Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '57 chevy stepside build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abriel68, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flamed48

Flamed48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390960218.776556.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Wow!! That is nice!!

3. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just installed the keyed ignition switch. Nailed it on the first try. Connected all previous wiring for lights and guages. Feels alot better to turn it on via key vs crossing wires.

Attached Files:

4. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just installed the keyed ignition switch. Nailed it on the first try. Connected all previous wiring for lights and guages. Feels alot better to turn it on via key vs crossing wires.

5. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Here's a look from today. Testing the idea of blacked out grill bumpers and emblems cause im not a fan of chrome. Interior is painted black now as well.

Attached Files:

6. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Emblems blacked out. My radiator is just high enough to where you can see my gilmer main pulley.

Lil bro is getting home from Hawaii tomorrow so the flip kit should be installed in about two days.

Attached Files:

7. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just finished my flip kit install. This project has been real rewarding. Its been a great time working w my lil bro on this. This truck is def gna be in my family for a long time.

The flip kit I got was from ebay 85 bucks and was a breeze to install. And I love the amount of drop I got in the rear. After rims and tires im thinking im gna drop it an inch or two more.

Attached Files:

8. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just purchased some rims and tires for the trick. Just waiting on some wheel adapters to show up and few other parts to get it looking sweet.

9. ChefMike

ChefMike

looks like you are off to a great start! good luck with your project

10. abriel58,

Who listed the axle flip kit on ebay? Been looking for an inexpensive one!

Thanks, Mac the Yankee

11. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

CPP classic performance parts I used 55 56 57 chevy 3100 flip kit as key words. I tried copying the link but my phone is funky. 85 bucks free shipping comes w shock mount spring perches and bolts and nuts.

12. Very cool- thanks!!!

13. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just throwing my wild ideas out here.
    Ive seen it done with a 22" wheel up front and a 24" in the rear. Just got my hands on some 24" 6 spoke wheel very similar look to an american torque thruster five spoke just w the additional spoke. Here come the wild ideas

So to start off I am using an adapter from the camaro hub to the chevy six lug. Instead of using the spacer im going to drill mill and tap the adapter into the stock camaro rotor. The wheel will then bolt up.

The wheel is ginormous in diameter. Its a 10" wide wheel and tire combo with alot of back spacing which will help keep the tire under the truck away from the fender. If the tire rubs too much ill either narrow the front a arms or. Ill go with a full exposed wheel look up front using both a spring lift combined with a ball joint spacer and a body lift. The rear will be slammed low just exposing 5/8 of the wheel. And will have to be c notched dramatically. I believe its called a 10" step notch setup for air bags.

Its pretty crazy and hasn't really been done. all my previous projects have never been "ORDINARY". So I never expected this one to be anything stock common or ordinary. Should be interesting.

14. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Side note just ordered lowering blocks and u bolts, ordered the carpet and padding I wanted for it from Lowe's a charcoal grey color, wheel adapters so this week I should be getting alot done with it.

15. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just bolted up the rear rims. Dropped the axle 4-6 inches by installing a 4" block then removed 4 leafs so with the sag and the actual springs missing I got plenty of drop to just show about half the rear rim.

Next on the agenda is to install a 10" step c notch and to drill and tap the rotors to bolt the adapter to so I can bolt the front wheels up.

Just got my drill and tap kit im gna clamp them and drill press them when the adapters come in the mail.

Here's a look what it'll look like when its installed keep in mind the rear will be lower.

Attached Files:

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Not digging the wheels, just because of that you are going to get a lot of flak from everyone around here since this is a traditional car website.. those are more low rider/street rod and not what this forum is meant for. I am not the forum police, just letting you know ahead of time that you are going to get burned. I like what you are doing though, its a challenge to work on this stuff! keep up the good work!

17. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Well I am following the rules its being posted under the "traditional styled hot rod and customs". Looks like a traditional custom hot rod to me. Thanks though.

18. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Your DONK rims will not go over well here. Pick up any pre-'65 magazine and find a car with 24x10's. Good luck with that...

19. Got a link to the flip kit you bought ? Does it require notching the frame ? I'm going old school on my 56 with the front and keeping the straight axle but dropping it. Want to drop the rear a similar amount and will also be using an S10 4x4 rear end so swapping spring saddles on the rear is already in the plans. Not much into the "in the weeds" style, just want to drop the whole truck maybe 4". Nice job so far. Will be watching this build. Not diggin the wheels either but it's your truck & I'm not the forum police. I'm smart enough to pick out the parts I like & skip over the stuff that's not my bag..

20. finn

finn

Ditch the wheels. they are obscenely ugly and definately not traditional. Looks like a ghetto cruiser with them.

21. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

So just cuz they arent 14" or 15" stock mags cragars rallys or steelies everyone thinks its a no no. Im pretty sure mr chip foose designs plenty of custom hot rods with large diameter rims. This is the custom section of this forum.

22. Awww man.. I was digging this thread for the build tips but if you keep arguing about the damn wheels I don't see this ending well... You would be WAY ahead to just delete those pics and tell folks you haven't decided what you're doing about wheels & tires yet. There are forums for that style. This ain't it.. Don't say we didn't warn ya. PS.. I can't be sure but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Chip Foose is banned from here. ;)

23. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Lol its cool guess ill find a new forum. This forum is great for the build tips though.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

You don't have to go to a new forum, just don't post pictures of stuff that is off topic. Again, I said I enjoyed watching your thread so far, please keep on it.

I enjoy a lot of OT cars and items, but don't post them here. Like I said I was trying to warn you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.