Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs One Last Try...."Kandy Apple Kart" '55 Ford Tudor Sedan from Milwaukee...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Owned by Dick Neilsen, Manager of the Badger Paint Store in the Southgate Shopping Center. Resided in Greenfield. Car was Titian Red, with Fogged Pink and White Scallops, Lowered, Royal Master Narrow Whitewalls, Black Rims, Tube Grille, Buick Portholes in the Hood, Nosed, Decked, '60 Dodge Taillights mounted sideways, Full White Interior with Swivel Lounge Chairs, had the name centered around a small Apple with a Worm sticking out the top on the Rear Quarters. Early 1960's.....Somebody must know this car.....Dick was a member of the "Roven Chariots" Car Club........Maybe some newer HAMBERS might remember Dick or his car....Thanks....Centurion9

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. krooser

krooser

I grew up on the South Side but don't remember the car.

Southgate was one of our hang-outs (my girlfriend worked at the lunch counter at W.T. Grants!) along with Leon's Custard Stand... went to Pulaski High right across the street.

What years was this ride around?

3. Hey krooser....Dick probably worked at the Badger Paint Store from maybe 1959 to at least 1963....My folks lived on 24th and Morgan in Southlawn and I went to both Jeremiah Curtin School and Audubon Junior High....that was like 58-61. That long low two-tone Chopped Purple '51 Mercury was always at the shop right around the corner of 27th and Morgan to the South (built by Frank Chevonak (sp) as I recall..I went to school with his son Frank) The Kandy Apple Kart was always parked behind what was then the Howard Johnsons on the corner. I did hear some time later that the car had been painted a dark metallic green and the front end was in light grey primer but I can't confirm that. As many mods as the car had, and with the unmistakable paint and Scallops, if you had seen it, you would not have forgotten it. I'm still amazed that no one remembers this car...It's not like Milwaukee was Custom land....if there was a car to be known, nearly everybody got a whiff of it......This is pretty much my last shot....I said that before, but my lust for the history of this one just keeps gnawing at me.....

4. krooser

krooser

There are a couple of guys I can ask... one has a shop here in town. One has a machine shop and lived in bay View...another one worked for Casper's Auto Upholstery shop on Kinikinic Ave....it was his uncle's shop.

Ask BobK here on the HAMB... he also lived in Bay View and may have know a few of the older guys....

5. PM sent to BobK...no response.....Anyone else? This was one of the most modified cars on the South Side for several years......

6. Man....7 pages down in two days????? Now I'm committed.....When BobK can find his '39 and I find the Kandyapple Kart...the world will come to an end.........Anybody? Bob doesn't remember the car either....I think we are about 3-4 years apart and maybe 5 miles at the most.....You old guys must remember this car.....The Frank Chevonak (Gil Latus owned) Chopped/Extended TwoTone Purple '51 resided within blocks (S.27th and Morgan Ave.) of the Kart for a few years.....If you knew one, you probably knew the other.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I'm going to ask a friend Friday about that car. He had a 57 Chevy with custom paint he did himself. Was a body man for many years. Since he's 67 years old, he may know.

8. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I talked to a couple of guys at meeting tonight and none know of this car or fellow. Will try again at car club meeting Sunday asking other people.

9. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Found nobody who knows about this guy or car...sorry.+

10. Thanks for the effort...I always appreciate when you guys jump in where you can!

11. Btt....................

12. Another try.........Centurion9

13. jeffrob

jeffrob

BTTT

I gotta see this car

14. Some of the original West Allis Auto Club members from the early 60's came back as members again. I'll copy your request about the car in question and post it on the board.
    I know one guy has pictures of car shows from the early 60's. See if he has some pics.

15. Still hoping........

16. Beebing.....Along with the photos of the KAK, I gave away a huge stack of photos from an Open House when the WACC was housed in the old Bus barns on 84th and Greenfield. Our loss...There were 5 or 6 Clubs represented....ET's, Night Owls, and several others.....Centurion9

17. Btt......................

18. Not giving up..........