Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GAZ 12 «ZIM» Custom coupe (Russian build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razer, May 8, 2013.

1. Wonderful Ideas ,well executed with the newer platform's mechanics and technology to end up with a great performing car.....we are very lucky to see this build from Russia....
    I am a fan of this style build,used on 40s thru 50s cars here.....
    THANK YOU!

2. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Weir is an U-shape in cross section. It is made from two L-shape corners by their connection. Each corner was molded around the perimeter of the tailgate with the longitudinal and lateral bending, as well as taking into account the perimeter rubber gasket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First, one L-shape corner was welded to the tailgate frame. It was spot welded to the body panel's tuck. And this corner has a horizontal face. The second corner's welded to this face.

[​IMG]

Therefore weir was formed around the perimeter, except the top corners. Two symmetrical parts in the from of a sickle were made. Also they has pimples for rubber pads. Before welding every detail was skinned, degreased and coated with zinc-containing welding couch. At the end of metal's work surpulus of soil will be removed and all the body will be coated with antirust couch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--

Photo by Danila Romankov

3. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Amazing concepts and craftsmanship...thank you for sharing your project!

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

the talent here is amazing

5. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Thus, the rear suspension is ready, and we can deal with its arrangement. I have to make a few parts for reinforcement. I'll start with the amplifier clips trunk release. Traditionally, I use cardboard templates. It took them two. One - the view from above, the other - front view. I cut out steel billets by patterns and form their. On the upper detail I do groove by beading machine, repeating the loop back of the car, and cut off allowance, fitting into place. The opposite edge of the press brake and folds back stretch to give the desired profile. It remains to make the slot for the lock. At first I squeeze relief contour cuts. This procedure is performed using a special tool, which is a two steel plates, one of which is included in the other with a gap of 3 mm. I made it for half an hour and it's a kind of stamp. This device was needed for the second part amplifier and with its help, I stamped the "window" along the workpiece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I customized both elements in place and fix with clamps. It remains to walk on the welding seam and detail is almost ready. I make a pocket for the wiring harness going to the brake lights. For it I cut out a strip of sufficient width and folded by bender two shelves - one (lower) at 90°, the other approximately at 75°, to provide access for the electrodes of spot welding.

[​IMG]

After that I put together all the details and try on to the installation site. All sits in its place, according to the measurements. After processing the internal surfaces by soil reinforcement can be welded.

[​IMG]

6. Bloody oath

7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it! Supreme Quality!

8. haychrishay

haychrishay

It's always cool to see whats happening on the other side or the world. Nice work !

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope this stays here, you can only work with what you have available to you. The superb work should qualify this project to stay here!

Doc.

10. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I agree Doc.This build shows so much. Time and skill of execution. Taking something not common and blending two dissimilar cars into one. Since the drive train car is from a JDM Crown, I wonder how the right to left driver position will be addressed?

11. raven

raven

Refreshing artistry at work. Love it.
    r

12. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Not so long ago I got rims. They were made-to-order in strict accordance with the project's design by given parameters (18/8et+35).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Curious to know if this build was commissioned or a spec job.

14. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Okey. Thanks for your attention to my project. I have my own workshop. There I create this and other same projects (include creating customs and some restoration works). Its my main work.

15. We are not used to seeing work like this created from nothing. Normally people are cutting and modifying, but it´s great to see work like this, made from new sheet metal. Very cool.

I think Denis is asking if a customer came to you with this project, or if it is something that you build for yourself?

16. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

The concept drawing alone is amazing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. wow, very inspiring. Awesome craftsmanship and vision The concept drawing is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on your progress. I will show this one to my students.

I have to admit part of the fun was using my internal Russian accent while reading.

bengeltiger likes this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Bumgaz, I've been following this thread from the beginning, and have to say the concept is beautiful, and your skills are very good. Thank you for sharing, and I am looking forward to watching the progress.

19. This guy knows what he is doing! Thanks for posting.

20. johnod

johnod

Very interesting thread, and very nice work.

21. amazing work still but, is really no wheel police araound ?:)

22. banginona40

banginona40

Wonderful work! I'll stick around.

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm amazed. thats beautiful work and the photography has alot of impact too.
    Stunning skills.

24. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

After thinking about tailgate's reinforcement, I decided to make it by "tube" scheme. There were two options: the first involved the production of relevant fragments of the amplifier 1.5 mm aluminum sheet using plywood templates and subsequent welding in argon. This amplifier provides for "cross" connecting corners for damping torsional moments. The second option, which I chose - tube that runs along the perimeter of the trunk lid. Tube for reinforcement is 30x2,5 mm. It has sufficient strength. I took advantage of forming master model cover. Strengthening it across, to prevent extension, I stuck to it from one end of the tube and pushing on the other side of the tube, arched her. Bending received inadequate because tube tends to straighten up and take initial shape. After the central flex was obtained, I should think about bending the corners. There is no bending tool in the workshop. But I caught the old wheel.

[​IMG]

I adapted it instead of bending tool. Piece of shaped tube was welded to wheel for fixing. After careful measuring and marking I did two lower bends with small radius and cut the excess pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tube for reinforcement is ready.
    Follow us on Rods & Customs, Russia. Here you can find more detailed technical information and other interesting projects.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another subscribed, love your talent and skills. Keep us updated.

26. kma4444

kma4444

Great fun to follow your build. Thanks for the updates

27. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

28. 296ardun

296ardun

Really impressed with the craftsmanship!!!

29. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful workmanship and beautiful design, I'm very impressed!