Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want to relocate my pickups GAS TANK - need help finding vendor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, May 19, 2009.

1. i just put an '82 ford pickup tank inside the frame rails up under the cab of a '38 chevy pickup. there is still room for the driveshaft, and the filler neck i routed up through the floor and out the original filler location so the truck looked original and was easy to fill.
    i have seen trucks with filler necks in the bed but never liked the idea.

2. I took a long look & many measurements at the entire undercarriage of my 55.2 Chevy PU and the only place I can fit a tank is back where the spare tire would go. 'tain't 'enuff room elsewhere! It looks like I can keep my exhaust going straight back under the tank and out the back though. May add some asbestos and air space too between them, just for chuckles.

3. tailpipes don't get that warm, as long as you have some clearance there you'll be fine.

4. Yep, but my name is Murphy. Surely you have heard of my law, Murphy's Law. Actually there are a mess of them. The 1st is, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong!" There is also a set of military Murphy's Laws - which can be even worse. That's why there won't be any gas in my gas tank - just in case!

5. i installed a mustang gas tank in a 57, removed and flipped the rear cross member installed the filler in the box using a flat mounted flip-up boat filler the sending unit didn't work with the stock gauges so i welded a chevy to the ford pickup nice and flush don't show below the frame and dragging as the diff is mounted above the springs

6. here is a picture of the '82 ford pickup tank inside the frame rails of a '38 chevy pickup. just in case it might help someone else;

Attached Files:

7. 8baller

8baller
    from indiana

I know this is an old post..but this is what we did...errrr....well my buddy did with a 67 mustang tank on my 57 truck..put the cage under it for a little just in case

Attached Files:

8. RoadScholar

RoadScholar

Take a look at John Niolon's site: http://jniolon.clubfte.com/ and look at his article 'Mustang Tank'. It's pretty complete, with pictures, sketches and info about parts. His installation is on a '53 Ford, but is typical for pickups of that era.

9. verde742

verde742

might get a 65-67 Cougar tank, just like Mustang, cept filler is out the driver's side, instead of middle back.