Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Roadster hand formed & other projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbuilder, Apr 4, 2011.

1. carbuilder

carbuilder

The bottom piece is trimmed , welded & ground now it just need's some planishing & some tweeking plus the door jam edge added.
    126.JPG
    127.JPG
    128.JPG
    More later on this project.

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. oldman2

oldman2

Just super nice work...Jim

4. TomH

TomH

Very nice. I enjoy your posts.

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

looks great!

6. carbuilder

carbuilder

Shane one of your power hammers would of done the door skin a lot faster.

7. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

This is an amazing and informative thread. Thanks for posting, it's awesome to see how it should be done!

8. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I want to learn the art! So bad!!!

9. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have been working on the 36 chev fenders & will post picture's soon, I am having problems with my camera so its diecy. Digital cameras dont like being dropped or banged I guess.

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Quite a while since I looked in in this thread Danny. The work looks good. Good to know you are back to full health.

David

11. carbuilder

carbuilder

David thanks its good to feel good working instead of trying to work in constant pain. Now if I could just get to 75% of your hand formed quality I would feel great thanks again Danny.

12. carbuilder

carbuilder

Well I am slowly getting back to things my Packard customer put thing to a halt for awhile he has moved to Salt Lack city to open up a new Air Stream trailer dealership hope fully in the next few months I will be able to get going on it again. I will be starting on front fenders, inner splash aprons, & grill shell for a 36 Ford pu this week slowly. So over the the next few months I will be working on them I have a monthly budget to work with. I also have bought a left rear fender for patterns so I can make ropops if any one is interested in new hand formed 36 PU fenders. I will be building bucks for both fronts & rears 19 gage steel as the originals were.

I had been gathering parts for awhile to build a new Kent White style power / planishing hammer so while things were slow the last couple of weeks I cobbled this to gather.
    1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

I still have a few things to do to it but it is very functional now.

At my age 66 plus I am just trying to think about working smarter not harder so I can keep doing this for quite awhile.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  13. oldman2

oldman2

Wish I could "cobble" together something like that, nice job, what are you using for the drive part on top?...Jim

14. carbuilder

carbuilder

Jim the air motor & dies are all Kent White Tinman Tec real nice stuff, there not cheap but lots of power & reasonably quite this on is the #3 unit he has 4 or 5 avaliable as funds allow I will get them all. I plan on build tooling holder racks, additional air motor holders & a removable center arm. As I get thoes parts finishe they will be added to this. I also have a couple of 36 roadsters to build a lot of parts for over the next few months. Plus trying to get my building expansion done so I can reorginize my shop to make it more work frendly.

I realy wanted to by the big Baileigh power hamer with planishing unit & was counting on a couple of other things that fell thru. So I put this together instead. At 66 plus I just cant justify financing any equipment & I have less the 20% of what the base Baileigh MH 19 would of cost me in this so far & I am a Baileigh dealer.

We have named the power hammer planisher THOR like in the movie its big & will pack a big hammer. So stay tuned we will see how it works.

15. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Dan, you will love this hammer. I have had one for 13 years now, and it has made me lots of money! Kent's tooling is well worth the money. If you can buy the full set of dies, get them. The shrinking dies and flanging dies are awesome! Also, the roughing head will save you lots of hand labor shaping on the bag. Enjoy your new machine!

16. carbuilder

carbuilder

Tim I have all of Kent's dies I just stepped up bit the bullet & ordered all his in 1 pop,I also have had for a long time all most a full set of the Michigan Pneumatics upper & lower dies. I need to make an adapter to fit the mp uppers into the TM lower tool holder. I also want to make a couple of other upper dies for reverse curve planishing. He now has an air oiler added to the air regulator which takes the guessing out of oiling the motor I have that also. I also plan on making a mid height drop in arm coming off of the back bone.

I have just done a little playing no real parts yet & it is real nice, easy to feather down or run up & power into stuff. I work mostly with 19 gage akdq & it forms it like butter. I had a piece of demo scrap from my Baileigh mag break 18 gage bent, rolled & 2 hard 135 degree creases. I sorta hand manipulated the roll & creases out then just using the planishing die I flattened the panel out straight in a little over 3 minutes then nit picked the final few blemishes 4 to 4 1/2 min total. The crease marks from bending in the brake where almost negligible with a quick sand of 80 grit on the electric DA flawless finish no marks any where. If I had wheeled out the same piece I probably spent 15 min or more wheeling the 2 crease marks would still have shown. So yes I am real pleased. I have to build a rear tail pan for a customers 36 Ford roadster & parts of the rear inner tubs. I will see how well I can make the shrink dies work liking it very well so far. I have a couple of other down the line major forming projects to use it for lots of power shrinking & planishing new set of 36 Chev front fenders & a pair of new 36 PU rear fender all front flat stock.

My whole idea is to make this machine as efficient as possible for my shop. keep watching I have my health back considering my age 66+ now to step my shop up in what I can do & bump the quality a few notches let the fun begin.

17. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Glad you bought them all. Good investment! The shrinking dies took me a little while to get used too, but they work great. I build a lot of motorcycle gas tanks out of 16ga, and they eat that heavier material right up. I have also made 2 different bolt on arms to be able to planish odd shapes. This is a very versatile tool for sure!
    I am still going to add a Yoder to the shop, but this machine has delayed the need for one for quite some time. The only difference I see in the two is the bigger contact area, but my machine does a great job on low crown panels, it just takes a little longer to shape, and you have to watch your tracking a little closer. Post up some pics as you add more arms to it!

18. carbuilder

carbuilder

Tim I have a lot of yoder parts I am selling you would need to fab arms & a tower which I could do for the wright price. I am asking $6500.00 for my parts I have 9k in them. Pm me if any one is intrested.