Register now to get rid of these ads!

Split windshield in a 54 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danny2010, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Danny2010

Danny2010

I currently have a 1954 Chevy Pickup, it has the one piece windshield but I wanna put the 2 piece in. Can this be done and is there anything special that will be needed.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A different cab. The roof, windshield surround, cowl and dashboard are all different.

3. raven

raven

Change the cab.
    Or, buy one with a split windshield and change the front clip...
    r

4. I would trade you, I'm sure other people would too

5. You are nuts. I've got a 51 and a 54' , the cyclops is way cooler! ...and there are way fewer of em.

6. verde742

verde742

nuthin' neater than the later cab, with early grille.

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Are you nuts???
    The split windshield looks perfect on a AD truck. And to the O.P: A split window conversion on your 54 is a pipe dream.

8. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

I have a 50 with a 54 nose and bed, I like the split windshield and dash from the 50! Good luck, Lucky

9. Danny2010

Danny2010

Ok just an update, as I figured I would get all kinds of responses. I took the truck over to the glass shop the other day after posting. They took the old one piece windshield out and I left the truck there for them to cut out 2 new pieces of glass to make a new 2 piece windshield to fit the truck. I got the truck back this morning with the the 2 windshields installed with the center stainless divider. Now time to install the Fulton Visor I have. Thanks for all the comments.

10. ...we gotta see pics of this....?

11. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

pics would be nice

12. Did they cut your windshield in half? We all want to know how they installed two flat pieces of glass in a curved frame.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

With lots and lots of RTV.

14. Danny2010

Danny2010

When asked they said the took a glass that had the correct curve from another vehicle (this is a warehouse that has lots of windshields in stock) cut it down and shaved it to fit. I am happy with how it looks and will post pics as soon as I get it trailer ed back home.

15. Ok, I'm still puzzled. Why would they take a windshield from something else and make it fit when you already had a windshield that fit? I'm just trying to understand their process.
    Is it possible they just cut yours in half and they just told you that.

16. Danny2010

Danny2010

No I told them that I wanted to keep my current windshield and not to cut it. I wanted to save it for future use and if there was any issues with the current modification.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

pics please or it didn't happen.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, the took an effective duplicate, cut it in half, and installed a division bar? Seems like a ton of work to add a piece of random trim, but it is your ride....

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did you do this just so you could install the visor? I think we are all confused.

20. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Wow! I gotta see this....

21. Danny2010

Danny2010

To see such negativity and doubt come from a simple post to get some info is quite funny. As I stated in an earlier post, I would post pics as soon as I was back home. Or maybe now I can simply say it didn't happen and not appease you. Either way it doesn't matter to me, my truck a 54 now has a 2 piece windshield.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looking at your previous posts you should have mentioned you were doing this to install your visor made for 2 piece windshields. it would have been much cheaper and easier to make a bracket that supports it in the middle than to change the windshield. your other post even had pictures of the bracket Fulton made just for this scenario..

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This place never ceases to amaze me..........:eek::rolleyes::cool::D

Truly, a microcosm of the world of human nature.

24. the-rodster

the-rodster

At first thought, it sounds like it would look like shit.

But, 49 Olds had two piece curved glass.

I'll reserve judgement until we see pics.

Rich

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It isn't that it will look bad, for the reason you mention above, it probably looks okay.

Just a long way around to get someplace to which there was a more direct path.

Just attaching the center strip with a good adhesive would have served the intended purpose.

26. I bet it will confuse a lot of people to see the late bed rails, late grill with a split window that is curved.

Its your shit, you should like what you have and make what you don't like into something you do like. I want to see it too I know you said you would post em when you got home. So we will wait patiently to see it. A Fulton on an A.D is tits

27. verde742

verde742

Come on show us, Seeing is believing..

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Exactly! The split windows have a "Point" or "Crest" on the front center of the roof where the Windshield splits.
    54/55's are curved with no "Crest", hence the 54/55 one piece Windshield is Curved to match the curve on the cab while the trucks with split Windshields are flat.

29. verde742

verde742

we haven't even addressed the inside, dash, etc.