Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '30 Ford 68B Cabriolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PatzPaint, Jan 21, 2014.

1. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Way back in 2005 my wife and I decided we wanted another Rod. The first 1 we had was a 28 Sport Coupe that I built in 79-80, and sold in 85. The buyer invited us to his place in 2005 and let us take it driving. Well that was enough to get my wife thinking that we needed to build 1 again.
    We found a 30 Cabriolet in Langley BC for an acceptable price, and so we(I) began construction.
    I had all the dims. and templates for an A frame, so 2 x 4 x 1/8 tubing was molded into shape. A 32 front X member was used. I decided on a wishbone type front end connection instead of 4 bars, for a more "old timey" look. I wanted a "resto/period" garage built flavor to the Finished product.
    After the frame was built, and only tacked together, the body was placed on it and the work started on it.

Attached Files:

2. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

The project slowed considerably over the next few years, a job loss, grandkids, and some other interests just seemed more important. We were out camping in the Merrit-Tulameen area of BC and whilst riding our CT's in the bush, we came across a 38 Sedan on its side, and pretty well stripped of everything. I had some tools and decided the dash might work in the '30. We got it out, strapped it to my back and brought it home. Some cutting and welding had it fitted to the cabriolet.

Attached Files:

3. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

In October of '13, I had sold the Harley, (getting too old to risk it), and decided to make a big effort on the A to get it ready for my oldest grandsons Grad, which will be May this year(2014). The body was removed from the frame, placed into a trailer for storage, and the frame was was turned into a Chassis.
    The engine is a 76 305 Chevy, 262CompCam, Victor Jr, 750 Edelbrock, 1.6 Comp Cam rockers, Cloyes chain, melling hi volume pump. TH350 with shift kit, 2200 TCS Convertor, 9in. Ford Van center section with Maverick axles and tubes. The front end is traditional 3" dropped narrow axle on a reversed eye spring, Hairpin style radius rods, Vega cross steer with a panhard bar. Rear is sitting on a triangulated 4 bar with adjustable coil overs.
    The exhaust is shortie headers with 2 1/2" pipes through stainless MagnaFlow mufflers.
    Front brakes are the Chrysler disc, Chevy caliper combo. rears are 10" drums.

Attached Files:

4. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Those with inquiring eyes will notice that I opted for a '32 gas tank arrangement. I purchased a "'32 rear frame rail repair kit" and adapted it to the A frame.
    The chassis was finally finished in late November, we started it and checked that there were no leaks anywhere, that the tranny worked, the brakes worked etc., and all seemed well. We then took the chassis into a storage unit so that the body could be finished off.

5. I left my 38' parked by the lake in Tulameen a couple years back. Kinda looks like my dash to. ........

6. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

do you still have the Ashtray for it :D I would like to fill the hole it came out of.

7. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Here is a closer look at the dash, the '32 column and '36 steering wheel

Attached Files:

8. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

I have done some more assembly on this. Working on the wiring now mainly.
    I intend on getting some wide whites "one of these days":rolleyes:
    Wife says wear these out first.:mad:
    Wife and kids bought me a "Keepitclean" wiring kit a few years back, so I am fitting it. I did wire my old rod so it is not a new process to me.

Attached Files:

9. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Still on the assembly trail. Now wishing I had built it completely, and had everyone who is interested come and comment, then fixed/modified, then pulled it apart and painted it. Reason for this is some things looked better 5 years ago, forgot to ask "shotgun" her thoughts on a couple of things.:eek: Anyway, it now has the windshield fitted, the wiper motor fitted, new hand brake is being fitted, the brake pedal arm has been shortened, the gas pedal modified for foot clearance. Oh, and the HAMB plaque from 2009 has been installed.:)

Attached Files:

10. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

First time out of the cave for it. Drove it up and down the lane to check everything out, and to finally take a real pic of it.

Attached Files:

11. Nice Cab...bro....what are you doing for a top ?

12. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

I am modifying a "Fits All" Speedway SS convertible irons to fit. The top should look like a '34 cabriolet. I hate the Landau irons with a passion. I am actually working on them today.
    The top parts have to be extended by about 3", and a few other mods. I will post pics as I go.

13. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Well I now have the hood fitted and painted. The "Cartouche" interior went together well, I had to make up a foam backrest cushion for the front seat, as the spring I was given with the car was not the right one.

Attached Files:

14. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Yes I know the hood is not painted in the pic, but it is raining here and I want to take it outside to take more pics.

15. yes on the landau irons....they are missing on mine....

16. Great to see another Model A Cabriolet here! I have been working hard on my '29 cabriolet for the last three years or so. I am so looking forward to getting mine to the stage yours is at already. Subscribed.

17. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Well it was a nice sunny day here and I managed to take some pics

Attached Files:

18. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

The hood sides are 32Ford shortened to suit. The hood, radshell, grill, splash aprons and running boards are the only repro parts. All the other sheet metal is all 30 Ford, 32 Ford gas tank, 37 Ford Dash. The bottom 3" of the rear 1/4's have been replaced.