Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Wow! Wild story.

The tire would be fine on a 5, 5 1/2 or 6 inch wheel not good on a larger or a 4 or 4 1/2. Do you know if and what style tire machine was used or was it done manually with tire irons hopefully not. A misplaced bead breaker on a machine can also do the deed.

Also examine the fracture closely. Is it all fresh or is there any darker colored area that might have been an existing crack. The good news is it didn't happen on the track.

Do you know how much air was put in them? I usuall fill to 20 psi and then drop them at the track to 12-14 rear and 8-12 front with the tubes.

I have had no trouble over 24 years with my wheels and tires but always pay to have them done on a no rim contact type machine.

I also had a 12" mag rim I could not get two diferent tires to bead seat completely. It is a 4" front. Finally put it in a big lathe and skin cut it and polished the surface. With copious tire lube it seated

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. I'd say the thing to be glad about is the fact that you were not in the garage when it blew! :eek:

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yup. A tire blew off the rim while being inflated on a tire machine in my friends tire shop. Broke the tire man's arm and blew out the windows in the shop.

4. the shadow

the shadow

found out that the guy had put 50 psi in that tire to try to pop/seat the bead, so that may have done it? I will save the wheel & the broken piece maybe a good welder can fix it. I may look for a 12"-6 pin and see if I can re-drill it for 5 lug as a back up wheel?

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

There aren't any welders that good

6. I don't know about that. Eric Vaughn has repaired some pretty busted up wheels.

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The August 2013 Sprint Car and Midget magazine has a two page photo of Wally Zale in 1939 at Riverview Park in Chicago in a #1 (probably) Offy.

Anyone know who built the car with the apparently very large cowl flair and what appears to be a straight tube front axle and no cross spring showing in the photo?

Anyone have other pictures?

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

I was probably there.... before I was born,my dad took my mom to the races at Heidelberg....I was born 2 months after this race,and mom used to tell me .....about the dust!!!:p;):eek:

9. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Wally Zale drove for my father in law Walter Max Reichenbach when he and his brother Dutch were the Reichenbach Brothers in Chicago . I have a few pic. of Zale. Max often told me Zale could drive a wheel barrow and win. His mother said he should stop racing before he got hurt. Well he got killed trying to beat a train.

10. gearguy

gearguy

11. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Max Reichenbach and I spent some time together with Ronnie Householder and Tiny Lund. Tiny has quite a racing story and Ronnie dove my father in laws Black midget.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I was privileged to meet Ronney Householder when I first worked with the K&K team at Daytona in 1966. He struck me as very down-to-earth, and a real gentleman. I talked to him about his driving career, and we had some long conversations. When I first addressed him as "Mr. Householder," he replied, "My name is Ronney."

13. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

See attached.

Attached Files:

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This has same goggles as above that were riveted to the mask which was made by a local leather guy about 55 years ago

Attached Files:

15. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Would it be possible to post a picture of the back side of these masks. I always wondered if there was any padding in them. Thanks

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

No padding Stan, the second picture is the back side.

But of course this one was not a commercial product.

17. TommyA19

TommyA19

I hope I don't get in trouble here - posting info about the Vintage meet at Loudon this year:

Fellow ACOT member,
    I am contacting you about a matter of urgent concern to owners, drivers and fans of vintage sprints and midgets.
    The Vintage Celebration has been scheduled for August 3-4, 2014 at New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon New Hampshire. This event, which celebrates its 24th year, is the oldest and largest vintage open wheel event in the country. It is an exceptional opportunity to take our cars out on the track and do some “exhibition” racing in a safe and sane manner. This event affords a way to meet old friends and make new ones while recapturing the glory days of these historic cars.
    In the past, some tracks paid the club to come and participate at various events. This practice has come to an end at many tracks in recent years. Because of this fact, the cost of gas, and attrition of drivers, the Vintage Celebration is in serious jeopardy. If we want to enjoy our cars rather than to consign them to some museum where they will become part of a static display, we must act now to preserve what we have, vintage racing at the largest race track in the Northeast.
    As Ben Franklin once said, “If we don’t all hang together, surely we will hang separately.”
    It may interest you to know that the “Speedway” significantly reduced the entry fees in 2013 in order to address complaints concerning the increase of fees in 2012.
    Please join me at Loudon this summer and keep vintage racing alive in the Northeast.
    More info posted on the website below under Gearhead’s Favorite Events.
    Sincerely,
    Jack Wegman owner /driver
    The Olde Indian Number 28 - Mohawk Ford Special
    1927 Hudson chassis, 3 Springer - Model B Ford powered

Jack Wegman
    18 Juniper Hill Rd.
    East Sandwich Massachusetts 02537
    Phone: 508-888-3103
    Email: [email protected]

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG] 1948, Me sitting on Dads lap, car is under restoration. John

19. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

The last midget Walter (MAX) Reichenbach built has found a beautiful new home in Bill Smith's Speed Museum in Lincoln Ne. If you ever get a chance to go there it is a huge collection of the best racing cars you will ever find.BK

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]

NEMA 19 had this right.

From Dave Dykes racingthroughtime.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/8752906540/in/set-72157632911694050
    Captured here in a midget at the former Ponta Delgada Motor Speedway in Tiverton, Rhode Island is the late Oscar “Cannonball” Ridlon. Also known as “Ponta Delgada Motor Stadium” and “Tiverton Speedway” the track was built as a 1/5 mile dirt oval around a soccer field debuting in 1939. For the 1941 season, it was paved. Events were held through July 26, 1942 when WW2 intervened. Racing resumed after the war, and continued (on a somewhat inconsistent basis in later years), until the facilities demise in the early-50s. As for Ridlon, he was one of the truly-legendary “characters” within the annals of New England racing history. After a colorful career racing open-wheelers, he became promoter of both the Pines Speedway in Groveland, Massachusetts (also gone now), and New Hampshire’s Hudson Speedway. (Photographer Unknown).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  21. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I located two cars locally and will be taking them for display at the Detroit Autorama... neither owner knows any history of their car... I would like to gather as much information as I can to present to the spectators... some things are obvious such as the V60 and the aluminum 215 motors... but, I would appreciate knowing what years these cars would have raced and any other interesting facts to make the display more informative

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. jrbit

jrbit

Hello to all those who love the midgets. I need help in putting KK#90 back on four wheels. If anybody can help I need a few parts. I need a front axle with spindles, a norden steering gear, and a Kurtis Kraft fuel tank. Any help please call James at 304-619-6544 or email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance , James

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I can post more detailed shots if would help in having information provided

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

The #18 car looks like rail frame chassis with no roll bar, could be from late 30's and stop in late 50's, 1960 or so is when roll bar was required. The roll cage started in 1970 and it looks a Kurtis body, could be from 46 thru sometime in 70's. Aluminum Buick/OLds were used mid 60's-mid 70's. If you take some body panels off and under pans, take some pic's of frame , suspension, radius rod attachments and the second car can probably be ID as a Kurtis Kraft or copy as there are several KK owners on this thread with a lot of knowledge for ID. It is a right hand steer which was a pavement car deal, and the frame looks wider which makes me think it might be a KK copy. Hopefully someone will recognize the cars and give you some history for their past. John

25. the shadow

the shadow

do any of you know of any 12" steel wheels (factory made not home made) that are out there that would fit a 5.5 BC? i am looking for a set of wheels for my midget to use to roll it around. I saw a midget locally a few years ago that had 12" x 4" factory made steel wheels on it with steet tires 9to roll it around) and i am trying to find out what they were or where he may have gotten them (he has passed away so I can't ask him). I have found some 12" X 4" 5/4.5 trailer steelies but I need 5/ 5.5".
    Paul

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      180 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      197.3 KB
      Views:
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:confused:Could they have maybe have been from an import car?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Coming through Colorado and Denver next week on my way home via Lincoln Nebraska and Speedy Bill's collection for the sixth time.

Wondering if there are any cageless guys out there whom I could arrange a short garage tour with during that week.

Please send PM, e-mail [email protected] or my wife's cell 952 594-9301.

Thanks,

Art

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  28. Alfa3

Alfa3

Hello, I would like to see more pictures of the Buick, I know of a few racers from the
    Ohio area that ran Buicks and Olds. I don't recongnize this car at first sight.

Thanks
    Phil

29. PRA Fan

PRA Fan

Need help with information on the attached midget. I the late 1950's it was driven by Fred Kraus (Pittsburgh Pa), I am looking for information prior to this. The car was a black and white #6, V8-60 Frame Rail midget. My understanding is that Fred purchased the car in Clinton, PA. Thanks.

Attached Files:

30. Gary Peers

Gary Peers
    from Australia

Hi - does anyone remember the Kurtis Kraft (I believe out of Ohio or Pennsylvania) that was run in 1958 as the "Northfield Castings Special" it had an Offy. I have recently purchased the car in a disassembled state with most parts etc, but no motor.
    Thanks Gary