Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Merc Chop by Matthewsgarage

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jan 26, 2014.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's a pic of the repop 51 glass with no bubble that Carson in California makes. His number is 951-789-8870

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392075841.841501.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Oh my I need to eyeball my car when I get home, that looks good.

3. I love to see the `51 window used, but it sure does seem like it´s easy to get it wrong, as per a couple of the pictures here.

4. desotot

desotot

Well that does work doesn't it.

5. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I thought I read or heard that California built cars had a flatter, less bubble-shaped rear window for the '50 model. Maybe that's also the case for the '51?

Juke Joint Johnny should chime in here...

6. I always thought 4 door windows had a little more of a bubble but it might of been someone just saying their opinion again.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I remember reading there was a difference between the 2 door and 4 door windows also. Can't recall which way they went, but I believe I read it here, somewhere, and I make no claim to being an expert.

8. banditomerc

banditomerc

1951 Mercs are my choice.Specifically because of the back glass.,andthat is exactly what i heard from a buddy who has also messed with '51 Mercs (75+).I myself have had my share of '51's,and i have had cars with both flat and bubbled rear windows...factory glass at that.

9. my father did talk to Carson. the name of his shop is street rod glass co. 951 789 8870
    he does have the flatter glass you see in Jerry's picture. I think he has them made for
    him. I think he told my dad they cost 395.00 plus shipping. They are not made in a
    mold . he said the glass is heated and run through a slip roller. IT is not hard glass
    like they were, it is the same as a windshield is made. It is laminated glass an you
    must be a little careful putting it in.

10. We could really use some authoritative figures in the world of mercurys to chime in here and share some of their great knowledge with everyone.

11. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

that's the worst pic I could get. It's a 51 I shipped years ago to my friend in Germany.
    The Merc was build in SoCal, they flipped the rear glass upside down, works really good. I need to get a better profile shot from him.

Attached Files:

12. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

OK, Bob…your turn.:D

13. You know, Jeff, I have kinda wondered the same thing. The 4drs seem to have more lift in the roof just before the back window, I guess for more head room. So, it would make sense that the 4dr windows might have more bubble to them too. I have thought from time to time it would be interesting to compare profile shots and see if that plays out, but have yet to take the time to do it.

14. desotot

desotot

the NAGS # for both the 51 2 door and 4 door is B227, they are the same, I don't have any experience with the 51 but on the 50 I had two different windows in two different mercs and one was slightly bubbly and one was very bubbly. An after market flatter window for the 51 would be a good cure. If one was available for the 49/50 window hole I would prefer that to the three piece cause they are kind of busy looking.

15. desotot

desotot

I think we kinda hijacked this thread, I went back to the op andthis does look good.

[​IMG]

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Tudors or 4 doors are all the same glass. Most 50 or 51's backlite all have the bubble to them. I have a 50 glass that's pretty flat compared to most that I saved just for this reason. I haven't come across a flat 51 yet but pretty sure there are some out there. My guess is maybe there were a couple different manufactures with not exactly the same molds. I took the pic of Joe Figgs back window to ask my friend Carson about it. When he looked at the LOF # he said it was a new laminated repop.

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Think that was my friend Joes old 51. I have some pics somewhere

18. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

yes I bought the car from Joe in Riverside Hemet area. The car is kept 100% traditional with rebuild flathead. I need to get pics from the side with the window. It was a great idea to put it upside down people never believe.

19. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Very interesting. I'm subscribed.

20. Not a repop.
    1392154318916.jpg

21. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Dick Dean sure knew how to lay em down...

22. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Matt..heres Joes old 51! its in Germany, and i took this pic of it, with mine in the background, when he visited Denmark some years back ! its out of the box thinking for sure..and not that bad at all!

-palle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  23. I kinda like it based on the pics I have seen.

I got all the parts to do this when I pull my window back out:

[​IMG]

24. so it is Fri. night lots of snow and a few drinks but we are back at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Very nice.. Keep the pics coming... Been trying to find my pic of the repop part # for the 51 back glass but no luck. Great work

26. palle, did you take that pic down of the merc with the reversed rear window ?? i wanted to show it to somebody.

27. 29tudor

29tudor

pro stock john- BEAUTIFUL car man!!!

28. that rear shot i posted is not my car but I plan to do the same rear window stainless. That's Rudy Rodriguez's old Merc.

29. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Tom...I hope the picture shows now. dont know what went wrong!

-palle

30. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here is a pic of the Merc with the window flipped..Ignore the girl, it was either her or no good side pic:rolleyes:. You can get them to flow ok this way. but they always look odd to me, how the they meet the trunk. Here is another pic of one from a show..

Palle pretty sure i know the pic, I believe i saw it while looking at some of your pics one time and thats how we started talking!!

Attached Files: