Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air compressor for air bags, what worked the best !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Mar 15, 2011.

1. What is the best Air ride compressor you found to work, and last the longest. Whether it came in a complete kit, or bits and pieces you gathered over the years.

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

electric or engine driven? electric i say, really like my viair dual 380s, work good, fill prettty quick, never a failure, and i use mine alot.....engine driven, have setup a couple of yorks that work very good and are super fast......

3. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

I'd look into a York. If it can run an impact then it should pop your bags..

4. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

ViAir 380's and 480's are the best electrics for the money. They are rated 100% duty to 200PSI and I have not had a failure reported to me in the last 4 years. Oasis are the best period. They fill much faster and are also very heavy duty. Thy cost a lot more but you only need 1 to fill a tank just as fast as 2 of the 380's.

For Engine driven the York's seem to hold up the best.

5. Simplicity

Simplicity
    from Toronto

Viair 400's have been a super pump for me, 2 on a 5 gallon tank is golden!

6. Engine driven would be the best for a "serious" system. Otherwise ViAir is the only way to go! Just all depends on how big/good a system you want.

7. any pixs of a York . how hard to adapt to an engine. v belt ?
    Thank's

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

I agree, these things is awesome!!!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been installing Viair units for a few years. No complaints. I do also have a York on my OT/DD. It also works really well. They cheap and easy to mount (rectangular box, bolt holes on 3-sides, can be mounted on the side). They can be found in v-belt and serpentine models, and are still being manufactured new. They can be found used in hundreds of vehicles as AC units (3 displacements). Mine was $15.

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/compressors.htm

10. outcast13

outcast13

Very clean set-up !!

11. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had good luck with Viairs, but is there any way to quiet them down? Can hardly hear my engine!

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Thanks! Heres it is after a bit of rearranging.

[​IMG]
    This is for a helper setup, so its a bit simpler than a dedicated bag system.

13. Very clean set up! Is a air filter manditory?

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

I have one of those york compressors from an auto ac. How specifically should be plumbed in? A diagram or photos would be great. Thanks

15. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

ditto on the york setup, i could use some pics and info

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Yeah, it comes with a little plastic one but it looked like crap, so I made a mount for that one.

If its too loud I'll build a muffler to go under the filter, theres tons of room!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

York diagram (courtesy of ColoradoK5, 4x4 stuff, but you get the idea):

[​IMG]
    The ports on the top of the York compressor are marked on the top "S" for suction, and "D" for discharge. The discharge port is the pressure side. I removed the cylinder head from mine so I could drill and tap the ports for pipe thread. This helped me with a clearance issue. There are adapter fittings for all of the fitting variants, should you not want to go this route.

Also, there is a certain amount of oil blow-by on a York compressor. Much of that can be eliminated using this modification (the unloader is not a bad idea either):

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/york_mod/index.asp

The rest can be removed with a coalescing filter (oil trap):

http://www.about-air-compressors.com/coalescent.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalescer

In every case, with every compressor, an intake filter is mandatory. On my 4x4 rig, I plumbed the intake port into the air box for the engine, which provides the air filtration.

18. Hey thanks tin man

19. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

I used the YORK 210 off a Volvo

20. i dig viair 480's. never failed me, fill fast, low amperage draw, they can take alot of abuse.

but asking what is the best compressor is like asking whats the best motor for my car? it depends on what your putting it in, what will you do with it? how big is the tank? how many are you running? what kind of alternator do you have? are you good with maintenance?

21. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Compressors suck. if my only option was a compressor, it would be an Oasis. i only use/ recommend nitrogen.

22. chip chipman

chip chipman

I have used the york pump for over thirty years on four wheel drives in Norcal. Used for air tools and reinflate tires leaving the trails with a tube tank for a rear bumper. Never had a problem They can be mounted on either side or on the bottom. Can be found with a v or serp belt pully. I have even mated one to a toyota starter motor to drive it off 12 volts. They came on Fords, Chrysler products, Volvos and Peterbuilt trucks and probley more.

Attached Files:

23. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Anything with turbo in the name that's not a actual turbo is junk..

24. WCRiot

WCRiot

I searched instead of creating a new post!

25. benway0007

benway0007
    from nh

are the york 210 compressors usable when mounted side ways? i know the oil sump is at the bottom like an engine. but i have seen some photos out there of people mounting then on its side..

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Only if you want it to live.

27. If that is all you are running, it might be OK if you are running a bag system or something with more demand I wouldn't.

28. socal75

socal75

Where is the best place to pick up brackets for the yorks to mount on a sbc?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. jon83

jon83

you pretty much have to make your own. There is a universal mounting plate available, but how to mount it to the engine with your pulley set up.. is up to you. If there is a mounting bracket available.. its probably pricey.