Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving from Ohio to Kentucky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1badbaker, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Well after much deliberation with the family I decided to take a move/promotion to a different position with Goodyear. I'm up rooting my family from the Akron, Ohio area and moving to Louisville, Ky area. We are in the early stages of house hunting, or as I say garage hunting. I do have about 8 cars that will be transported to that area with Ohio titles, Is there anybody in hamb land that can share any tips on Kentucky DMV? Thanks in advance for any tips or advise.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've never had a problem with the Kentucky DMV and have never been hassled by the PD about my old cars or YOM tags. I'd have to say Kentucky is pretty much old car friendly. Cars coming into Kentucky from out of state need to have the Vin #'s verified by the Sheriff's Department along with a check of lights, horn and windshield wipers before they can be registered. Your best bet is to apply for Historic tags which are a one time issue and minimal tax each year. There's no charge for YOM tags just a 25 year old requirement. If I were to recommend house hunting it would be the east end of Louisville only. Any questions let me know. Kentucky is a good place. Green, treed and rolling hills. Lots of old car activity.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Is this post a joke. Moving to Kentucky with 8 cars.

4. charlieb66

charlieb66

I hear Kentucky is prone to sink holes.

5. Retro61

Retro61

Why do you think that's a Joke?

6. Look up "out of state inspections" for Kentucky, they have rules now that make it some what difficult to get an older car inspected. Wiper, all lights, glass. they use to only check vin numbers not any more. the outlying county's are a little less but Jefferson county is a pain.
    It all should be on the state sheriffs web site.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Likely an obscure reference to the sinkhole at the Corvette museum in KY, where 8 cars went down.

8. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I live in Louisville, great city for anything and everything but especially for cars. The Dixie Hwy branch is a little more lenient on what passes on state inspections. The Outer Loop branch won't pass you if you have a tiny crack in a window. I've had dozens of cars inspected. PM me whenever you want, I'll give you the lowdown on everything you want to know. And the above post was right about living in the east end if possible but there are great areas in every end of our city. BTW Louisville is NOT a joke!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. I was born and raised in Louisville, and it's a great town. Lots of stuff to do, and lots of car stuff as well. The East End has always been the more upscale part of town, and it's nice there, but it is more expensive. The West End was always known as the 'Hood, and that's where my Dad was born and raised, and it now caters to certain ethnic groups. The North End (they don't call it that), is essentially downtown, and the Ohio River is the most northern border. The South End (Iroquois Park area) is where we were from. The farther you go South, the better it gets, that is if you like larger property, woods, and a laid back atmosphere. They have a pretty nice freeway system, so if you decide to live on the outer edges of the metro area, you're still not out in the boonies.

Hope you like college basketball. They live and breathe that stuff back there. It's awesome!

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

lucky guy, your getting out of ohio

11. tradrod

tradrod

Couldn't have said it better :D

12. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

you can also live in surrounding counties and commute to work. Shelbyville is a good place and Frankfort is about a 45 min. drive but cheaper on most everything housing wise. You will enjoy the car activities around. Check out the KY group for local show and event posting.

13. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Well thanks for all the info, some said Shelbyville and that's actually where we are looking at. We are leaving about 3 acres and lots of garage space, so land and garages are a must. And yes 8 cars and I posted this before I heard about the sink hole. Thank you for info on the inspections as well, as a few of cars do not have wipers so I need to figure that one out.

14. 1badbaker

1badbaker

No joke, and still moving to Kentucky with 8 cars:). I just walked outside and there still above ground.

15. 1badbaker

1badbaker

I'll have you call my wife and tell her that.:rolleyes:

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You never know what to expect on the HAMB. Hope all goes well.

17. It would sure be helpful if you could lease a place for a while. There are many options and not an easy decision. You may have an easier time with all the cars/inspection in a surrounding county. Tim

18. I used to live in Louisville, basically take from downtown and as you go from west counterclockwise around until north east and the housing quality, income levels, and safety improves as you go around.

Lived outside Lexington in small town of Paris, KY also. Nice small town surrounded by the huge horse racing farms. I would go back to that area for retirement.

All of KY was pretty good for cars and activities. Used to have a drag race car that I ran mostly at Ohio Valley raceway south of Louisville, just over the county line on Dixie Hwy.

The current KY guys know better what the requirements are for registration, used to be pretty easy with just VIN check. I used to drive my drag car on the street, put vintage plates on it, with insurance through my classic car policy. Full back-half ladder bars, 14x32 slicks, had barely mufflers on it. Full fiberglass front end and doors, no wipers, no headlights or turn signals, no wipers, no horn, full lexan windows. I did have brake lights. Never had any problems with cops, some even gave wave and thumbs up!

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

and besides all the above, they have a pretty good little car show up there around the 1st of August,or so I have been told. good luck on the move,thats a pretty big move.

20. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Let me muddy the water. I got more acreage for my money on the indiana side of the river. I moved to the Louisville area in 1984 to work for UPS and first located in jeffersontown. I quickly tired of sub division life and went looking for a gentleman farm. The horsey people at the time were keeping the price of five to ten acre places up so I went looking on the indiana side. Been here for 24 years. I'm from kansas city so I was always amused at the division of people by a river. Louisville folks think indiana folks are dumbasses and vice versa. I'm sure a hardcore Louisville guy will step up to kick my ball sack for my opinion. I love the beatersville car show every fall. Good luck in your move.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  21. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Degenerate...water is muddied...and balls are kicked. Lol Y'all come over just to take our jobs and try to marry our women. Haha

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

The worst part of living in southern Indiana is the traffic crossing the Ohio river into Kenucky.

23. lawman

lawman

You will love the "Beatersville" show !!!! LOL

24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Welcome to KY, Lexington is better, but Louisville is nice too:) the East end is nice or if you dont mind a little drive go towards Shelbyville or Bardstown area. Nice areas car friendly, cheaper housing and land, less taxes and easier classic car inspections. Good luck with move.....Go Cats!

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Great cruise scene around KY. Somerset every month from April to October, Boonesborough Boogie I October, beatersville, Dillehay in Danville around Labor Day Keeneland Concourse etc etc etc. Also the Mamonth Cave/Vette Museum is pretty cool.

26. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Thanks for all the great info on the shows.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has the best car show and non stop nostalgia drag racing there is with covered seats not bleachers. Bowling Green, KY. NHRA Hot Rod Reunion, June 12-14, 2014. Just make your hotel reservations now. Every hotel in Bowling Green fills up quickly.
    Then the NSRA Nats in Louisville July31 - August 3, 2014.

28. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

The Bowling Green show is incredible and the Street Rod Nationals is great too