Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead bolts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnc451, Feb 13, 2014.

1. johnc451

johnc451

I picked up a 51 flathead yesterday---very complete except for one head which was removed at least 4 years ago. 5 or 6 of the head bolts obviously snapped as it was removed. The other side was not attempted. I am planning to put the still installed head towards the floor and flood the block through the water jacket with rust penetrant. I searched the forum and found many comments about which mix works best but would like to see what other tricks you guys use to minimize breaking then drilling the bolts.
    Last time I messed with a flathead was 1960 and they were not all that rusty yet!!! Forgive me if I have not been paying attention---I am now. Thanks in advance---John

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

There's about a thousand threads here on broken head bolt removal.

3. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Google is your friend for removing broken bolts from Flathead v8

T

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey John, what I do is weld a washer to the broken bolt, and weld a nut to that, 9 outta 10 times the bolt will come right out, the heat plays a good part.
    As far as the other side, do like you said, role her on the head, and pore a solution in it.
    Id use a Molasses/water mix, let it sit for a couple weeks.

5. johnc451

johnc451

Thanks for the info----I probably should have asked straight out if heating the bolts was counter productive. My experience has been that sometimes they break right after you heat them. I suspect it depends on the nature of the bolt. From the input I am getting it sounds like a plus in this case.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Try using an air wrench to rattle them loose. Sometimes it works. I mean the ones that are not broken.