Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New to pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratrodchev, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ratrodchev

ratrodchev
    from idaho

I'm thinking about trying out some pinstriping. What all would i need to purchase to get started? Any tips on getting started? I've asked around for advice but all i get told is that i need to get some brushes, but I'm just not sure what ones i need. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. slammed

slammed

3. I use this to pinstripe wheels.
    With a line of tape you can do long stripes.
    It saves gaining 3-4 years of experiance in hand stripping.

Attached Files:

4. luke13

luke13

not all brushes are created equal, i tryed a few different types , tiil i found the ones i liked, sometimes trimming them little helps alot. also try and find some old sign writers correspondance course hard covered books/manuals, as they have lots of usefull tips and exersizes and methods youd never figure out on your own.

5. get Alan Johnson's book "How to pinstripe", lots of useful info. At the start of the book he give you a few practice exercises, do all of them until you go mad from boredom then do a few more. I practice on a sheet of plexiglass with a grid taped out on the back (just wipe the paint off while still wet), mix a spray bottle full of a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water, spray the plexi down and wipe dry in one sweep with a microfibre cloth before striping (this will get rid of the static, it does crazy shit if you don't).

and from Ed Roths book "buy a gallon of white oneshot and practice until it's empty, If you don't get to the bottom of the can, you were never going to make it anyway"

6. And keep your day job.

7. ^^^^that too^^^^

sent via classroom note. pass it on

8. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I tried it for awhile, and actually got pretty good at pulling lines, but when I went to do some free lance designs, I discovered I had no artistic talent. The only real advice I can give is to find and practice the 100 strokes practice grid, get a piece of glass about 12x12 inches so you can just wipe it off, and use your wife's glossy magazines to load your brush up.

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

I took a class last October from a Pinstriper Named "Hetz" and it was very helpful. The two main things I learned were the differences in brushes and paleting the brush. I will upload a picture of two Mack brushes, the green wire wrapped one is what you will usually find at most autobody supply stores. The blue wire wrapped is what most stripers use and is what you can usually buy from Dick Blick. the difference is the quality of the hair. As you can see they are different sizes which is denoted by the "0" on the handle. the green wire wrapped is an "0" and the blue one is a "000". Hetz also gave us 10 practice moves and you will find the practice moves are used on some form in all designs. Once you get the practice moves down you will find it easier to come up with some intersting design. but for know I would find a simple design you lika and as it was said earlier practice practice! I will also upload some practice stuff of mine. Have fun

Attached Files:

10. Mfjohnsonn

Mfjohnsonn

I started last summer something I've wanted to do also. I bought a few brushes a local striper recommended and a kafka striping kit. The kit has patterns and practice sheets, clear vinyl sheets, grid layout and DVD. The DVD is useless he is only selling you his products. I found more instruction videos on you tube. I also got brush oil and a set of small one shot paints from amazon. Oil is to keep you brushes good since you spent the money on them. Also stabilo pencils to draw out patterns paint right over it.
    Started with straight lines basic curves and just draw things out and practice and experiment. Need to find what works for you. Hard to make one side the same. Did learn if you make something on left first do the same on the other side right after. Assuming your right handed. Left then right. Starting with something drawn out using the stabilo is great can see your design first add more as you go. It's fun and sometime aggravating. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392349411.130550.jpg

11. Mfjohnsonn

Mfjohnsonn

Here is a few of my first practices. Did a lot of straight lines and basic curves tracing over designs supplied in the kit. I'll post some of the sheets when I can get to my shop. Still snowing out tonight here in Ma. If you would like some of the tracing sheets I can scan and email you a few. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392349776.466843.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392349785.371152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392349798.654628.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392349817.420496.jpg

12. 1oldracer

1oldracer

Get a 10 series, blue wrap, #000 Mack brush, One- Shot paint, a Quart of Mineral Spirits, a can of Penetrol and some thing to practice on, glass, Plex, and painted metal panel. The Mineral Spirits is ONLY for cleaning brushes, DO NOT use it to thin One-Shot. Get three jars or cans, put the Spirts in them and use one to clean brush with paint in it, then clean it in the second can and then in the last can. This way you will have dirty, semi dirty and clean spirits to get all the paint from the brush. They to store your brush oil it with brush oil, veg. oil, trans fluid or 30w non detregent motor oil and lay it flat.

Use the Penetrol to thin the paint and make it flow nice. Get a small cup, can or shot glass put some well mixed paint in it. Then add drops of Penetrol and mix well. You are going to have to try different amount of Penetrol until you find how thin the paint is for you, there is no standard mix of Penetrol to paint. If you get it to thin you can always add more paint to get it thicker. You will finr a mix you will like.

Then just start pulling lines, I suggest straight lines first, when you are able to lay down a even thickest line, then try doing curves.

You cannot practice too much. Also I would suggest practicing 1/2 to 1 hour every day rather than practicing 4 to 8 hours one day then wait a week or two before you practice again. If you wait to long between practices, it will take you awhile just to get back to where you were the last time. Remember what you are doing when practicing is training your hand and brain to work together to paint a nice lins.

If you have any question now or later to can PM me anytime.

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I would agree that Allan Johnson has a very good book out on learning to do Pinstripping.

Also check out U-Tube for some real inspiration and you will also find many great pinstrippers doing their thing.

Just remember it took years to learn and figure out how to make money doing it.

Here is a link that will really help learn but please do not get discouraged when you see what some of these very talented people can do with a brush.

Best of luck Jimbo

http://www.autoartmagazine.com/

[​IMG]

14. Mfjohnsonn

Mfjohnsonn

It's great there are so many with info and help. I looked for places to take a class and have someone to tech me. Not too many in New England that inhale found willing to take on a apprentice. Too many in it for the money rather than the art and skill. Anyway great info on here and I wasn't even looking specifically for it.

15. Airwolf

Airwolf

I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa in 1975 - about the time when custom vans were the craze. Found a striper living on a boat who used a carport attached to a gas station to work out of. Asked if he would mind teaching me to stripe. Not a problem, cost me a case of Old Milwaukee and a carton of Lucky Strikes a week, less than 10 bucks on base. He had an old van and the first things he taught me was to properly load the brush and lay out straight lines using the body lines of the van as a guide. Then he gave me a washing machine lid to practice designs on. No copying anyone elses, no grids, no stabilo pencil lines. Spent over a year with this guy whenever I had the time, and not once did I touch a customers car.

Now, the hand isn't quite as steady and doing the long straight lines was getting tougher. Got a roll of magnetic tape from Grainger to give me a good guide for the long lines. Works great.

16. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Practice!!!!!!

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

Wow That's cool !

18. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Practice............did I mention practice............yes..lots of practice.............and then when you get through, practice......and when you have a few extra minutes to waste.....PRACTICE!............THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR...."PRACTICE"

19. neils

neils
    from lyons oh

Go to Todd Hanson's page. hansondidit.com He has a great book & brushes he sells. He is a friend of mine. My 47 Chevy is in the book. He is a super guy & he will talk to you.

20. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

I agree, and keep your day job

21. ratrodchev

ratrodchev
    from idaho

Thanks for all the tips! Does anyone know of a good quality kit i could purchase that comes with everything i will need?

22. M.Balachandran

M.Balachandran

Hi
    Am bala from India, i would like to learn pinstripe can you please send some of the basic tip to start my basic lesson.
    thanks in advance my mail ID is [email protected].
    -bala

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms in India....There just might be hope for the world yet.:)

Scott

24. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

25. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I just started doing it myself, and bought 6 Mack brushes on amazon for $50, and 5 cans of Oneshot for the same price. I spend about a half hour most nights, before I shut the garage down. Like I have been told I will tell you, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, then repeat. Good luck.

M.Balachandran likes this.
  26. M.Balachandran

M.Balachandran

27. M.Balachandran

M.Balachandran

i cant able to find a good brush to pratice..il a got a small brush but it doesn't work out...i trying with that small one but my bad its not a straight line..very bad

28. M.Balachandran

M.Balachandran

anybody please suggest tip to handle the brush with out shake