a beam axle. In that era, they went from 5 to 8 when they went up in weight class.

Unless I'm missing something.

16. trbomax

trbomax

The Jeep 2 wd front axel was a straight tube with dana 30 or 44 ends welded on depending on the app.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either way, someone did some fancy figuring, at some point, 'cause this is together, and it works.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, emphasis on the tube. It's the I-beam in the mix that cancels that notion.

Oh, and those were 5-lug, too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. Post it up at the Ford Truck Enthusiast site and see what they have to say about it.

20. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! First off, I'm aware that the Dakota 6-lug pattern is different than anything that ever came on a Ford or a Chevy, (found that out when I went to pick up a free Dodge pickup that was missing the wheels, my mixed set of old Chevy, Nissan and Mitsubishi rollers wasn't much help), the reason I mentioned the Volari/Dakota as the front disk brake rotor is a common swap for Ford beam axles, the rotor could have been redrilled for the six-lug pattern. Edit: Just saw the post about the caliper bracket cast into the spindle. The next step is to jack the truck up, take the wheel off, take pictures. By the way, just junked out a '52 Ford F-2 3/4 ton truck, had six lug wheels.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  21. Some International Harvesters had 6 lug wheels, mostly 4X4 stuff though.

Without picture of the brakes with the wheels off, just guess work.

22. diamond dave

diamond dave

ya know. the guy I traded told me that he didn't build the truck. but the rear end , disc brakes and tranny were probably from the same vehicle. and that the stock 16'' wheels and the chrome smoothies are both 6 lug.
    well, I pretty much narrowed the tranny down to being a 80-83 f150 aluminum top loader with overdrive. and the calipers to be mid 70's dodge truck and van.
    I know I saw the rims in the back of the truck, and I saw them on the truck in pics.but i didn't think to look to closely at them.
    the truck is outside at my dads house, and i only had limited time today, so i didn't get to pull the tires off and check the numbers on any other parts.
    with that being said, i'm gonna feel really stupid if , when i go over there Thursday, i look and see only 5 lugs instead of 6. haha

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry about it, man. Things like that happen to all of us, even to those who won't admit it.

While you are there, take a picture of the rear differential cover, in addition to all of the other stuff.

Pull a front, and a rear wheel, and take a picture of what is in there. We'll figure it out.

24. diamond dave

diamond dave

thanks man. i did notice that the rear end is a front loader, but looked like it was never out since 56. so , it may be original. i was thinking volare on the front calipers because my dad has a volare front end in the garage, and the calipers almost looked alike. but they are ball joint mounted.
    atleast i was able to find what some of the parts fit, so i can get replacement parts.

i will take lots of photos soon.

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I'm watching this thread!!!!!

26. diamond dave

diamond dave

well, dad called and said the supposed original ford rims are definitely 6 lug. and the smoothies are definitely 6 lug. i cant get over there till thurday to pull a front and rear wheel off and find more numbers. . . . .

27. We run a volare clip on our 56 and it rides like a dream and sits low. I am almost positive they are 5 lug.

28. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

29. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

hey dave missed u sat nite . thought u were getting a 48 ford ?

30. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co