Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar big block ideas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Jun 5, 2013.

1. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

This is a great thread. I have a 440 with a 727 trans from a '73 motor home. I got a 57 chev wagon that its going into. Good info here.

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Here she is back in her final resting place. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381149893.618824.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

4. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Second that, the "509" is a great stick, and works well on the street or the strip. You might want to open up the oil pick-up in the block to 1/2" so you can use the hemi pick-up.

5. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

Here's some pix of my 440 now a 512 cube and some pix of the 440 source heads I bought from 440 source a great place to deal with.

Sorry for all the pix

Attached Files:

6. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

There's nothing wrong with 915 or 452 or 906 heads - for decades plenty of miscreants have been tracked down like gazelles and hauled off to jail in pursuit vehicles powered by them. That said, I like to toss them in a corner and use Edelbrock's for the price alone. "440 Source" hardware should never be mentioned in the same sentence.....

For rockers, if you can find them, the old Crane / Isky adjustable iron rocker (non roller tip) do a great job and are usually affordable. Avoid the Chinese shiny anodized aluminum rockers you see on Ebay unless you like troubles.

7. mdcolby

mdcolby

looks like a great project and great choice of motor! Can't wait to see it finished

8. Cool video,,,,,,I almost chuckled when I saw you go to adjust the timing and then realize that it is counter clockwise rotation,,,,LOL.

you will love the 440 mopar,,,it is a great engine,,right up there with all the other top makes,,Mopar made some very good products.

It made me remember my old Challenger,,,it really hauled.
    440,,tunnel ram,,,2 750's,,,,,Doug Nash 5 speed tranny,,,,narrow Dana,,,Koni coilovers. Man I wish I still had it.

No,,,,wait a minute,,,,I do ,,,,,it is still here 32 years later for me. I am glad I hung onto it !!!

Tommy

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

10. bullseye577

bullseye577
    from Detroit

Hello everyone
    I have some ? On a 400bb..the motor I have is a 78 b block all stock. I bought a weiand dual quad tunnel ram for it and I have 2 holley 600 cfm carbs. I just want it to run not make monster hp. I have the 452 heads also. I just got the ram basicly for the look. Anyone have any tips? Cam swap Maybe?

11. daliant

daliant

That's a lot of carb with little compression, get the compression up around 9.5 to 1 if you want it to pull halfway decent.

12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

346's or 452's will work fine. Use a steel shim head gasket and cut the heads .020 or so. Call Racer Brown Cams in Baltimore, 410-866-7660 2pm-8pm. Ask for a SSH-44, .510-292. Put it in about 4-advanced to help build some cylinder pressure. With a decent intake, carb and exhaust you should be able to make an honest 370-380 H.P.

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

It should make that HP stock....

14. 73RR

73RR

It would be all to easy to bash you for making such a foolish move...You have an intake designed for an engine that you don't have.
    No, a cam swap will not help. Lots-o-compression will help.

15. bullseye577

bullseye577
    from Detroit

73 you call it bashing.. I'll call it learning.
    Would smaller carbs work? Is getting the heads done the only way? Im not opposed to either I'm just gathering info. I want the tunnel ram look, so I'll do what I have to to make it work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 73RR

73RR

I said it would be easy to bash...but I have not and will not.
    The tunnel ram is a drag race part. What car is the engine in?
    Head work would not at top of my list. If/when you need to look at the heads then you should also look at aluminum pieces. By the time you invest money into modifying iron heads you can justify aluminum parts.
    Currently, with a stock engine, your cam choices are limited due to relatively low c/r.

The 400 is a great engine but...
    If you are trying to learn and are willing to do what needs to be done then buy this book or this book (and any others you find) and read up on B&RB engines.

17. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I think the tunnel ram could be made to run pretty well. After all, a stock motor makes pretty good vacuum and that's going to help get the air through those runners at low RPM. You could use a stiff vac secondary spring in both carbs (so they hardly ever opened) and stagger the primaries.

This is all predicated on your statement 'I just want it to run not make monster HP'.

18. bullseye577

bullseye577
    from Detroit

The engine isn't in anything at the moment but It will be in a rat rod/custom truck at some point. I have a 383 torker intake I could put on it.
    I just really want the cool factor of a tunnel ram. Someone suggested not hooking up one of the carbs, is that even a possibility? Sounds like it would cause some trouble