Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bags vs. coil springs in rear of 41 olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Feb 9, 2014.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I have a 1941 olds and the rear coil springs are just plain saggy. I would like the rear 3-4 inches higher . I'm considering putting in airbags in place of my coil springs and hooking them up the same as air shocks. Has anybody had any problems doing this? Also with airbags do I need shocks? FYI I have replaced the old lever shocks with piston shocks but no room for coil overs.

2. olds vroom

olds vroom

3. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

I was having similar problems with my 62 Buick special. Coil springs sagging, needed about 2-3 " in height. In stead of replacing the springs I bought AIRLIFT air bags to go inside of the coil spring. AIRLIFT does not have a bag made for my car(or yours either) but I bought their universal bag(about 3" or 31/2" dia.) Had to remove the spring to get the bag to go inside the coil, but it worked real good. I think Summit had them.

Norm

4. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

By the way, YES you do need shocks with the AIRLIFT bags

Norm

5. olds vroom

olds vroom

I tried that last year but it didn't seem to do anything for me

6. olds vroom

olds vroom

7. olds vroom

olds vroom

8. Curt Six

Curt Six

I have a 1941 Buick. I've never looked under a '41 Olds, but I would guess they are similar chassis. My rear coil springs were about 7" in diameter, and I replaced them with Airlift D2500 airbags (part number 58343). They fit right into the spring pocket, and no other modifications were needed except making the mounting plates, which is simple. I run a small tank and compressor right above them in the tool kit well just behind the back seat. I am still running the lever shocks (and yes, you do need shocks with airbags as someone else already said).
    Curt

9. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thanks curt six do need a tank and compressor ? I was planning on just running airlines back to the bumper like air shocks is that a bad idea?

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

11. olds vroom

olds vroom

Does anybody have any instructions on how to do this?

12. gold03

gold03

Hey Vroom, shoot some pictures and let us wee what you are working on. Most guys here frown on air bags.;)

13. olds vroom

olds vroom

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392340222.515659.jpg im not wild about airbags either but I'm looking at all my options I've already tried the balloons that go in the springs but didn't like the results.

14. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's what I did on my 49, your 41 should be similar.

Attached Files:

15. Curt Six

Curt Six

The photo above is similar to my set up on my Buick. If your Olds is the same (rear coil springs/trailing arm-style suspension), you can do a little measuring to make sure the bags will fit in place of the coils. Then you drill a few holes to run the air lines directly above the bags to the compressor (and tank) in the trunk.

I suppose you could run just off of the compressor without a tank, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. A small tank will hold enough air to add some air when you get in and out of tight spots. It all depends on how you want to use the suspension.

My car has coil springs in front and airbags in the rear. I have the bags set up so that the car sits at the same height when I'm driving, parked, whatever. I just add a little air if I've got a couple people riding in the back seat or if I need to raise the rear to avoid ripping my bumper off (like getting in my steep driveway). Here's a shot of how it sits. Anyone who wants to "frown on it" can be my guest :)

Attached Files:

16. bako48

bako48

Run a 2500. Bag and just standard tube shocks. You can run the bags on Schrader valves. They look like ones yo air up tires. Just fill it where your happy and leave it.its just really what's your budget.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thanks Bako 48. That's most of what I wanted to know

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No we don't, newbie.:eek:

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All you need do is figure out the distance between the spring pockets, when the car is as low as you would ever want it to go on suspension compression. In this case, probably the stock bump stops.

take that measurement, and subtract out the compressed height of whatever bag that you plan to use. The remainder is the height that you need to make up in the mounts.

These "bag cups" serve two purposes. In addition to filling up the extra space, they also mimic the shape of the end of the original coil spring, allowing the whole assembly to fit in where the coil was.

Setups vary from vehicle to vehicle, but should end up looking something like this:
    [​IMG]
    How you get air into them is up to you. Mild(Schrader valves, single or separate, with separate providing more body roll control over a single), to wild(compressors, tank, solenoids, switches, self-leveling, etc.)

And yes, shocks are a must. A good, gas charged tube shock will work wonders.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly, the '41 Olds has rear coil springs that are full diameter at the top, and are pigtailed at the bottom (post-war they were, and I think that they were pre-war).

If that is the case, the tube on the top cup would need to be made to match the full diameter of the spring, and the lower, much smaller, for that diameter.

You can buy the plates for these cups, pre-made, from any number of vendors.

For example: http://thorbros.com/catalog/bag-brackets/circle-plates

The rest is tube. There are several online suppliers that can provide short lengths of DOM tubing, in the proper diameter and thickness for what you would need.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=rndtube&LimAcc=%20&aident=
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=283&step=2&top_cat=197
    http://thorbros.com/catalog/steel-tubing

Or you can source it locally, if you have a supplier that can offer short lengths.

Some shops use Schedule-40 pipe, but I prefer 1/8" wall DOM, for full-diameter cups, and thicker, by up to double, for pigtailed-end cups.

21. stimpy

stimpy

one thing about using airbags and why you should use a compressor , never drive on them empty , it destroys the bag sides they are ment to have some air in them when they are empty they can pinch the material or cause rubbing and make holes , if anything carry a little portable one in the car and also put a gauge on the hoses to see how much pressure is in them .

22. olds vroom

olds vroom

Are there any bags I should stay away from?

23. Curt Six

Curt Six

Maybe these...

Attached Files:

24. Curt Six

Curt Six

Just kidding. Don't know what to tell you to stay away from. My experience has been good with the bags from Air Lift. I think any of the major companies will have a good product.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything without a recognizable brand name.

I have installed over a hundred bags from Slam Specialties. I like them because they have an internal bump stop, and don't balloon at all. I like the SS series. You should be good with an SS-7.

26. Merc0Matic

Merc0Matic
    from california

Has anybody had any experience with the firestone ride rite helper spring kits? Are they good or bad? I know nothing about them but I'm thinking about using them along with my leaf springs for my 52' mercury

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. rtp

rtp

On my 48 I needed to lift it 3" used springs from early 70 chevy wagon . Bolt in . Napa has them,you may have to order them. bolts in stock bolts and cups.No lines or tanks. always readyto go .