Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to decide if I should attempt a build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastmf, Feb 13, 2014.

2. trollst

trollst

I'm with Beaner, lower your expectations for your first build, as with all things, skills are acquired. Not to rain on anybodies parade, but building cars just isn't for some guys, I have a friend who literally cannot screw a nut and bolt together, he's spent way more than he has to, because he just doesn't get how shit goes together, try hard as he might.
    Start with something not too hard, so you don't become overwhelmed, I will do the chassis first, then I'll tackle the body, some do the opposite, usually the body stuff is the most spendy, and the reason a lot of guys give up. Understand that there will be points where you feel its not gonna happen, walk away, come back when your frame of mind is better, remember, saving, scrounging, horse trading is all part of building a car, plan on taking twice as long as you thought, and more costly than you thought. But, I'll tell you for sure, as you look at others work, good or poor as it may be, you too can do just as well. Don't forget to ask for help.

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Are you looking for something to work on, or to drive around? Is a long term build what you have in mind, because they can turn into that real fast. I would be looking for something easy to finish and get running.

4. Here are some numbers to maybe put some things into perspective. When I built my old touring I had a year and a half into it. I was working in a rodshop but all my time was done after hours and on weekend. I had started the car previously and scrapped all plans and started from scratch. That 18 months entailed 4-5 nights a week working from 5 to 10 or twelve and almost every weekend for about 10-16 hours. I did everything but the shortblock including paint and body. Are you ready to commit?

5. banditomerc

banditomerc

if you're going to do it,you better do it soon....you're running out of time...these projects usually take a few years to complete,when working on your own.

6. The fun is in building the project and everything you need to know is wrote down somewhere.
    I was a truck mechanic not a carpenter but I read a book and built a house, a project is a project. Dive in.

7. D-man313

D-man313

Go for it! I was in the same boat you're in now. I was 14, me and dad had never done any major work on a car. Just knew the general maintenance stuff. I wanted something different for a 1st car, so i bought an old truck. Never welded, built a motor, body work, paint. We didnt know how to do anything relating to doing a ground up build.

We got some help from some good friends, bought a welder, and just started practicing. Spend a lot of time here on the HAMB and learn a ton just by reading.

The main thing is, keep it fun, its a hobby. When its not fun anymore, thats when you get mad and give up on it. If something doesn't look right or is frustrating, take a break, ask here for help if you need to. Do it till its right and it will all be worth it when you take that first drive.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Find a photo of what you'd like your car to resemble. Live, eat and breathe it. Or.... blow this photo up, print it and tack to the wall. She has nothing to do with traditional hot rods, but she'll make you smile when you break something. her name is Cyrstal.

Attached Files:

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As many have said--go for it. Don't try to build something wild with major modifications and break it down in segments so it is not overwhelming--you can do it.
    I'm no wizard and have done 11 cars since 02. I farm out paint and uph and do the rest in my garage-about 5 months for a 40 Ford but I'm retired. Just make a good plan and stick to it-don't look at the latest greatest stuff and change your mind mid stream or you will not get anywhere.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Model As are by far the best thing to start with, but interior space is definitely limited. Find one to take a ride in if you can. I'm a 6'3 gorilla but with the interior built to fit me I still fit in a 4" chopped Model A coupe.

A buddy who turns wrenches for a living said something while building my first Model A that stuck with me that really stuck with me: "brakes, tires, and steering will kill you" and he's totally right. Make sure those things are safe. The chassis and welding are equally important and anything that I didn't feel 100% safe welding I asked a buddies who were certified welders to do. Sometimes that takes a bit of humility if you're one of those guys who can "do it all himself".

Once the foundation is solid the rest is really just perseverance. There's a ton of stillborn projects out there from dudes who couldn't "go the distance".

Other than that, rock on. It's fun and addictive as mentioned.

11. 1fastmf

1fastmf
    from Georgia

Wow, thought for sure there would be several negative responses so thanks for all the encouragement. I'm going to keep reading and looking. I'm 6' 3", so I'll definitely follow up on the cab space issue.

12. shadams

shadams

Based on your post, I'd say go for it. I too have been around cars a while but had never done anything like what I am doing now. Have never welded until I bought my welder. Seriously, if I can do it, you can too. And I am picky as hell, but seeing something you have done yourself, even if not perfect, is a great feeling...

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'm 6-2. Leg room was my only real issue

14. Then an A will be tight. You can save some room by getting rid of the angled toe board. It easts up a ton of foot room in a stocker. There have been some threads about this. Try searching toe board. I would also hit a big show and find some folks that will let you sit in theirs and try them out.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Go For It! It sounds like you have some basic skills, the rest you can learn as you go and sub out as needed.( Desire and $$$ can overcome any obstacle ) Try to hook up with some local Hot Rodders, go to shows, make some friends in the "Hobby", join a club. In my opinion, a complete build project has burned out many first time attempts. Again IMO, buying a roller with body mounted from a reputable Co. is a huge head start on a project or buy a project that somebody gave up on, BUT, take somebody with experience along, to make sure what you're buying is not just a bunch of junk, cobbled together. I suggest you have your budget set, invested hours idea and what your guess is, most likely it will double by the time you're going for that first ride. I have never met the man that kept on budget in my lifetime, must be one somewhere. I've been playing with cars for 50 years now and have great respect for the men that build everything from scratch, years of work, junk to gems, But the vast majority of people in the "Hobby" that I've know and have met in 50 years are not that guy. In no way am I trying to discourage you, just an "Old Timers" experience and opinions talking. Good Luck With your project and Enjoy the "Hobby" you will make many new friends, have tons of fun and never suffer from boredom or too much xtra cash. John

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Putting aside technical skills, nobody has mentioned motivation and project planning. A lot of projects start with a burst of energy and then it's downhill from there. A lot of work is tedious and seems to take forever and sometimes the "to do" list is so long that it can seem overwhelming. Sometimes expectations are unreasonable and budgets are poorly calculated. At first it's easy to say "I'm going to do this, that, and the other thing" but then it becomes "Oh shit, I have to do this, that, and the other".

Lots of guys get overwhelmed, distracted, bored, frustrated, etc. and the project never gets done (whatever done means). Then we see the unfinished projects for sale for a fraction of the money invested, or they sit for decades in a garage with the owner saying "some day I'm going to....".

If you really want to do this, then plan it well.

Personally, I like rolling projects. Something I can get running on the road and then fix it up in the off season a little bit each year.

17. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

If you have the time money and patience then go for it, try and find a car that needs metal work only in the floor that way you can practice and it doesn't much mater what it looks like its going to be coveted or find a old junk fender and practice on it make shure its nice and rusty
    And if you don't like it I'm shure you'll be able to sell the project on here so you can't loose unless you don't try

I learned everything I know by doing it no schools, I don't know everything and may have a few ?'s from time to time but most of the time I just wing it and some how it always turns out like I know what I'm doing
    Good luck

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  18. 1fastmf

1fastmf
    from Georgia

Thanks for the advise, I (think) I have a good understanding of jumping in over my head. Many years ago I bought a '67 Mustang in really bad shape, didn't know much about them. Made some progress and realized it was more than I had the time/money/skills to complete. Later, bought a 2nd one, this time knowing what to look for. So, I've been reading all the early Ford build threads to first learn before looking at anything.

19. Learn what you can by reading and asking questions. Acquire the tools you need as you go along, if you don't have them already. Research specific things ahead of time and then jump in. Ask questions as you go and remember that if you screw something up you can always fix it. The challenge sometimes is having the knowledge to know when something is screwed up. So, ask more questions.

You came to the right place and you seem to have the right attitude. Most HAMBers will be happy to help someone who is trying to learn and long as they have some humility and are not talking out their ass. I think you'll be okay. Go for it!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't feel bad about not knowing something. NOBODY is born knowing how to work on old cars. It's knowledge that's picked up along the way. It's sounds like you already have some mechanical experience so just keep building on that. If you might be thinking you're too old, I say BULLSHIT! Jump in. This is funner'n shit!

But be warned, this old car/hotrod thing is like a crack habit...and the HAMB is your dealer! :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Look around. I found a ton of Model A's on CL down your way. There's a mostly complete tudor project and a couple A rolling chassis that popped out at me.

Shop around and get an idea of what you want to build.

21. If you go with an unfinished project start with the best car you can find, it will make your life much easier and the build more enjoyable. Unlike the 1st Mustang you mentioned. Have fun.

22. If you are worried about being too tall for an old car/truck, just find one that doesn't have a top.Being in Georgia means there are a lot of top off days to drive it.:D