Register now to get rid of these ads!

FlexSeal for oil leaks WTF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ochamsrasor, Feb 12, 2014.

1. NOPSI

NOPSI

2. Muttley

Muttley

This thread has colossal failure and the makings of great comedy inside. We will need a YouTube video to document the implosion..................I'll ready the popcorn.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

All the OP is doing is passing along something that worked for him, just something we all do to try to help other members.......nothing wrong with that.

As for the FlexSeal, we sell a similar product at the marine store I work at, made by Rustoleum. I was putting a new motor in my daily driver and while it was out I put in a new AC system. The rubber cover Caddy puts over the AC evaporator cover was cracking and Cadillac wants $ 160 for the part. So I bought a can of the rubber Rustoleum stuff, masked off the firewall, and shot a heavy coat of it all over the cover. When it cured it looked just like the rest of the cover and it is holding up great.

I figured if it didn't work I was only out a few bucks for the can, and I would then go to the dealer and pick up the new cover, but it saved me a lot of money. I can see where it might be handy to carry one on long road trips for an emergency leak.......it might just get you home.

Don

4. You Guys...No wonder you're skeptical and leery of Flexseal.. You're using it for all the wrong applications.. Flexseal was not engineered to stop oil leaks,etc...
    It was specifically and carefully engineered to make a boat out of a screen door...
    Geez...Come on..

pat59 likes this.
  5. 73RR

73RR

...and all this time I thought that the art of hot-rodding included finding solutions for sometimes unusual needs...

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Typical HAMB gang mentality. Can't just read and digest the info, then pass on it, or use it. Instead attack the OP for giving a heads up on something.

7. It is good info for a wacky solution! Come on how many of us have used duct tape or zip ties as a bailout fix? I like the idea

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. and if sprayed carefully, will prevent S.T.D.s

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. No matter, it worked.

10. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

BB 427 , I agree 100% on what you said,and that is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post,but there are always some folks waiting to pounce on a comment made here,main reason I don't bother much anymore.
    I at first thought this was a place to try and help our fellow rodders,not have mental combat over a question or comment .
    And that's all I have to say bout that !

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

HA! HA! That's funny 33anda3rd...

12. More than our fair share of no it alls on this forum and we have to hear from them every time some one who (in their opinion) isn't a all knowing as them. Their knowledge and tips can be very helpful, but smart- ass statements only prevent some from asking or contributing to this forum. Just sayin'

13. choptop4

choptop4

What did there parents do to them ?

14. roughneck424

roughneck424

thanks for sharing. Never know when might need another good trick up the sleeve.
    I will never forget first time I saw the ole egg and a jar of pepper in the radiator trick get us home :)

15. porky55

porky55

I too want to use it as a undercoating and seam sealer. I am wondering if anyone else has tried it.

16. As long as it doesn't get sucked in and dissolve in the oil, I don't know why it wouldn't work, it may not last forever, but it will get you by.

17. sometimes, a repair, that is not "by the book" should not be criticized if they work.
    i put an old c-clamp on the back of the exhaust manifold of the 318 in my plow truck when a bolt broke to stop the leak, over 9 years and still working.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What ever gets you home.

19. JonAmoroso

JonAmoroso

Can Flex Seal Be used on an oil pan? I put it on but I’m not sure.... any help would be greatly appreciated

20. Deuces

Deuces

Try it then let us know the outcome....:)

21. desotot

desotot

BB, I did the same thing with a shop vac and silicon sealer. I used gasoline to clean it first and it didn't blow up the vacuum so in a jam I will do that again.

belair likes this.
  22. robracer1

robracer1

hate to change the subject, but! anyone ever try JB weld for oil leaks, I have a 50 ford with a stock 3 speed leaking a little at the case and tail shaft?

23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It might get you home some dark night.

One thing I have learned from seeing all the flex seal commercials thru the years? Do NOT loan that dude a boat.

SPark

slowmotion, robracer1 and blowby like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've used JB Weld on an oil pan before. It was a plow truck, and it was starting to snow. The oil pan was very rusty and a few of the rust holes were leaking. We drained the oil, sanded the sides of the pan, cleaned it with brake clean, and coated it with JB Weld. Then we set a heat lamp under it and went home for the evening. When we were ready to plow, we put the oil in the pan and plowed snow. That patch lasted 2 years before the truck fell apart.

I believe the trick is to get it clean so whatever your using has a chance to bond with the bare metal, then give it enough time to completely set up. I also suspect clean up for a "proper" fix will not be fun or easy. Gene

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

But wait ! Order now and get two cans by just adding shipping and handling. Maybe we can save money on gasket sets by just flex sealing all the surfaces and bolting them together.
    Seriously , good tip will try it in a pinch.

26. Still worried over that flamability factor.
    My 1999 Northstar V8 leaks at the separator plate something fierce, crossover pipe is close too.
    Will i go up in a ball of fire?

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a can of this on the shelf. Been there so long I don't remember where I got it, why I got it or if it worked.

Capture.JPG

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

What do you have to lose? The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't stop the leak. Might get you home some day.

Gary

29. ST62

ST62

I've also used a hylomar sealant in a pinch. Honda has an excellant product called Hondabond. It's actually a sealer for gasket-less surfaces such as valve covers.

30. rjones35

rjones35

Wonder how long it lasted?