Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Swoopy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rick finch

rick finch

2. Here's some more beauty!

Attached Files:

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've long had the idea of using a VW Beetle from the cowl back as the rear half of a front-engined '30s/'40s-esque GT. My thinking had revolved around grafting a front clip to the VW floorpan to create a Lotus-like backbone frame of considerably longer wheelbase, with a DeDion rear axle carried by the VW arms and torsion bars, and a beam front axle. In my mind the Beetle provenance would be slightly clearer, the detail somewhat more traditional, and the overall character something between an early Bristol and, say, a Gordon Keeble.

Welcome, VOOV, by the way.

4. Care to add pictures of examples you like of said cars?

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Bristol 400:
    [​IMG]

Gordon Keeble:
    [​IMG]

A Jensen 541 or CV8 might also work, character-wise:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeDion is in this case a suspension type rather than a manufacturer. Here is a fabricated DeDion axle:
    [​IMG]
    See also the thread, DeDion axles on hot rods.

I did a drawing of the VW idea many years ago and fear that I can't put my hand to it. That prompted me to redo it in Photoshop (or rather Gimp):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Spoggie likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The Bristol certainly announced their connection to BMW in an unmistakable way.

The Gordon-Keeble, as I recall, was a predecessor to the Iso Rivolta -- whether there was actually any design in common, I don't know, but the concept was nearly identical. Too bad that so few G-K's were built, because they are very neat looking cars (aside from the headlights) and were apparently very nice drivers to boot.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

I don't remember a connection between the Gordon Keeble & the Iso Rivolta other than Giugiaro penned them both, and Bertone built the aluminum prototype, but The Peerless and the later Aluminum Buick V8 powered Gordon GT did , however spawn the square-tube space frame that would become the Gordon-Keeble.
    The early 283 c.i.d. and later 327 c.i.d. Chevrolet powered Keebles were kinda ''kitcar like'', with their fibreglass bodies, but were fun to drive "if'' ya could keep them running & together.:D

8. rfraze

rfraze

Just saw this one over on Coolest picture on the HAMB. Pretty swoopy!!

Attached Files:

9. rick finch

rick finch

'37 Chrysler Imperial Town Car by LeBaron for Mrs. Walter P. Chrysler...

[​IMG]

Spoggie and wicarnut like this.
  10. rick finch

rick finch

BMW 328 Kamm coupe...

[​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  11. rick finch

rick finch

Desoto Airflow coupe...

[​IMG]

Spoggie and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. rick finch

rick finch

13. is this even possible?

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is a local friends 35 Chevy Master sloper (All enclosed coupe), totally unique to Australia. A sedanette before GM built them in the US. Not in the same vein as others in this thread.

While I'm at it here is another local car, a genuine all aluminum 32 Chevy speedster.

Attached Files:

Spoggie likes this.
  15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A number of years ago, I saw Phil Hill run one of those teardrop Talbots at the Monterey Historics. Now, Phil could get around a race track quickly in a school bus, but the Talbot was cookin'! Definitely a sporty car, despite its boulevard style.

16. I'm sure a tatra has probably been posted but they're too damn cool so here's another

Attached Files:

17. i bet some of the collectors nowadays would turn around in their skin seeing a picture like that though... id really get a kick out of it tho:D

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It has, and they are. Here's a picture of a very early Tatra type 77, and I think it's just about as swoopy as cars get:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. soapman

soapman
    from California

Almost looks like an Airflow limo.
    Cool.....
    [​IMG]

rjones35 likes this.
  20. verde742

verde742

3 1/2 hours later.......whew !! most enjoyable !!

I realize there is more to life than gas mileage,,,,

21. Rikster

Rikster

I just did an article on the Walter Wyss W2, streamlined hand built car from the early 1930's.

Lots of neat photos in the ARTICLE

[​IMG]

22. Very interesting- especially the front fenders and extensions. Anybody know of other 2-piece streamlined setups like that?

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I picked up on that for the Pre-Streamline Art Deco thread (see post 159). It looks like I should do the same for the Backbone Chassis thread.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There was a wild-looking Bugatti T57 roadster with a similar arrangement. A white one was shown at Pebble Beach 20 years or so ago, but as I recall it was discredited as a fake. I don't know if the fake was a copy of a lost car, or a figment of somebody's imagination. Brumm made a 1/43 scale diecast model of it, and I have one. The articulated front fender isn't obvious in the model, but it was that way in the fullsize car.

Edit: This is the car I was talking about. I believe that there were one or more of these originally built by Bugatti in the '30s, although I understood that this one was a later fake:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  25. [​IMG]

"1956 Chevrolet Impala concept car"

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The Impala concept car is kinda interesting. The overall size and layout are pretty typical '50s 2-door hardtop, but it appears to be quite low overall -- more like an Iso Rivolta or other later 4-seater GT car. I would have preferred the grille lips painted body color, and better looking wires.

27. Jose85

Jose85

some German stuff:

1938 Hanomag Sturm-probably one-off? :confused:

[​IMG]

and the little Hanomag 1.3

[​IMG]

Adler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Jose85

Jose85