Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rat nasty

rat nasty

dang! nice work is a real understatement! but i dont know what else to say!
    later "Tadd"

2. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got a bit more work done on the car last night. I was able to get the other window frame cut out and tacked in for the driver side. Then I made 2 long cuts into the rear sail pannel from the out side edge to just above the rear window opening. This way I'll be able to push the back of the roof forward to hopefully get rid of that "big booty" look it was suffering from when I frist mocked it on their.

This is what it looks like all clamped into place.

I used that round rod template that I took off my friends stock roof, and compared it to my newly per-portioned roof line and it was pretty close. Mine is pushed forward about an inch more than stock. I think it looks a little better like that.

Brad

Attached Files:

3. I'm just watching this one and enjoying seeing come together. Taking notes too.
    Thanks for posting the progress and sharing brad.

I think I would make the B pillar the right height before monkeying around and eyeballing proportions. It's like playing connect the dots when there is a fly pretending to be a dot. You get close and the fucking thing will move. Maybe you have your line and then wonder why that dot isn't on your pretty line any more. I don't know, I'm just guessing. I haven't done what you are doing but I've fixed a few screwed up chops and it was damn near impossible to line shit up with a high spot in the middle.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Big improvement there. It'd be tempting to dial the roof in and leave it stock height if it were me.

5. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

31vickeywithahemi

I don't think It will be an issue Tacking it all together with the B pillars being 3/4" taller than a stock 5w. It's not just the B pillas that are taller, the whole roof is 3/4" taller. As long as it's all square and even it should be no big deal, just take an extra 3/4" out when I chop it. At least I hope it will work like that.

6. I haven't been able to have a coupe door and a 4dr door next to each other.
    But I do have a 34 5 window here.

Remember I'm taking notes. :)
    So the curve in the door at windshield isn't following that line to the 3/4" high spot along with the top of the door frame ? The slope of the roof from windshield to b pillar isn't also following a line to the 3/4" high spot? The 1/4 windows aren't 3/4" too tall for a coupe?

Then on the way back down to the deck lid- its not starting from a spot 3/4" too high and following that slope?

Now when you get it sort of close and like it. you'll chop it lets say 4". You will take 4" from the a pillar, 4-3/4 from the B pillar and 4" from the rear. But won't that give you a 3/4 low spot from your " sort of close and like it" position?

I'm picturing an entire coupe roof set on there. Matched at the windshield, sitting on the 3/4" too tall
    B pillar, sloped too far up towards the rear and my mind sees a 3" gap at the rear roof belt line. Or if roof matched at the rear , the sail panel and rear window would be leaning too far to the rear, the roof would be running uphill to the front, touching the B pillar and then being 3" away from meeting at the windshield.

My mind plays tricks on my though. Sometimes I can outsmart myself lol.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. budd

budd

my understanding is the roof at the A pillar is the same height for a 5 window and a 4 door, but the B pillar is 3/4" taller, having talked to a couple of guys about using 4 door doors on a 5 window i think the window frame where it meets the roof at the front has to be notched as well as removing the 3/4" at the rear, that will give you the correct angle between the front window frame and roof.

ls1yj likes this.
  8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Brad,
    without a doubt, this is the best looking 34 4dr I have seen lately.....LOL

9. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

31vickeywithahemi

I don't know if you noticed but when I was doing the quarter windows I had to leave a 3/4" strip out to raise them up to correspond with the taller B pillar. The relationship between the B pillar and A pillar looks good to me the way it is.

I think that was the missing bit of info for ya. You can see it here.

Attached Files:

10. Nice job turning that 'Old Fat Fourdoor Dude' into a 'Sassy 5-Window Bitch' - the gender reassignment seems to be working!

Now if you can just get rid of the 'Adams Apple' B-Post bulge . . . you'll be good to go - I'd recommend finding out who 'Bruce Jenner's' surgeon was. (just kidding yah)

The good news is that your 5-window will look a hell of alot better after surgery than ole' Brucie . . . fricking whacko that he is! :eek:

B&S

ls1yj likes this.
  11. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Just read through this whole thing, awesome build. Looking foward to seeing more.

12. alchemy

alchemy

That extra 3/4 inch in the B pillar sure gives it an Australian look. It will all disappear when you chop it though.

My Dad did a chopped 5-window decades ago that required cutting the surround away from the quarter window molding, like you did. He was able to get a nicer shaped quarter window and avoid the squished look that some guys get. By fiddling with the window separate from the roof you can adjust it til it's perfect.

13. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Alchemy

That Is my exact plan. I hope it works!

Brad

14. 33Tudor

33Tudor

I'm wondering if this same "operation" can be done to a car that has already been chopped?

Attached Files:

29EHV8 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  15. hemiboy

hemiboy

Man, that's a very cool Fordoor!!

29EHV8 likes this.
  16. that car is to cool as it is the family custom

29EHV8 likes this.
  17. raven

raven

With the roof a little taller, it's looking like a 33 Willys. If you left it like that, it would certainly make a lot of people wonder about it, in a nice way.
    Good job.
    r

18. I don't see any reason why not - it is all about having the 'rear clip' of a coupe to work from. Finding that may be a bitch! I don't know if SAR can sell all the pieces - worth checking out.

19. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Raven

Sory fella. If I left the roof 3/4" taller than stock I'd have to punch my self in the dick. And If i didn't my buddys would. lol

No bad ideas though just not my style:)

Brad

20. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

That chopped 4 door is rad!

29EHV8 likes this.
  21. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That's all available aftermarket! Xman has/had some quarters for sale in the classifieds too.

3blap.

22. rat nasty

rat nasty

the more door is kool but id say you could do it if u want it bad enough but u gotta want it! I know flatnasty does wow on the progress! yup dont worry bout the tall center just put the Ol' eagle eye on it when you give it that wig split! I cant wait to see that!

23. mauler rich

mauler rich

Love what your doin the your ride man makes what I've been tryin to do with my 33/34 4 door look easy I'm tryin to make a two door out of a 4 door. Cant wait to see it when your done. Keep up the good work ill def keep checkin it out.

24. 392modela

392modela

Hopefully you made it out in the shop today and more updates are coming

25. Watching what some Hambers can do makes me feel inadequate.

I look forward to your updates!

FlatJan likes this.
  26. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I was able to get some more done on the car this weekend. I messed around with the rear part of that roof for a while more. I must have had that thing on and off 3 to 4 hundred times it felt like. It's all tacked on now. I also made the 2 filler patches to repair where I sliced it to get it to pull forward. I cut the area out way bigger and made a patch that would blend the transition. It would have been nice to use a plenishing hammer for this but all i have is a regular hammer, the palm of my hand and my knee. Which worked, and it looks ok too. Next I'm gonna get to work on the rotten quarter panels/wheel wells.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Pufff and Outback like this.
  27. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

damn that looks so good, your doing a great job..
    thanks for taking the time to post..

28. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got a bit more work done on the car the last couple nights. Now that the roof is all tacked up and secure I'm going to tackle the quarter pannels and get the wheel wells patched up. I'm going to be using the wheel wells off the 4 dr rear clip. The 4dr ones are much deeper so they will need to be narrowed. I got the 4dr wheel well cut out and I ruff cut the one off the car. Next I'll get going on the narrowing and get her all tacked in.

Brad

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Nailhead A-V8 and Pufff like this.
  29. ff1930

ff1930
    from lapeer

Keep up the good work. I think that is looking great.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. schoum

schoum
    from france

nice project!