Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit Autorama or LoneStar Roundup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TinShed, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TinShed

TinShed

I am thinking about going to the autorama or the lone star round up. I have some free airfare I need to use or loose what would show would you go to and why.

Tim

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Detroit, or Austin?

C'mon man...

3. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

Definitely the round up...this will be my third year traveling from Ohio to Austin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

LOTS of guys choose the Detroit Autorama year after year to attend and have only been to the LSR once or twice. Sounds like you've never been to either. If you can only chose one this year it would probably be best to choose the LSR as you are from MN and have the same awful, bitter cold winter that we are experiencing now. We are normally not this cold with this much snow for this long. Go to Austin and enough the great weather this year then come visit us here in Detroit for the Autorama next March when it will probably be in the 70's! lol

If you do choose Detroit this March please feel free to stop by my place for my annual Hot Rod Mingle on that Saturday night.

5. TinShed

TinShed

I have never been to either and the cold does not bother me. I will bring my 9 year old with so he may like Austin more. Is one show bigger? I also herd getting a hotel room is tough in Austin.

Tim

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Lone Star Round Up!!! I can't for the life of understand why someone would jump on a plane to go some where where there is snow on the ground...

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

No question, Roundup.

8. Ummm I'm from Detroit......I wanna go to Austin! Weather, cars, music,Mexican food....easy choice

9. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Round up, there's plenty of Hotels and places to stay in/around Austin. That shouldn't be a a problem

10. Mercchev

Mercchev

Been to both, Austin hands down. Lots more HAMB type cars, no snow, great food, great music. Definitely hit Detroit once to see it, but the kid will like Austin mo betta, IMHO.

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Been to both. From Detroit lived in LA for 12 years. I'll even throw in GNRS into the mix and I'd still pick Detroit Autorama. Longest continuous running show for Kustoms and Hot Rods. The basement adds a lot of hamb friendly cars. Plus while you're there tour all the closed factories and collect a piece from each.

12. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

For me it's Easy..... I'm going to both

13. I went to the lonestar in 09 would do it again in a minute. But the 34 hour drive alone whipped my ass .
    Detroit is an awesome show and there are a lot of hamb members that attend
    It's only 11 hours from New York plus I get to see my grandma too
    Austin is definitely warm
    Tough call good luck

using the mobile hamb app in the capital of the 51st state

14. TinShed

TinShed

It is looking like the Round up is better. It will probably work better with other family obligations.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a good hotel in Austin for Sat night? Would you recommend flying in and out of Dallas or Austin? The only reason to consider Dallas would be to stop by Gas Monkey Garage to check it out. Fast and Loud is my 9 year old's favorite TV show. He thinks Aaron and Richard are cool.

Tim

15. Hell...a month apart...do both if you can. This will be my 2nd time for Detroit, but the roundup is next!

16. Marcy

Marcy

Both are shows I never miss.

Marcy

17. Tim morrison

Tim morrison

:DThe ROUNDUP!! The only thing that I've been to that's better then the Roundup is speedweek-Bonneville. I've been to the round-up the last 5 years and rooms are easy to get.:cool:

18. Detroit, they'll shoot yer eye out, kid. Besides the night life, thousands of rods and customs, food and weather and chances of not getting mugged are not even comparable to Detroit!

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Detroit also has the Henry Ford museum. It has some pretty cool car related things plus jfk's assassination car trains ect . You could easily spend a few days there with a 9 year checking everything out.

20. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

21. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Mow-Town........your welcome!

22. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I agree Doc - once you go to the Roundup - you'll never want to miss another one!! Besides that it will be much warmer in Austin vs. Detroit!

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Hank Williams jr didn't write no songs about Motown women... enough said :rolleyes:

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Maybe Hank Jr didn't write a song about Motown but George Strait did write one saying Texas was only good enough for exes!

25. diamond dave

diamond dave

i do love me some texas. id hit the lsr if i was able to this year. but the autorama is gonna have to do for now. maybe next year for me.

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

If you want to come to Austin, better start looking for a room yesterday. Forget about getting one close to South Congress, and there aren't any close to the Expo Center (where the actual show is). Still worth it though. Come see Austin before they tear all the cool stuff down, get some real Tex-Mex, hear/see some great music.

27. krooser

krooser

I love both shows….BUT… you can't beat Texas weather in April. Plus the food, the music, the cars, the city, Tejas women… hands down Austin.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's not exactly what he said. ;)

All my exes live in Texas,
    And Texas is the place I'd really love to be.
    But all my exes live in Texas,
    And that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee.

29. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

The guy's from Jersey,, nuff said..:cool:

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

You missed on George Strait, and you also missed on your assertion about the "longest continuous running show" remark. Both the Grand National Roadster Show and the Sacramento custom car show are older (by two years), than the Detroit show. Maybe you'd be better off staying there in New Jersey ... :eek: