Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mark68

Mark68

Looks like fun and you having your dad around to help. Thats a blessing in itself

2. Model T1

Model T1

Enjoyed reading and looking at the photos. Great car with interesting family history. I had a 33 Master 4-door all original. How boring!
    As much as I like red wheels and wide whites stick to your plan.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk

4. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Love that chevy I have one too I like my 33 better than my 32

5. thanks!

6. yes, it has been fun working with him, he is a great mechanic! i took all the brakes apart,took the front axle and steering apart, pulled the 336 gears out, cleaned and touched up the paint underneath and spent some time sandblasting priming and painting the parts i took off. he really enjoyed bolting the stuff together with it cleaned and painted.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Allmotor

Allmotor

Cool car and story. You don't see many 33 Mercury Series.

8. i never liked the red with the green, i remember coming home from school and sitting at the picnic table out back, with a needle and thread changing the red on the door panels to black using fabric i bought.

Attached Files:

9. more leg room, better ride, better steering etc... no comparison.

10. thanks, one of my best friends has a master,we have compared the size difference, the mercury series is quite a bit smaller.

11. progress on the brake resto; rebuilt the wheel cylinders, cleaned and/or replaced the hardware, cleaned and painted!
    456 gears are back in, i took them out in 1980.

Attached Files:

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

First off, Thank You for showing us the pictures, makes it so nice to follow along.
    It's looking really good.

Does the engine run?

13. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Yep mines a mercury series and it's a lot smaller but the doors are longer and it does have more leg room I wished I had found mine with the frame fenders and hood but it's gonna be on a deuce frame with a 33 truck shell having history makes them a lot more fun to build !

14. getting the motor to run was easy, there was no fuel in it to go bad, so i put fuel in it, checked the oil, and hooked up a good battery banged on the electric fuel pump and it fired right up.
    a little back story of the engine that is in it now; my dad and i went to help my uncle work on the stock car my uncle was building, i was given the job of going into his school bus storage "shed" and find the 1963 283 he took out of a wrecked station wagon in 1964. i had to drag it out to the door so we could hook it with the tow truck and bring it inside, my dad and uncle loosened it up and that motor went into the vega bodied stock car. it ran two seasons, runner up the first year [to Randy lajoie], then point champion the second and final year. they closed the track and built a maul:mad::(
    when i pulled the 301 out to rebuild it, my uncle gave me this motor to put in the car, i ran it, then switched back to the fresh 301. in the mean time a buddy needed an engine because he sunk his blazer at the fairground while trying to drive through a pond, he ran this motor for a few months till he bought a crate motor. within a week another friend blew the 350 in his '40 studebaker, so we put the motor in the car to run the rest of the season.
    motor sat under my workbench until something broke in the 301 and i swopped it back into the car and that is where it has been. runs smooth and quiet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wow.... that engine and car have a lot of history, it should remain in the car.

16. fatkoop

fatkoop

Wow. A friend of mine has a '33 mercury bodied Chevy here in Colorado. I understand they are very rare. It's the only one I've ever seen. It was a racer too in the '60's. Had a 409 with tunnelram, but now has a small block, 350 turbohydro. Very nice, roomy cars, ride nice with the 4 leaf spring arrangement. Good luck on yours, great story!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. glenn, yes it would be ok to leave that motor, but i am going to keep adding to the history by changing it. there is some neat history on the motor that is going in.when i pull the motor out of storage i'll take pictures and explain:cool:
    fatkoop,thanks, do you have pictures?

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to see you and your Dad getting this car back to how it looked when he built it. I vote for the black wheels, just as the magazine photos prove they were. Bob

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES! That was a nice thing to do, your T build thread is one of the best on the HAMB. When Ted gets finished with the Coupe he wants a T Snowmobile. Bob :D

20. Great story on you and your dad, and THE CAR! Keep up the good work!

21. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Very nice Ted you and your dad working together on the car is priceless. Your doing an outstanding job and I'm glad your finished rebuilding all those houses.

22. Bob. did the 301 parts get used on ally-oop?

23. snowed in today, have to wrk on it:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. pushing to make your drag strip reunion show. should be a fun ride with the 456's:D

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That's a cool car plus being able to stay in the family all these years. My dad had this 35 Std in the early 60's in Gibralter Michigan. It had a 322 Buick, LaSalle Trans and Olds rear. Someone stopped by one night and offered what was alot of money at the time for it, so having a young family he let it go. Never seen it again.

Attached Files:

Stogy, ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  26. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I see your dad had traction masters,brackets are still therevery cool rod

27. cool car, looks like the hubcaps my dad ran on the rear of the car.

28. traction master bars are up in my parts room, i ran with them on for years, i was under the car one time and decided to see how it rode without them. the car rode so much better i never put them back on....but.....

29. I'm sure it rode fine once it was out of your driveway:rolleyes: